Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWD 5x05 "Self Help" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    I agree that the content was great and it added depth to a potentially great character. I knew the story from the comics but it was nice to see it play out on tv. Was it just me though or did the edits seem slightly off. It seemed as though they moved very quickly from a flashback to "modern day"? I wondered if the UK version was getting butchered again?
    I think that was just how the show was edited together in the first place, to make the transition more jarring.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I think that was just how the show was edited together in the first place, to make the transition more jarring.
    Ah right I just wondered because Fox UK have cut episodes before so I thought it was an option.

It didn’t change the fact it was a great episode and it feels as though we had some quality time with Abe, Rosita, Eugene and to an extent Tara which makes them feel more like a part of the group. I really like all four of those and this episode kind of added to that.

United States
    Thinking about the episode more really unravels certain elements of Abraham's character to me. Now I understand why he didnt want to stay put in any one location and preferred to keep moving on with his mission; the haunting memory of what happened to his family wouldn't cross his mind if this false sense of hope wasn't occupying him. It gave him something to work towards to, a goal, anything to take his mind off the horrors of this new world. Him roughing up Eugene and the look of fear in Rosita brought all that terror back once he realized there wasn't any hope at all.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    Ah right I just wondered because Fox UK have cut episodes before so I thought it was an option.

It didn’t change the fact it was a great episode and it feels as though we had some quality time with Abe, Rosita, Eugene and to an extent Tara which makes them feel more like a part of the group. I really like all four of those and this episode kind of added to that.
    Yeah it was definitely a good way to get to know Abraham/Eugene/Rosita more and establish them more firmly, likewise with Tara. I look forward to hopefully seeing them back with Team Rick and mixing them all in together and get to see some different on-screen partnerships play out in little stories here and there. We needed some time alone with these characters and we got that, and it was a spiffing episode ... you really get a whack in the gut from Abraham's back story and man, that moment where he just goes straight for his gun and sticks it in his mouth without even pausing for thought, it's just so automatic ... it was chilling. The more you think about the details of his back story, the more effed up it is ... and now that his one reason for surviving has been shown up as a total lie, he's right back to square one. This dude's been masking this pain for however long it's been - months, more than a year maybe - and all of a sudden everything comes crashing down, the little barriers he set up to shut away the agony of losing his family specifically because of the monster he unleashed from within himself to - quite justifiably - annihilate the brutes who raped his family (his former neighbours for crying out loud!) ... chilling stuff indeed!

Oh and this week's Talking Dead was excellent - Cudlitz and McDermott seem like really nice, fun guys, and their chemistry together was a lot of fun to watch ... I prefer it when TWD members outnumber the famous fan guests (in this case all three were TWD family members).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 11-Nov-2014 at 04:48 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah it was definitely a good way to get to know Abraham/Eugene/Rosita more and establish them more firmly, likewise with Tara. I look forward to hopefully seeing them back with Team Rick and mixing them all in together and get to see some different on-screen partnerships play out in little stories here and there. We needed some time alone with these characters and we got that, and it was a spiffing episode ... you really get a whack in the gut from Abraham's back story and man, that moment where he just goes straight for his gun and sticks it in his mouth without even pausing for thought, it's just so automatic ... it was chilling. The more you think about the details of his back story, the more effed up it is ... and now that his one reason for surviving has been shown up as a total lie, he's right back to square one. This dude's been masking this pain for however long it's been - months, more than a year maybe - and all of a sudden everything comes crashing down, the little barriers he set up to shut away the agony of losing his family specifically because of the monster he unleashed from within himself to - quite justifiably - annihilate the brutes who raped his family (his former neighbours for crying out loud!) ... chilling stuff indeed!

Oh and this week's Talking Dead was excellent - Cudlitz and McDermott seem like really nice, fun guys, and their chemistry together was a lot of fun to watch ... I prefer it when TWD members outnumber the famous fan guests (in this case all three were TWD family members).
    I still want to know Rosita's backstory, dammit! Haha

If a bland character like Beth can get some time why not Rosita? I hope she doesn't get T-Dogged.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    So.. Is Eugene dead from that punch/fall?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    If only he'd had that party up front, and put the business in back.

Reverse mullets save lives.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    He made pretty damn unpleasant noise when he hit the floor.

Gotta say, when he shouted that he wasn't a scientist and I saw Abrahams face, I shat my pants a little bit (especially after seeing him playing his own version of "supermarket sweep" in flashbacks)

Good episode overall. Season 5 is rocking every kind of way!

Oh, and that static herd just a-wandering around was creepy as fuck...were they at a slaughterhouse or something?
    Last edited by Legion2213; 11-Nov-2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

England
    I was on tenterhooks as to the fate of Carole, Beth & whoever Darryl had brought back to camp from the last couple of episodes, so I found this one to be a bit of a let down. Maybe that opinon will change once we soon get to mid-season break, and presumably the survivors are reunited & faced with another mid-season cliff-hanger.

The good stuff was negated by some of the 'night' scenes where they were so dark I might as well have been listening to the radio, (a niggle in some of the other episodes this season as well)... The bus crash was another eye-roll.... on a par with Lori's crash IMHO which drew vitriol here at the time.

Still it was nice to see Rosita, Eugene & Abraham characters develop more... Abraham's back-story was a highlight as was some of his dialogue. Eugene's use of the water cannon was also neat, though perhaps uncharacteristic. Pity too that Abraham didn't see the truck until after the group had to use the toilet water to drink!

Overall impression was disappointing, but will no doubt still tune in next week...

PS: What did Eugene say about the priest after the crash? I've listened to it a few times & can't make it out.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbomb View Post
    PS: What did Eugene say about the priest after the crash? I've listened to it a few times & can't make it out.
    I had a hard time making that out, but he was definitely haunted by the parallel between his and the Priest's complicity in the deaths of others, which was nice to see.

I really enjoyed this episode, as these characters needed to be filled out a bit for the viewing audience. I was also glad they didn't leave the D.C. angle hanging out in the wind too long.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    If only he'd had that party up front, and put the business in back.

Reverse mullets save lives.
    Pearls of wisdom to tuck away for laterz...

I thought he wasn't doing a very good job of NOT spoiling it on Talking Dead. I saw him look nervously a time or two at Gale. Obviosly we haven't seen the last of him, but he might very well be eating his mashed potatos through a straw and drooling alot. Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post

If a bland character like Beth can get some time why not Rosita? I hope she doesn't get T-Dogged.
    T-Bagged, possibly, but never T-Dogged.
    Unless, I guess, that she ends up getting T-Doggystyled...?!?

Administrator

England
    Good episode!

Two questions...
    1) RE Abraham , who were the woman and two kids suppose to be? Did I miss a clue/hint?
    2) If a hose can kill the dead so easily why not simply use water pistols That scene annoyed me... How did it actually kill them?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    1) RE Abraham , who were the woman and two kids suppose to be? Did I miss a clue/hint?
    If sticking to the original source material, that was supposedly his wife and children who were apparently raped by Abraham's neighbors aka guys he killed in the beginning of the episode. Granted, I don't think the episode made that clear and I see a lot of non-comic book fans confused as a result.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    If sticking to the original source material, that was supposedly his wife and children who were apparently raped by Abraham's neighbors aka guys he killed in the beginning of the episode. Granted, I don't think the episode made that clear and I see a lot of non-comic book fans confused as a result.
    Why were they so scared of him though? Couldn't work that out...

And of course we guessed Eugene was lying ages ago... so no real suprise there!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Why were they so scared of him though? Couldn't work that out...
    Apparently, they were terrified by Abraham's brutality to their culprits and run off.