Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Evil Dead (TV series)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Usually Halloween night is reserved for Romero's trilogy after the kids are in bed, but tonight seems like a good year to switch it up to Army of Darkness and Ash vs Evil Dead! I really hope this lives up the many years of waiting for Ash's return....

Super Moderator

UK
    Also, if anyone didn't see it in the shoutbox - SEASON 2 has been confirmed!

Super Moderator

UK
    So - who's seen the first episode?

I watched it today and loved it - so much fun!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    So - who's seen the first episode?

I watched it today and loved it - so much fun!
    That's good to hear.

The reviews do generally seem to be very good - http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/29/9...bruce-campbell
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I also loved it! It's a blast from start to finish and as a result, feels like it zooms by.

I've always been more of a fan of Army of Darkness because I felt like Raimi didn't really discover the right balance of horror and comedy until that third film, and I'm extremely happy to see that this new show follows suit.

Can't wait for the rest of the season, as well as future seasons! 9/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I also loved it! It's a blast from start to finish and as a result, feels like it zooms by.

I've always been more of a fan of Army of Darkness because I felt like Raimi didn't really discover the right balance of horror and comedy until that third film, and I'm extremely happy to see that this new show follows suit.

Can't wait for the rest of the season, as well as future seasons! 9/10
    Agreed - it really did zoom by! Very energetic, an all-round good time.

The bar-room toilet sex scene was slightly strange to see (there's been very little in the way of sex - at least that, erm, rambunctious - in the trilogy) ... but the scene works well and we get a slick and efficient catch-up on who Ash is now and where he's at in life, which then gets picked at more and more over the episode.

The gore was groovy too - plenty of inventive splatstick fun - and the mix of practical and CG effects worked well, I think.

Super excited for the rest of the season!

England
    Thought this was great as well. A real nice surprise. Starz seem you have a good record with genre TV. Don't underestimate the Raimi affect though
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The second episode was another that seems like it flies by. Tons of great Ash one-liners, gore, and funnies. If the show can keep this up, its going to work wonderfully watching it in one large chunk on Blu Ray.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Cool!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Thoroughly enjoyed both episodes, loved the gore, glad to see Ash back kicking Deadite ass!!
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Super Moderator

UK
    Agreed - second episode was just as much fun as the first - bring on episode three!!!

The chainsaw decapitation was gleefully gory and drawn out - fantastic! Loved all the little bits of sly humour and Ash just generally being awesome.

England
    This is available On demand on Virgin now
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Still enjoying this
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Still enjoying this
    Me too - lots of fun, so it is.

It would be nice if some of the other directors sprinkled in a bit more of the 'Raimi-ish' visuals to keep the consistency up in terms of the 'Evil Dead look', but other than that I'm loving it.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 11-Dec-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    My only issue is that the episodes need a longer runtime. 30 minutes feels more like 10 minutes with show like this.