Thread: El Rey Network loves zombie movies!

Rising

United States

El Rey Network loves zombie movies!

The guys from El Rey Network apparently love zombie movies. They have already played Day of the Dead and City of the Living Dead a bunch of times, both uncut, all the gore left intact. This Saturday they will play Fulci's Zombie. I am curious to see if they will truly play it uncut (the splinter-in-the-eye and the zombies-feasting-on-Mrs.-Menard's-corpse scenes are the ones that usually get heavily censored.)

As a non-zombie side note: they also love Kung Fu movies. They play a ton of those. They also play many Italian "giallo" films. These guys play lots of movies that other channels simply won't touch! (one honorable exception is TCM; yes, you read correctly, Turner Classic Movies occasionally also plays weird stuff, like Fulci's The Beyond, which I was quite surprised to see there, and uncut.)

United States
    I love the grindhouse trailers they put out for these classics too! The Day of the Dead one was great.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I love the grindhouse trailers they put out for these classics too! The Day of the Dead one was great.
    Yes, also the one for the "Romerothon".

That's another thing I forgot to mention: they also play quite a bit of Romero movies, even the non-zombie ones. They have already played Knightriders and The Crazies a few times.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Yes, also the one for the "Romerothon".

That's another thing I forgot to mention: they also play quite a bit of Romero movies, even the non-zombie ones. They have already played Knightriders and The Crazies a few times.
    Hearing the "Knightriders" is being shown on cable again, & thus possibly allowing new generations of viewers to discover it, makes me VERY happy.

Rising

United States
    By the way, while watching Zombie on El Rey Network this last Saturday, I noticed something that I did not remember: when the group leaves the Conquistador graveyard Brian's t-shirt only has a few blood stains and is in good shape, but by the time they arrive at the church/hospital at night, his shirt is now heavily stained/soiled with blood/gore and parts of it are torn, as if he had been in a struggle on the way to the church/hospital. It makes me wonder if there were additional scenes in between that did not make it to the theatrical cut. Does anyone know if there were some additional scenes shot between these two scenes, where the group encountered more zombies and had to fight their way through them? It is the only logical explanation I can think of why Brian's t-shirt is so different between both scenes. Otherwise it is a major continuity blooper.

Rising

United States
    I am watching a Kung Fu movie called Shaolin Mantis on El Rey Network and I thought some of its soundtrack sounded awfully familiar: it is also featured in Dawn of the Dead! For example, the background music in the part where the bikers are arming themselves to go raid the mall is also used in this movie. Coincidentally, this movie is also from 1978, just like Dawn.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I am watching a Kung Fu movie called Shaolin Mantis on El Rey Network and I thought some of its soundtrack sounded awfully familiar: it is also featured in Dawn of the Dead! For example, the background music in the part where the bikers are arming themselves to go raid the mall is also used in this movie. Coincidentally, this movie is also from 1978, just like Dawn.
    Pretty cool find, JDP! I'll have to see if I can check it out on demand from El Rey.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Pretty cool find, JDP! I'll have to see if I can check it out on demand from El Rey.
    At first I was wondering who copied from whom: if Romero saw Shaolin Mantis, liked some of the soundtrack and then incorporated it into Dawn, or vice-versa, the makers of Shaolin Mantis saw Dawn and liked some of the music and put it in their movie. But since both films are from 1978 this is almost surely a coincidence. A very cool coincidence!

Rising

United States
    Watching Daredevils of Kung-Fu (1980) on El Rey Network and this is like the fourth 70s-80s Kung Fu flick I see there that features music that was also used in Dawn! This one features the same background music that you hear when Peter and Roger first go to the department store to unlock the doors while avoiding the encroaching zombies.