Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Evil Dead (TV series)

Administrator

England

Evil Dead (TV series)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69438

Starz announced today the greenlight of the network's next original series, the long-awaited follow-up to the classic horror film franchise The Evil Dead. The project reteams the original filmmakers, director Sam Raimi, with longtime producing partner Rob Tapert and star Bruce Campbell.

The STARZ Original series officially titled "Ash Vs. Evil Dead" will be 10 half-hour episodes. Bruce Campbell will be reprising his role as Ash, the stock boy, aging lothario and chainsaw-handed monster hunter who has spent the last 30 years avoiding responsibility, maturity and the terrors of the Evil Dead. When a Deadite plague threatens to destroy all of mankind, Ash is finally forced to face his demons -personal and literal. Destiny, it turns out, has no plans to release the unlikely hero from its "Evil" grip.
    GROOOOOVY!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    While being neither a fan of Sam Raimi or 'The Evil Dead' series, this has the opportunity to be good news. Hf someone had asked me in 1994 if their would be a TV series based on 'The Evil Dead', I would have laughed in their face for an hour.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    So WTF is going on with Evil Dead 4 then? It's morphed into a 5 hour mini series?

Hmmm ... well, any Evil Dead is good news in my view, although I was rather looking forward to a new film in the franchise. Hopefully it'll pick up the thread according to the original ending of AoD where he sleeps too long and ends up in a dystopian future. That's always been the ending to the film franchise for me, so I'd like to see that resolved.

Administrator

England
    10-15yrs too late?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    10-15yrs too late?
    No way man, no way. I've got the faith!

Twin Peaks is coming back 25 years later, so as long as the script works then it's good. They could have it so that Ash has been stuck in the dystopian future for the last twenty years and then finally discovers a way back home and that's what the show is about.

United States
    Was Ash oversleeping the theatrical UK ending? Because here it was the S-mart ending. I prefer the Rip Van Winkle ending. I am looking forward to this in any case.

United States
    Wow, when I came to this thread, I was expecting more crappity crap with new, young fresh faces just like the crappy last reboot they made.
    I'd be down for this. I really only didn't like the first one. 2 and AoD were the bomb, though. Too bad it'll be on STARZ because I ain't gotses that durned channel.
    Guess I'll find it elsewhere when it grabs me right, or I remember...
    Or someone blows up this thread at a later date.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancelikestate View Post
    Was Ash oversleeping the theatrical UK ending? Because here it was the S-mart ending. I prefer the Rip Van Winkle ending. I am looking forward to this in any case.
    Yes, the oversleep was in the UK version...

-Carl Sagan

United States
    I should be excited about this. Don't know why I'm not.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yes, the oversleep was in the UK version...

I'm not a massive fan of this series like some, but this is the first I've seen of that ending. I think I still prefer the over the top S-mart ending, but that was interesting to see.
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Nov-2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Not terribly interested, but if it gets some good word of mouth I might check it out.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

UK
    Bring it on!!
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Super Moderator

UK
    A few tidbits of info on the show:

http://dailydead.com/bruce-campbell-...ead-tv-series/

EW reveals a bit more of the show’s synopsis:

“Ash is living in a trailer park and working his latest thankless big-box store job when a return of the Deadites prompts him to take a road trip with two young co-workers (and, of course, his trusty boomstick).”

Campbell on the show’s tone:

“We’re going to give people a little of the old fashioned splatstick—horror and comedy… Something we’re doing is taking the horror parts very seriously. We’re not making fun of the horror aspects. And it’s going to cause Ash—this crabby middle-aged man who doesn’t want to get dragged back into this—a lot of problems. He’s not the Ash he used to be.”

On the type of Ash we’ll see in the series:

“Ash has survivor’s guilt. You could have a heyday with his PTSD. He’s a war vet. He doesn’t want to talk about it, and he’ll lie about that stump on his hand to impress the ladies.”

On the two co-workers that accompany Ash on his world-saving road trip:

“One is a male-bonding situation; the other is father-figure deal, since Ash could have a daughter the same age as this character. Hopefully we’ll pull Ash out of his loner-veteran mode and get him back into being a human being again.”

On the show’s use of CGI and practical effects:

“I have a hunch we’ll do what we’ve always done—a kind of combo platter, which is better for the audience anyway.”‘
    So evidently it's picking up (long) after the S-Mart ending to Army of Darkness, and not the post-apocalyptic ending ... bummer ... but I can understand why they'd want to do that. What they're saying about where Ash is though sounds kind of cool, and these little bits of info make me happy all-in-all so I'm very much looking forward to it.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Can't wait!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    So evidently it's picking up (long) after the S-Mart ending to Army of Darkness, and not the post-apocalyptic ending ... bummer ... but I can understand why they'd want to do that. What they're saying about where Ash is though sounds kind of cool, and these little bits of info make me happy all-in-all so I'm very much looking forward to it.
    Sounds interesting. Love the original ending, but can see how it's much easier to spin off the theatrical ending (which most people that have seen AoD are going to be familiar with anyway).

Cautiously more optimistic than before.