Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Independence Day sequel (film)

Administrator

England

Independence Day sequel (film)

Could be on the way...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...everage-346511

It took 16 years, but Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich finally are set to bring their beloved and patriotic Independence Day back to the big screen.

"I can tell you that Roland and I have been working together for the first time in 11 years and we’re every excited about the idea of doing it," Devlin said during an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. "Whether or not we can make this happen, if we can get all the pieces to come together, that’s gonna be challenging. But creatively, for the very first time since we did the original, I feel we have a worthy concept, a worthy path to go."
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "Welcome to Earf!"

Ireland
    Ugh. No thanks, the first one was wretched.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Ugh. No thanks, the first one was wretched.
    Wouldn't exactly say wretched - It was a total pop corn flick, but had some entertaining moments...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    The first film was a total, no brain, popcorn flick that I loved as a kid... but a sequel? really?

Plus, Will Smith said in an interview a while ago that he doesn't wanna do sequels to his work

"Speaking to Radio 1's Chris Moyles, the 43-year-old actor revealed producers are working on I Am Legend II but that he was unlikely to take part.

When asked if he would be involved, Smith said: "Probably not.

"Producers are working on it. I'm not actually working on it.

"If it's great, I'm into it. I don't want to be the sequel guy. I figure I've got about six or seven more years."

Bit late for that will, you already are!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic View Post
    Plus, Will Smith said in an interview a while ago that he doesn't wanna do sequels to his work
    Ummm.. Isn't I Am Legend potentially getting a sequel? And Smith's keen to do one for Hancock too if I recall?
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    It better have Jeff Goldblum in it is all I have to say. Otherwise, I'm not interested. Every film would benefit with the added addition of Jeff Goldblum in it (he's like zombies, the addition of him to any film instantly makes it better).

Seriously though, I think "ID4" is an absolutely entertaining ride. It's like the most recent "Battleship!" I highly enjoyed as well. It's just a turn your brain off type of thrill-ride. I'd definitely look forward to a sequel as Roland Emmerich does "blowing shit up" even better than Michael Bay (and his characters are far more interesting, for the most part, as opposed to Bay's travesties of film-making).

And who can possibly top Kevin Kline as the president in giving one of the most epic presidential speeches in the history of film?

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    "Welcome to Earf!"

I wonder if Will Smith is going to punch-out another alien in part 2?

Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    It better have Jeff Goldblum in it is all I have to say. Otherwise, I'm not interested. Every film would benefit with the added addition of Jeff Goldblum in it (he's like zombies, the addition of him to any film instantly makes it better).
    THIS!!

Jeff Goldblum is freakin' awesome.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Independence Day 2
    The aliens trash trailer parks and whatever is left of the cities from the original invasion.

United States
    I say scrap this and make a wayyyyyy more faithful version of Battlefield Earth.
    I'd even compromise by allowing Jeff Goldblum to be in it.
    Cameo only, of course...

Undisclosed
    Toby Macguire and Jeff Goldbloom give me the creeps.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I say scrap this and make a wayyyyyy more faithful version of Battlefield Earth.
    I'd even compromise by allowing Jeff Goldblum to be in it.
    Cameo only, of course...
    Would it involve Goldblum maniacally laughing for several minutes non-stop...

God that film was bizarre!
    -Carl Sagan

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I loved the first film when I was 12, but I can't watch it now. It's garbage.

If they do this, they need to take a whole different tack with it. A re-tread of the first film just wouldn't work. Set it decades years later, when mankind has cannibalized the alien tech and is exploring outer space in starships, and it turns out the mothership and vast fleet from the original movie was just a single small-scale private enterprise, a tiny splinter group, and now the whole might of the alien empire is moving in to remove this dangerous wild species from the galaxy. Or set it in the devastated ruins of the cities just after the first film, where grotesque parasites and alien diseases from the downed warships are infesting the survivors. I might even go to see that.

Or re-release the first film with a new ending in which it turns out the invasion was just a big cruel prank played by the rest of the world on America using holograms and nukes, to get them all pumped-up and self-congratulatory and flag-waving and then boom... TROLOLOL!
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 11-Jul-2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: fuck off with your reasons

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Maybe this time the aliens will use Linux instead of MacOS.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post

And who can possibly top Kevin Kline as the president in giving one of the most epic presidential speeches in the history of film?

j.p.
    Bill Pullman?

though nothing beats this: