Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fifty Shades Of Grey (film)

United States
    If you were shouting that at me, I'd hit you again, so if that was you're intent, mission accomplished.

Super Moderator

UK
    Mark Kermode's review:

Apparently it's not as terrible as it could have been, but it's far from as good as it could have been as well. Apparently the BDSM stuff is rather tame and barely in it, and that E.L. James insisted on her duff dialogue remaining in the film after a script doctor was brought in to make the chatty stuff not so awful, so if you see it and cringe at the wordy bits, that's why it seems.

I've not read 50 Shades of Grey, and never will - I'm just not interested in the slightest bit in reading it - but I've heard time and time again that the dialogue is bad (and the snippets of dialogue I have seen do match that assessment ... stuff like a 'Christian Grey flavoured popsicle' in her mouth and such ... oh dear as Neil is known to say).

Sounds like they could have gone much further with the kinky stuff ... it'll be interesting to see what die hard fans of the book(s) make of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    More importantly... Have you got your "safe word" sorted?
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    He does:

Like I said earlier my safe word is "Oklahoma".

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    ...E.L. James insisted on her duff dialogue remaining in the film after a script doctor was brought in to make the chatty stuff not so awful, so if you see it and cringe at the wordy bits, that's why it seems.

I've not read 50 Shades of Grey, and never will - I'm just not interested in the slightest bit in reading it - but I've heard time and time again that the dialogue is bad (and the snippets of dialogue I have seen do match that assessment ... stuff like a 'Christian Grey flavoured popsicle' in her mouth and such ... oh dear as Neil is known to say)

Same here, never read, never will, not interested, can't say I'm surprised on the quality of the writing. My ex used to favor trashy romance occasionally, & well, yeah...

Only reason for the success of this is the kink factor dressed up with a hint of class & respectability (anyone remember "9 1/2 Weeks"...?). The general public eats up that chance to taste a little of the wild side & not feel too sleazy about it.

Buncha squares. Be kinky all the time, then you don't have to worry about it.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post

Same here, never read, never will, not interested, can't say I'm surprised on the quality of the writing. My ex used to favor trashy romance occasionally, & well, yeah...

Only reason for the success of this is the kink factor dressed up with a hint of class & respectability (anyone remember "9 1/2 Weeks"...?). The general public eats up that chance to taste a little of the wild side & not feel too sleazy about it.

Buncha squares. Be kinky all the time, then you don't have to worry about it.
    I was cured of that brand of kinky when a lady friend once suggested I read Anne Rice's erotic Sleeping Beauty series: since I liked her vampire chronicles so much.
    It's very well written, and the S&M makes Fifty Shades(though I've never read the book, I have heard)pale by comparison.