Thread: Crimson Peak (film)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Crimson Peak (film)

I seem to remember there already being a thread for this film but couldn't seem to locate it, so mods please merge if there is another thread out there.

The first trailer for Guillermo Del Toro's Crimson Peak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8NTNc7myeE

Looks interesting. Del Toro's films have always been visually stimulating.
    Last edited by bassman; 13-Feb-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I sorta disagree. I always found his films to be rather ugly due to an overindulgence in bad CGI. Blade 2, Hellboy and Pacific Rim were all sub-par film (though after rewatching Pacific Rim I have to admit there's some great stuff in there). This one looks interesting tho. Always up for a ghost story. Glad to see Guillermo go for something a little less bloated.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I sorta disagree. I always found his films to be rather ugly due to an overindulgence in bad CGI. Blade 2, Hellboy and Pacific Rim were all sub-par film (though after rewatching Pacific Rim I have to admit there's some great stuff in there). This one looks interesting tho. Always up for a ghost story. Glad to see Guillermo go for something a little less bloated.
    Yeah, his bigger films of course had to employ larger use of CGI, but even then they're still interesting to look at, imo. However, I was meaning his smaller and more visual films like Pan's Labyrinth, which is phenomenal.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Yeah, his bigger films of course had to employ larger use of CGI, but even then they're still interesting to look at, imo. However, I was meaning his smaller and more visual films like Pan's Labyrinth, which is phenomenal.
    Afaik, Pans Labyrinth is his "only" smaller film?

Ireland
    'The Devil's Backbone' too, which uses the same civil war schtick, although it doesn't have silly characters like the Nationalist Captain in 'Pan's Labyrinth'.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I just saw this yesterday. The photography and art direction are amazing. I could tell that he took his cues from Bava. I loved looking at it.
    To bad the film itself wasn't very good, scary or interesting. In fact, the script is very convoluted and involves numerous hints that just don't pay off. It's a 2 hour film where very little happens, yet there's an abundance of attempted mood setting scenes that just all fall flat.

What surprised me is that Guillermo del Toro even seems inept at filming and shooting horror. The less you show of the ghost, the scarier it is... So don't give us a big closeup of it in all it's CGI glory every time it appears. It's... Just not scary.

Ireland
    I like his ideas, but I can never fully enjoy his films.

I don't think I'll be going out of my way to look at something from him again.

In many ways, I'm happy that his 'At the Mountains of Madness' got scuppered.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    As of Crimson Peak I've decided to not really go out of my way to watch or get hyped for any of his stuff again.
    He's just made way to many sub-par films now.

Super Moderator

UK
    I caught up with this film the other day, and yeah, I agree with the general sentiment here - it's exquisitely designed and the Bava-esque lighting design is wonderful, but the plot is quite threadbare in its telling. And aye, it's not scary in the slightest bit. The ghost designs are creepy (practical effects - people in make up - with CGI tweaks), but their appearances rarely, if ever, inspire dread.

It's a gorgeous film to look at and enjoy for its merits in production design and photography, and it kept me interested throughout, but ultimately it was more like a nice-looking snack than a hearty meal by any stretch of the imagination.

By comparison there was far more story going on in Pacific Rim, and that's a fairly head-on monsters vs machines punch up - but there's plenty of implied storytelling connected to the main thrust of the plot (e.g. the post-kaiju death economy, towns build inside kaiju skeletons etc). There's many more layers to the story in that film, albeit used subtly and oftentimes swept aside by the awesome battle scenes ... but there's a momentum to Pacific Rim. Unfortunately, Crimson Peak doesn't have much momentum to it at all. There's not that much mystery to the backstory either. Good acting and such, but yeah, it doesn't particularly feel like it's got much to tell you despite its impressive grandeur.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Jul-2016 at 09:43 AM.