Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD 5x11 "The Distance" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 5x11 "The Distance" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Please keep all talk of episode 5x11 ""The Distance" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

"After withstanding a spectacular storm, Rick and the others meet what appears to be a friendly person, but find themselves mistrustful."
    Directed by Larysa Kondracki
    Written by Seth Hoffman

United States
    Man, I'm super excited for this one!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Its slow here. Rick's apprehension is certainly warranted based on Terminus. But I was glad to see Michonne step up and admit their desperation. And I was equally happy to see Rick accept Michonnes dissent. The Ricktatorship was fun but the democracy approach as a family is right. This is really a family unit now. I like how this group is working together.

But my goodness they can't travel in more than one vehicle without screwing it up. The volume of Walkers on the road was a neat scene and there was some decent tension building when the car was stalled. Oh and I love seeing an RV in the TWD. To which yesterday I attended the Walker Stalker Con in Chicago and had a blast meeting many of our beloved cast members. Including Dale's RV. Or a damn good recreation considering the one burned up.

Super Moderator

UK
    I really dug this episode - even though I know who Aaron is in the comics, you can never be absolutely sure things are going to go how you think they might in the TV show version, so I was tense throughout.

The flare gun walker kill was awesome, the road of walkers getting plowed scene was fan-ruddy-tastic (it was like Carmageddon ), and all the stuff in the woods at night evading the walkers was creepy, tense, and generally kick arse.

However, the most impressive stuff in this episode was the Rick/Michonne divide. Like Carol said, although Rick was wrong he was still right - I loved his attention to detail when it came to being cautious (admittedly an aspect that's occasionally inconsistent in the show, but let's not turn the thread over to just one issue), and that Michonne was open to hope and warning Rick against allowing himself to be in 'survivor mode' for too long. Their little exchange outside the gates of Alexandria was superb - her putting a hand on his, him hearing the sound of children playing, L'il Asskicker rumbling about on the back seat ... excellent stuff.

As for Rick hiding the gun in the blender casing, a theory, and an episode of "Blood & Guts with Scott Ian" that visited the set of TWD season 5...

He comes back for that - definitely - I recall watching an episode of "Blood & Guts" on the Nerdist website a while back and Scott Ian visited TWD to be a walker - and his scene involves that particular spot in the woods. Rick and Carl are both out there, but in what context - for what reason - remains unclear ... but we'll definitely be heading back to that particular spot.

I'm theorising that the Alexandria folks insist on Team Rick surrendering their weapons, but Rick goes out to that spot to retrieve the gun so at least one of Team Rick is armed.

Solid episode with some great group stuff, like Facestabber I was glad to see them working together as a pretty cohesive unit here - and the glimpse of Washington DC in the distance was pretty nifty too.

Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Oh and I love seeing an RV in the TWD. To which yesterday I attended the Walker Stalker Con in Chicago and had a blast meeting many of our beloved cast members. Including Dale's RV. Or a damn good recreation considering the one burned up.
    1) Agreed - I loved seeing an RV back in the show, and the subtle allusions to Dale (Glenn knowing how to fix it in a jiffy) were really sweet and tugged at the old heart strings a little, but in a positive kind of way.

2) Cool! Any pics you'd care to post?

TWD 5x11 Memes:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...dead-5x11.html

United States
    Ah yes Minion. That nod to Dale was a great addition. It was subtle and I was hoping Glen would actually say something like "an old friend" or even "Dale". But the hardcore viewers got it.

Yeah I have some pics and would love to share them. As you know I have sought your help before with multiquoting(which I gave up on) and other computer tech stuff, every time I have tried to add photos to forums it is a massive failure. Image too big errors etc. I suck at this and I'm sorry.

TWD.jpg

I tried and this is what I got....lol
    Last edited by facestabber; 23-Feb-2015 at 05:28 PM. Reason: addition

Being Attacked

United States
    It was a nice episode but i just dont see the group being so trusting or even ready to join another group of people so quickly. Because the people in the last "safe place" tried to eat them.

I get that they are tired they are in a bad position right now but anything is better than being forced into a boxcar and farmed. again.

Personally i agreed with rick on this. Not just because you cant trust anyone but because i dont want to see farmer rick anymore, farmer rick is boring, i like crazy rick. And if he gets civilized he'll shave his beard... i like his beard.
    Last edited by thesurvivor; 23-Feb-2015 at 05:56 PM. Reason: k.

United States
    Loved this episode! The tension was great and this one had some great exchanges between Rick and Michonne. Carol's line at the end was great too. It came at the right time. Dale's callback was a nice touch as was Abraham and Rosita trying to patch things up.

Also, I went to Walker Stalker in DEC in NY/NJ and had a blast.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 23-Feb-2015 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Thangs
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

UK
    For me that was about as perfect as an episode for my tastes as you could get. Just loved it and it could be in my top five for any TWD episode. I especially loved the Rick camera eye thing where he had his angry eyes soften, subtle but powerful. Like MZ I knew who Arron was but I thought it was handled very well in the episode and he had just the right level of "he seems like a good guy / Hmmm I don't trust him!" going on.

When Arron offered up the apple sauce I was thinking "come on Rick it could be spiked make him try it". When he did it I gave a thumbs up, because its the small things like that, that make the show work. I reckon next week will be slow, especially as they will be behind the big safe steel walls, but I thin there could be some very good character moments as they have a chance to reflect on the unresolved issues with Beth, Bob and Tyresse.

My only concern now is where we go from her because ill be honest I am not a fan of the comics going forward.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    For me that was about as perfect as an episode for my tastes as you could get. Just loved it and it could be in my top five for any TWD episode. I especially loved the Rick camera eye thing where he had his angry eyes soften, subtle but powerful. Like MZ I knew who Arron was but I thought it was handled very well in the episode and he had just the right level of "he seems like a good guy / Hmmm I don't trust him!" going on.

When Arron offered up the apple sauce I was thinking "come on Rick it could be spiked make him try it". When he did it I gave a thumbs up, because its the small things like that, that make the show work. I reckon next week will be slow, especially as they will be behind the big safe steel walls, but I thin there could be some very good character moments as they have a chance to reflect on the unresolved issues with Beth, Bob and Tyresse.

My only concern now is where we go from her because ill be honest I am not a fan of the comics going forward.
    I feel the same exact way about the comics up until this point. The show really made me live up my favorite moments once again with the characters I loved. I have faith that the show can do better.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    That doesn't sound very promising. I've read a little past what comes next, up to

the 1st appearance of Negan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thesurvivor View Post

Personally i agreed with rick on this. Not just because you cant trust anyone but because i dont want to see farmer rick anymore, farmer rick is boring, i like crazy rick. And if he gets civilized he'll shave his beard... i like his beard.
    Ah yes, our survivors haven't even stopped for an episode yet and the complaining about not being on the road have already started. It will be interesting to see if they can balance the upcoming episodes to keep a majority of their fan-base happy.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Ah yes, our survivors haven't even stopped for an episode yet and the complaining about not being on the road have already started. It will be interesting to see if they can balance the upcoming episodes to keep a majority of their fan-base happy.
    I'm really looking forward to the change as it will hopefully give all the characters a storyline and more character development. Like I said before, I think the show will handle things a bit differently than the books. I'm actually more curious on how characters like Tara, Gabriel, Carol, and Rosita are handled from here on out.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 24-Feb-2015 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Typo yo

Being Attacked

United States
    Its not complaining, its stating my opinon. 5 seasons into the show your characters should already be developed enough for us to know who they are. And we do know who they are.

True character is revealed by decisions made under pressure, the more pressure you add, the more a persons true character is revealed.

The problem that most of the post apocalyptic genre faces is the lack of an actual goal outside of "stay safe and survive" the walking dead does this season after season, the farm, the prison, terminus, it does get old. What they need is a goal, a quest to keep things moving forward even if there is no action going on.

^this is where TWD can take a page out of game of thrones. Theres not always action but there are things going on, even off screen.

I love the walking dead and i just want to see the show get better as it has in the 5th season.
    Last edited by thesurvivor; 24-Feb-2015 at 04:34 AM. Reason: bdncnjdkkc

Ireland
    Easily one of the best episodes of 'The Walking Dead' yet. Especially good is showing how the group have learned to absolutely distrust everybody, no matter what. Rick was really vicious in this one.

I really thought Glenn was a goner too.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    That doesn't sound very promising. I've read a little past what comes next, up to

the 1st appearance of Negan
    I am up to date and in truth read through habit rather than enjoyment. I no longer buy them though as I used to do.

I think because the early ones right up to the point that last night’s episode ended were so incredible it has (again in my opinion only) struggled to keep the high standards.

I too think the TV series will handle it all better but I hope that they also start to distance themselves a little from the comics because there is still a lot of potential in all these characters and in the whole story as it stands.