Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Evil Dead (TV series)

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    My only issue is that the episodes need a longer runtime. 30 minutes feels more like 10 minutes with show like this.
    Then again, better to be left wanting more than struggling to wade through it.

I know what you mean though - it does go fast ... the end of the latest episode:

THE CABIN!!! - and with Ash's severed hand scuttling back to it
    got me all hot and bothered. I can't wait to see how the remaining three episodes go.

Super Moderator

UK
    Man, I loved this eighth episode!!!

It was great to get back to the cabin - and to see it as this haunted, painful place for Ash - it was good to get some emotion into Ash as well, to see the cost of what he's lost, to be haunted by those old memories (e.g. Linda's severed head in the vice taunting him). Seems like the history of the cabin in the show is a combination of the first and second movies - e.g. the two holes in the door and Cheryl in the cellar from #1, with the death of Linda and the Knowby stuff from #2.

So many groovy references and call backs, but not done in a cloying way - more of a 'haunted past, frozen in time' kind of way ... very eerie!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this continues in the last couple of episodes of the season!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Dec-2015 at 09:25 AM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Agreed! The return to the cabin episode is one of the best so far! As you say, there are lots of references, but none of them feel forced. There was also quite a bit of weight to the episode with Ash reminiscing about his previous encounter s at the cabin. Great episode all around! I absolutely love what they've done with this series!

Ireland
    Well, that was absolute cobblers.

A show that really had no idea what it was doing or where it was going.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Well, that was absolute cobblers.

A show that really had no idea what it was doing or where it was going.
    Eh?! pfft ... you never like anything, shoot.

I've loved this season.

I was wondering where on earth they could go with it, but Ash is the sort who likes to bugger things up, so there's certainly scope for a major series of battles ahead in Season 2.

With the cabin playing such a major role in the last three episodes of the season I hope this isn't the last we see of it, but I do understand the need to not be tied down to just that cabin ... but it is, in many ways, the epicentre of all this chaos, so hopefully we return there in season two. I loved all the little references, which were handled very well - and little callbacks, too - e.g. Jake's manky old rotting skeleton in the cellar.

Rick Jacobson did a fantastic job directing the season finale - exactly the sort of director we need on this show to emulate the Raimi look that is key to the overall Evil Dead vibe, but also trying a few things out. There's been a couple of episodes over the season where the visuals have been disappointingly 'normal' - I presume from directors who have done a lot of work on normal telly drama shows etc - but the look of Evil Dead material is as important as Ash or the cabin or any of the other must-have elements. So yeah, Jacobson did a superb job - he nailed the tone of it all, and I'd say that the finale had the zip, whip, and all-round energy to match Raimi's premiere episode.

There have been the odd bits where it has wobbled - the episode at the doomsday prepper's compound felt terribly like filler, albeit with some good gore gags tossed in, and visually it felt a bit weak - but for the most part, particularly being that this is its first season and they're working from material that has (until now) mostly been in that secluded little cabin for 3 out of 4 movies (#1, #2, and the remake). Do I still want some of that cabin in my Evil Dead show? HELL YES I DO, but they've stepped out into Ash's world quite well for the most part (e.g. the epic fight in the diner, Value Stop, Ash's trailer). Yes, there are times when it can be a little bit like 'how can we crowbar some deadites into this episode?' - but no that things have kind have been unleashed, I doubt they'll struggle to find a way to chase Ash & Co around.

I'm eager for more!!! Can't wait for Season 2 and I hope the home video release has some juicy extras on it - I'll certainly be plopping down some cash on that.

Ireland
    Nah.

Most of the series was filler. It was unfocused gibberish, with only Ash as any kind of draw and even he was turned to mush. It hadn't a clue where it was going and there simply isn't enough story from the 'Evil Dead' to expand into a series, even if they are only 30 minute long episodes. The CGI gore was pathetic, the comedy was seriously unfunny, the punchlines telegraphed and most of the acting was simply woeful.

In all, it felt like some 90's shite TV like 'Xena - Warrior Princess', or some other sub par 3rd rate television effort.

The simple fact is, there just isn't enough to do in the 'Evil Dead' universe. By Ep 7 or 8, I was done. By Ep 10, I knew I wasn't coming back.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I couldn't disagree more. I found the entire season to be funny, exciting, and an all-around blast! Granted, I've always liked Army of Darkness the most out of the original trilogy and don't particularly care for the first two films. This series seems to be molded more after AOD. I can't wait to own this season on Blu Ray and roll on to season two!
    Last edited by bassman; 03-Jan-2016 at 09:28 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    I couldn't disagree more. I found the entire season to be funny, exciting, and an all-around blast! Granted, I've always liked Army of Darkness the most out of the original trilogy and don't particularly care for the first two films. This series seems to be molded more after AOD. I can't wait to own this season on Blu Ray and roll on to season two!
    The irony being that due to the legal/ownership status of AoD they can't explicitly reference AoD in AvsED, and yet yeah, the Ash here is very much a continuation of the AoD version, but combined with the events of ED1 and ED2 as backstory.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The irony being that due to the legal/ownership status of AoD they can't explicitly reference AoD in AvsED, and yet yeah, the Ash here is very much a continuation of the AoD version, but combined with the events of ED1 and ED2 as backstory.
    I was wondering why there had been multiple references, and even clips, from the first two films but not a single mention of Ash travelling back in time.....

United States
    I'm digging the series. I'm only just to the cabin episodes so I'm a bit out of date, but so far I'm really enjoying it. I think they found a great blend of humor and horror without it being so slapstick as ED1 & 2.

Heck, I'd watch it just for the premium Ash delivered one-liners.

"That's not racist. That's just a great dessert."

"He's cool. Don't poke it."

*looks at the $24 restaurant tab* "What I'm going to give you is worth twice that."

And Pablo and Kelly are great supporting characters. They add a ton to the show and a lot of options for playing off of Ash's character.

My son and I both walk around saying, "That is incorrect," all the time now.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Administrator

England
    Thought the final episode went out with a bit of a fizzle... but still enjoyed most of the series!

Looking forward to the next one
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Oooooh! I can't wait!

Hopefully they've trimmed out some of the padding that was evident in the first season (e.g. that 'gun nuts in the woods' episode), because it was bookened by two trios of excellent episodes, and the middle portion was overall good.

I had an absolute blast with season one - so bring on season two!!!

Thus far, it seems we Brits are only getting the first season on DVD - no Blu-Ray! - but there we go, I suppose. I'll pick it up, though. Love me some Evil Dead.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yes yes! I'll be there for this season and hopefully many more to come!

I haven't looked into the upcoming US Blu Ray release, but if it doesn't have a lengthy documentary I'll probably pass and watch it again digitally. The return of Ash deserves a release packed to the gills with features.

Super Moderator

UK
    The return of Ash deserves a release packed to the gills with features.
    I concur!