Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWD 5x05 "Self Help" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 5x05 "Self Help" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Please keep all talk of episode 5x05 "Self Help" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Episode 505: “Self Help” - “A new set of issues confront our group while on a mission. Will they be able to push through and survive these challenges? Or better yet, each other?”

Directed by: Ernest Dickerson, Written by: Heather Bellson & Seth Hoffman

Got a feelin' this is going to be more of an action packed episode.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 16-Nov-2014 at 11:03 AM.

England
    Aye, and it looks like it will be totally focused on the Washington storyline as well. Maybe they can flesh out the "cure group" a bit more, make them a bit more interesting.

(so long as there are no pre-zombie flashbacks, I watch TWD for zombie action).
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Ernest Dickerson directing? Fuck yeah.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Sooo...the mullet is out of the bag now...didn't expect it so soon!

United States
    Wasn't really anything revealing in this episode for readers of the comic. Next episode looks promising!

United States
    I've given Abraham a hard time. Though aware of Eugenes truth I struggled with Abrahams blind devotion. I will cut him some slack. Lost his family, made the decision to opt out, and Eugene gave him the the mission oriented reason to survive. Still a bit dumb but ok Abraham, I'll back off. Nice job nailing Rosita. Prime ass in the appocolypse is hard to come by.

I have to add , our group isn't very good at driving. How many times have incidents occurred a short distance down the road. Lori, Daryl I'm sure more. This probably falls under Wylde's lazy writing idea. I've seen enough vehicles flippin over watching 'A-team' 'Dukes' 'Fall Guy' etc, that they really didn't need to do it. I think it's time to take Tara's plan and peddle bikes. I really hope they left a message at the bus for team Rick that they survived crash. That scene could demoralize team Rick from continuing.
    Last edited by facestabber; 10-Nov-2014 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Addition

Twitching

United States
    Beware false prophets and all that,
    Abraham was coming unglued regardless, with his insistence on trying to plough through a mega-herd that would've been complete suicide. Eugene just brought the BS out in the open. The sad reality is/was that Eugene coulda been all he claimed to be, but Abraham was never going to get him and anyone else following him to Washington. A leader has to be flexible, and responsive to the needs of the group. Abraham was just the opposite, becoming more rigidly inflexible the more time that went by.

If I were any of the rest of the group, now's a damned good time to backtrack and link up with Rick & Co. Fifteen miles may be a decent distance in their reality, but since there's no real reason to have divided the group in the first place, it only makes sense to reunify it rather than continue stumbling around as two separate groups.

Good episode.

Postscript: As for the bus crash, I was fine with it. Eugene's exposition where he explains how and why he sabotaged the bus makes it a valid plot element, as opposed to trite if they'd just had it "happen" to crash.
    Last edited by Wyldwraith; 10-Nov-2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Postscript

England
    Great episode.
    Completely forgot about Abrahams back story.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    I thought WD would squander the good it got last week, but this was by WD standards anyway a passable episode.

United States
    The way Eugene hit the pavement after Abraham knocked him silly was hilarious. I was afraid they would have killed off Rosita, I wanna see more of her. I forgot all about Abraham's backstory too so it was cool see it played off here; and I dig the approach they took in that narrative.

Let's just see who is the first to complain about the water hose haha.

Good episode.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    The way Eugene hit the pavement after Abraham knocked him silly was hilarious. I was afraid they would have killed off Rosita, I wanna see more of her. I forgot all about Abraham's backstory too so it was cool see it played off here; and I dig the approach they took in that narrative.

Let's just see who is the first to complain about the water hose haha.

Good episode.
    When Eugene hit, all I could think of was yelling "World star, you got knocked da fuq out". After last nights episode I wanna see a whole lot more of Rosita. Very bold move of her to place her hand on her handgun when she stepped between a KO'd Eugene and Abraham.

Super Moderator

UK
    Top episode - I really enjoyed it! I thought it had a good mix of humour and horror - e.g. Eugene in the "self help" section versus Abraham's flashbacks, which were handled well I think. You could have easily gone over the top, but as it was from Abraham's POV you wouldn't see what happened to his family at the supermarket anyway - and I'm glad we didn't see it.

I don't recall if that was in the main comics, or if it was some sort of Free Comic Book Day tie-in or something ... if it was in the main comics then I must have forgotten about that revelation. I knew that his family was dead, but I didn't recall the circumstances. Very grim stuff and a horrifying thing to think about when Cuddlitz talked about it further on Talking Dead (that those were Abraham's neighbours who perpetrated the crime against his "family" ... the fact that he didn't say "wife", but "family", made it even more horrifying).

Loved the firehose walker massacre - good to see that even now, after all these walker kills, they're still finding cool new ways to dispatch them!

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Sooo...the mullet is out of the bag now...didn't expect it so soon!
    I'm glad that they didn't drag it out any longer. I think they revealed it at just the right time here, and in some ways as soon as they could have done. I was impressed by how they played it out, as well. Abraham didn't half flip his shit!

Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I have to add , our group isn't very good at driving. How many times have incidents occurred a short distance down the road. Lori, Daryl I'm sure more. This probably falls under Wylde's lazy writing idea. I've seen enough vehicles flippin over watching 'A-team' 'Dukes' 'Fall Guy' etc, that they really didn't need to do it. I think it's time to take Tara's plan and peddle bikes. I really hope they left a message at the bus for team Rick that they survived crash. That scene could demoralize team Rick from continuing.
    Let's be honest, if the bus just went head-first into the parked car and stopped that'd be fairly shit ... realistic, but not exactly spectacular ... the classic, yet physically unlikely, 'car rocketing into the air' is a staple of all on-screen car wrecks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    1) I have to admit I did get a sick little chuckle out of that ... that dead straight fall style is comedy gold.

There was another brilliant comedy fall from "Red Dwarf" (when Cat knocks himself out when attacking a baddie), but I can't find it on YouTube.

2) I know just what more you wanna see of her too, you mucky pup.

Speaking of Rosita - I loved it when she stepped in front of Abraham with her hand on her gun and ready for a show down ... badass.

TWD 5x05 Memes:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/...x05-memes.html

United States
    Minion, you saw what I did there. ☺️

Yeah, dude, when Rosita went for her gun was pretty cool. A minor detail but adds a lot to her character. As one of the few Latin characters on TWD, I'm definitely rooting for her!
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 10-Nov-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Technical difficulties.

UK
    Majorly enjoyed this episode. It felt like we got to now Abe, Rosita and Eugene a bit more and Tara seems to be growing as a character.

I loved, Loved, LOVED the water hose kills and the sick humour of Abe laughing at the message written on the floor. It was also a nice touch that Glenn caught scent of the herd way before they saw it, nice little detail that one. I was also glad to see the revelation from Eugene in this environment because it was just perfect timing. Overall it was a nice mix of action, comedy and character down time. It was a massive step up from last week.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Abraham's flashbacks, which were handled well I think.
    I agree that the content was great and it added depth to a potentially great character. I knew the story from the comics but it was nice to see it play out on tv. Was it just me though or did the edits seem slightly off. It seemed as though they moved very quickly from a flashback to "modern day"? I wondered if the UK version was getting butchered again?

Ireland
    Glad they didn't stretch out Billy the Fish's scientist nonsense. I wouldn't know how anyone with an ounce of grey matter would look at him and go yeah...that guy's a scientist.

Having read the comics, that reveal was known to me, but I liked the way they handled it.

Abe is a dope, and just cos he lost his family doesn't make him any less a dope. But, I hope they don't suddenly change him into a Mensa candidate now that his main "intro" story is finished.

A decent episode over all though. This year is doing well with good episodes I think.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 11-Nov-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....