Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWD 5x09 "What Happened and What's Going On" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 5x09 "What Happened and What's Going On" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Please keep all talk of episode 5x09 ""What Happened and What's Going On" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Greg Nicotero
    Written by: Scott M. Gimple

Fact: This is the sixtieth episode of TWD.

“After the tragic events of the mid-season finale – as well as losing the possibility of a cure in Washington, DC – Rick Grimes’ band of survivors find themselves on the road, surviving day-to-day and trying to hold on to their shredded humanity and dwindling hope. Stripped of security and without a direction for the future, some of the group near their breaking point, some find themselves hardened and cold and some just try to grasp onto what little they have left.

Though they are still breathing, the line between Rick’s group and the dead is starting to blur. Could there be anything at this point that brings them back to life?”

United States
    What an absolute relief to have TWD to end my Sunday nights again. Sure love seeing new places, new tactics(radios/check ins/time limits etc). The Gov, Bob the girls. One last Beth song(I hope). This show just delivers for me.

RIP. A good guy all around.
    Last edited by facestabber; 09-Feb-2015 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Addition

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    So why do I get the feeling that...

Negan is responsible for what happened to the estate and those walkers?

Don't drop untagged spoilers or spoiler fueled conjectures, please.

United States
    Well huh. Didn't see THAT coming.

United States
    Talk about unpredictable. Who would have thought that the episode to follow Beth's death wouldn't really focus on her at all but used as a way to give Tyreese his sad sendoff. This episode was brilliant. An acid trip aboard an emotional roller coaster. All the dead return spots worked beautifully and it also goes to show how much I personally miss The Governor. I'm also gonna miss Tyreese. My favorite character from the books is once again gone from my life. That final shot of his hat resting upon his grave gave me tears. Well done, Walking Dead, you really delivered on your return.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic View Post
    So why do I get the feeling that...

Negan is responsible for what happened to the estate and those walkers?
    Yes, it's funny how they've twice seemed to foreshadow...

Lucille.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Excellent episode. Depressing in a good way but shot beautifully by Greg. He is so important to this show
    With Daryl around Tyreese was never going to turn into his comic version so his character has been wasted to a large extent
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    I wouldn't say that Tyreese was "wasted", I just think they focusses more on his softer side, the side of him that was more conflicted by the horrors around him ... someone who had to face these things, but did all he could to avoid them. Better to make him stand out than just be another version of someone else.

Gutted to see Tyreese go - and was really stunned when he got bitten - but they handled it beautifully. The style of the episode was just as surprising as Tyreese's passing, and all the cameos was super cool to see - they really dived down into the themes of the show from Ty's perspective, and ultimately it ended on a tragic-but-warm note. Passing on was something soothing and calm for Tyreese, he faced his demons and his mistakes during his blood loss fever, and embraced the light instead of the dark (and using his own wounded arm as a shield fighting that walker was badass all the way). Just seeing the sunset and the trees passing by from his perspective - and then fading out - was sad but beautiful.

They really played with our expectations here, making us thinking the burial was for Beth when it was actually for Tyreese - and it was good that Nicotero clarified that it had been 17 days since the events of 5x08. It'd be nice if they'd manage to get a little line in somewhere to confirm that in-show, but considering the diversionary tactics of this episode it's understandable that they didn't.

I remember during Season 5A that I was saying how I wanted to see a character death from a more emotional stand point - and that's exactly what I got here. I'd still like to see another 'tragic walker turn' (a la Amy with Andrea in Season 1), but I certainly got the rest of what I wanted.

Totally didn't expect another major character death straight away ... wow ... a superb episode it has to be said. Gutted we've lost Tyreese, but it was handled in such an impressive manner. I'm glad they took the time to really address some of the central themes of the show and the history of where these characters have been, and the style with which they did it was a nice change of pace too.

Colour me very impressed.

Onto other elements...

Glad to see Glenn addressing his capability for violence, and Michonne possibly becoming the new moral compass - or, at least, the wrenched heart and soul of the show - as she's so desperately seeking a new home. It was wise of Rick to say no to that place, as it had evidently been the location of a sinister evil (those walker torsos!!!), but to say yes to trying for Washington. They need a goal, they need hope, they need to find a new home ... and being a comics reader (of the trade paperbacks) I know where this is heading.

Others have suggested there are possible nods and winks to future events in this episode and I'd agree. I'll leave it there for people who don't read the comics, but suffice to say It gave me chills. If anyone does want to address it specifically - please use spoiler tags.

Greg Nicotero directed three of Season 5B's episodes, and clearly teaming him up with a script from Gimple is going to result in gold - this was a superb episode.

Another random little thing I liked - the walker with the bit of steel rebar stuck in its neck (so Michonne's sword was ineffective) ... a nice little idea to throw into the mix, hehe.

Now that's a hell of a way to kick start the second half of the season! Sad to lose Tyreese/Chad Coleman (he seems like a cool, switched-on dude on Talking Dead), but he went out on a very memorable high note.

TWD 5x09 Memes:

England
    It always amazes me when they continually think up new gags.
    I wonder how much of the audience understands what a big part of the genre the gags are.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    It always amazes me when they continually think up new gags.
    I wonder how much of the audience understands what a big part of the genre the gags are.
    There are a lot of morons in the audience bitchin about not enough action. A certain sect wants full auto machine gun with infinite ammo and a minimum of 100 zombie kills per episode. It's a fucking shame when people don't realize the effort that goes into this show. Actors that care. I loved this episode. Amazing tribute to Tyrese. He was never my favorite character but watching his story and struggle was satisfying. Very sad watching Tyrese fade to black but in a sense it was beautiful because his struggle is over and he has found his peace.

England
    I liked the "Dead End" sign on the bedroom wall.

United States
    Well that was a bit Artsy Fartsy for my tastes, but it came around in the end. Pretty good episode. Never really cared for Cutty as Tyrese, but this episode I kinda got the casting finally.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Twitching

United States
    Kinda irked at Noah TBH,
    His need to see what was patently obvious from the open, bloodstained front door killed Tyreese as surely as the Walker. People can talk about finding peace, and I "get it"...but Tyreese didn't have to die. He set out to be the watchful one while Noah broke down emotionally, but then he forgot his role and got sucked in to the emotional by fixating on the photographs, which allowed the Walker to get the drop on him.

The episode was well-done, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed it, but it demonstrated that the world the survivors live in will relentlessly, without a moment's notice, punish any lapse of vigilance due to sentiment. Doesn't mean the survivors can afford to dispense with the emotional sides of their being, but they have to get better at "leashing" that part of themselves when vulnerable in unsecured locales. You can break down from the horror of it all while sitting in the back seat while someone clearheaded is driving....but not in the middle of a dead community where it's patently obvious the place is crawling with the undead.

It's interesting to see that some of the survivors have learned this, and others just....can't. Which is realistic of course, but the Governor-hallucination DID have one point. Failure to adapt (though not as he envisioned adaptation) is a terminal illness in TWD world. The real message is that "Moral Compass"-type characters, with people like Herschel and Dale typifying the breed, are by their very nature far more susceptible to falling prey to the hazards of their changed and much uglier world.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Well that was a bit Artsy Fartsy for my tastes, but it came around in the end. Pretty good episode. Never really cared for Cutty as Tyrese, but this episode I kinda got the casting finally.
    I think we are all missing the main point here. Who is the new Team Rick babysitter now Tyresse Poppins has gone?!!

Good episode though I agree it got a bit artsy and they went overboard with the returning group members and governor. It was also a crying shame Tyresse didn’t get to redeem himself after his screw up drew the Fine Young Cannibals to the group. I remember way back that people were ill at the thought of T-Dog being a Ty replacement, but as it turned out he was close to the character in the comic than Tyresse turned out to be.

It was a kick in the pants though which is what we all want from this show, sometimes you can see the death coming but I was taken by surprise by both Beth and Tyresse so job well done. I hate to say it because he will be a massive loss but it would be good to see Daryl go so others can step up like Tyresse should have done and like Abe could do.

Also special mention to the torsos which were great and a cool payoff to the legs outside the community. I also really dug the metal spike stopping Michonne’s sword (much like the armoured walkers at the prison) and finally the walker shot in the back of the head with the exploding face was nice.

All in all it was a nice appetiser and I can’t wait for more!!

United States
    Indeed, a great episode. Not that I have an issue with this, but I felt it was a bit funny how in all 5 seasons we've never made it out of Georgia but in the first 5 minutes in this episode we're 500 miles away haha.