Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWD 5x10 "Them" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 5x10 "Them" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Please keep all talk of episode 5x10 ""Them" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by Julius Ramsay
    Written by Heather Bellson

Last edited by MinionZombie; 14-Feb-2015 at 11:07 AM.

United States
    Huge episode in terms of emotional impact. Nice to see the ways the zeds were used in this episode, hitting a lot of the key notes of the genre & making impactful statements & feeling like a part of the show. Scene at the bridge was great. Loved the scene with the dogs. Reminded me of the Termites in an odd way (not a coincidence, I'm sure). Barn scene was awesome. Nice nod to NOTLD w/ the music box. Things are getting interesting again...
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 16-Feb-2015 at 02:29 AM. Reason: .

United States
    The good old days of the Greene farm and the crops at the prison are long gone. This group is hurting. I really enjoyed this episode. Dear Sasha, Don't Fuck with Michonne.

United States
    Never thought they would use Rick's famous line, "We are The Walking Dead" on the show. Good stuff and used much better in tone and circumstance imo. A slow episode but a needed one. Looks like Aaron finally decided to show up.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    I love how the theme of lost faith is brought resolved with THREE separate miracles in the last 5 minutes...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Super Moderator

UK
    A rough, bleak kind of an episode, and understandly a - generally - calm one too. I liked that it showed just how beaten down and exhausted they were - exposed, no food or water, low on ammo, flagging energy, emotionally spent ... they're in bad shape.

Wise of them to just ignore the gang of walkers gathering behind them for the time beind until they found somewhere suitable they could use to their advantage. The moments where they just gave a simple shove or sidestep reminded me of Night of the Living Dead 1990 when Barbara just walks by the zombies. It also shows them using their environment to their advantage (in spite of how their environment is also slowly killing them) with that little ravine thing on either side of the bridge. Their energy is depleted and this was an ideal way to snuff them out while expending as little energy (and resources) as possible - but, of course, Sasha's raging hard in this episode.

They really went through the meat grinder on this one, and nice to see Rick share a little something personal of himself in the story about his grandfather in the barn as the storm raged. It was also good to see the group come together by the end of the episode to brace the doors as the storm raged, and I too liked the little miracles that came along at just the right time - the rain, the storm that left them untouched (such things happen all the time, also awesome to see the walkers all mangled or thrown up and skewered on tree branches etc), the music box coming back to life etc.

I think after all they've been through Team Rick deserve a bit of good luck, so we'll see how it pans out with this well groomed fella who's happened by.

This episode really sold the exhaustion - both physical and emotional - and just how messed up they all are.

Creepiest bit - the kidnapped walker in the car boot ... I love little moments like that as it tells a vivid story in a simple visual (a bit like the decaying deer and the apparent hunter - dead by suicide, it seemed - that Daryl stumbles upon).

TWD 5x10 Memes:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...x10-memes.html

United States
    Right on about the kidnapped Walker, MZ. It told such a scary story and it was quite sad on how much it resembled Beth.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Norway
    The walker could have been put there after she turned, maybe someone tried to smuggle her our or in a quarantined area?
    I still wish that the zombies were a bit bigger threat but such is this show.. In any case do you think the red headed guy is going to be infected by the cut he got?
    Also I dont like how they are going all artsy fartsy and symbolic with the way they film stuff. Breaking off right when the zombs tried to break in for instance. Bad move.

Super Moderator

UK
    I was thinking about it a bit more last night and the actors did a good job of conveying the exhaustion of hunger/thirst/heat/grief ... I'd imagine the heat part was fairly easy as it's hot as balls where they film. Watching them slumped by the side of the road all wiped out and drenched in sweat reminded me of going to the south of France last year. It wasn't even the height of summer and it was already in the mid-thirties (celcius) in the shade. We walked all over various cities in the blazing sun and it was exhausting. We were all drinking throughout the day constantly and, for me at least, not once did I have to use the gent's when out and about - the water went in and almost instantly it came flooding out in sweat.

I can't imagine wearing anything more than the shorts and t-shirt combo that I was. It was just too damn hot - and that was without any real humidity too!

So aye, bringing it back around to TWD, they certainly conveyed their exhaustion - physical and emotional - perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Trencher View Post
    Also I dont like how they are going all artsy fartsy and symbolic with the way they film stuff. Breaking off right when the zombs tried to break in for instance. Bad move.
    It would have been all kinds of naff to dwindle it out, particularly as it'd blow the reveal that a tornado passed them by and blitzed the walkers.

Build to a crescendo and then cut - never go out on a whimper - something big or something meaningful. One of the best rules in writing is to "arrive late and leave early", because most of what comes before and after is just busy work that saps an arse load of energy and pace out of a story.

So, personally speaking at least, I think it's unfair to dismiss that as "artsy fartsy". If anything it's a cornerstone of televised story telling that's been around for ages for a good reason.

Speaking of the storm - it was cool to have that as we usually don't get too much variation in weather in the show ... when it started raining it felt like as much of a relief to the viewer as it did to the characters (and, weirdly, just when they were about to shoot that scene with rain sprinklers - it actually started raining).

Moon Knight - ooh, I didn't even think of it resembling Beth. I suppose it did in a way ... I was just too caught up in how effed up that scenario was!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-Feb-2015 at 09:44 AM.

United States
    One disadvantage of the smash cut was that at first I thought Maggie was just having a nightmare. Everyone was sleeping so peaceful & serene, & it didn't look like anything had happened. Not sure how else I would have cut it, or staged the next scene (maybe everyone sleeping slumped up against the barn door? Or some of the beams from in the barn used to brace the door), but there was something a little unsatisfying about the transition (for me anyway).

I didn't think of the Beth connection to trunk walker either, both in terms of resemblance & situation (how she was kidnapped), until Lauren Cohen mentioned it on Talking Dead. She mentioned the Ballerina from the music box as well as a symbolic connection.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 17-Feb-2015 at 04:44 PM. Reason: .

Tibet
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    One disadvantage of the smash cut was that at first I thought Maggie was just having a nightmare. Everyone was sleeping so peaceful & serene, & it didn't look like anything had happened. Not sure how else I would have cut it, or staged the next scene (maybe everyone sleeping slumped up against the barn door? Or some of the beams from in the barn used to brace the door), but there was something a little unsatisfying about the transition (for me anyway).
    Agreed. I thought it was a dream as well. the big issue I have is this: Z-nado???? Z Nation already did that episode.

I didn't think of the Beth connection to trunk walker either, both in terms of resemblance & situation (how she was kidnapped), until Lauren Cohen mentioned it on Talking Dead. She mentioned the Ballerina from the music box as well as a symbolic connection.
    I picked up on it straight away....i just thought it would have made a better scene before the Beth episodes.

United States
    I loved the idea of a storm like this as it really shows how dangerous it can truly be out there on the road with no shelter. It's not a Z Nation rip off imo. It's realistic and can happy without warning. I understand why they shot it like that, you know, budget reasons and all. However, I do agree the smash cut was a bit dissapointing.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Of course, that would also create another issue - if they were all slumped together against the door, it would be harder to stage the scene between Maggie/Daryl and Maggie/Sasha in their own quiet little corners, so it makes more sense for them to be in their separate corners where they can get a more comfortable dose of kip. Slouched against a sagging barn door with sweaty pits and arses all around you doesn't sound like a brilliant way to get some shut eye if you ask me!

Also - the door does have a gap between the two halves which is pretty big, so if they were slumped against it, the door would be buckling outwards - and there'd be plenty of room for a passing walker to grab onto someone, or indeed bite them - it could also invite attention and then you've got more trouble on your hands. Better (and safer) to stay away from the door and hide within the bowels of the barn once the walker horde has been swept away.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Trencher View Post
    In any case do you think the red headed guy is going to be infected by the cut he got?
    Not a chance, IMHO, and it's one of the things I dislike about the show. The "lore" is all over the place. If infection is transferred through liquid, then a cut should be fatal. Abe should be buggered after that slice.

I know that the producers are trying to make it look like whatsherface is losing the plot and is becoming a danger, but the same effect could have been achieved with a near miss.

But, in the walking dead universe, characters routinely slice and dice through zombies without a single care as to where the viscera and blood is flying. TBH, there shouldn't be anyone alive out of the group, as they've all probably ingested enough infected zombie gunk to turn them 5 times over.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Not a chance, IMHO, and it's one of the things I dislike about the show. The "lore" is all over the place. If infection is transferred through liquid, then a cut should be fatal. Abe should be buggered after that slice.

I know that the producers are trying to make it look like whatsherface is losing the plot and is becoming a danger, but the same effect could have been achieved with a near miss.

But, in the walking dead universe, characters routinely slice and dice through zombies without a single care as to where the viscera and blood is flying. TBH, there shouldn't be anyone alive out of the group, as they've all probably ingested enough infected zombie gunk to turn them 5 times over.
    Same rules applies in the comics yet no one ever calls it out for it.