Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Day of the Dead Remake Cast Announced

Banned User

United States
    I'm not exactly doing back flips with the cast that was chosen for this movie, nor do I like the fact that it is a remake, but I will reserve judgement and take the movie for it's own merits. It is after all a zombie movie and that is it's most redeeming quality.
    Dawn 04 wasn't exactly a masterpiece either but if you ignore the title and don't watch it like a remake it's enjoyable.
    Last edited by zombiegirl; 20-Jul-2006 at 06:23 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiegirl
    I'm not exactly doing back flips with the cast that was chosen for this movie, nor do I like the fact that it is a remake, but I will reserve judgement and take the movie for it's own merits. It is after all a zombie movie and that is it's most redeeming quality.
    Dawn 04 wasn't exactly a masterpiece either but if you ignore the title and don't watch it like a remake it's enjoyable.
    I just wanted to add to/alter your comments alittle.....

What you should have said was: If you completely shut down your brain, enter a vegetable, coma-like state, and watch MTV programming....You'll think it's a great film!

Undisclosed
    Yup, thats what I figured and I think they might be a little young. It wil really depend more on IF they can do a good job or not. I'm several months away from 30, so I guess I still fit in this catagory. I just mean I want the movie to be good, if they can pull it off then no prob with me. Its just that from a mass audience, sales point of view, you dont normally get a quality film.
    Look behind you!!!

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    You gotta be frakking kidding me.......

Undisclosed

Here ya go...

Dawn04 at least let me hold out hope (In the end I liked it) because while that cast was not exactly what I hoped for it was believable. Ving Rhames? sure I can see him as a tough guys beating up zombies. Sarah Polly...ehh I liked go, she seems like she could be vaulnerable and street smart simultaniously Mekhi Phifer...sure why not...

But this cast on the other hand...Not a single one barring Ving has one character trait to their credit...if they added one maybe but not a whole cast of OC rejects. Would the US govt. really trust a research project of that magnitude to a bunch of 20-somethings? and how many 20-somethings have a PHD + experience in any branch of science?

Quote Originally Posted by Geophyrd
    If we didn't dig the zombie flicks, why are you on this site? I can understand that its not a GAR movie (despite the title, DOTD 04 wasn't GAR but it was good) but jeez...chill. And you will see it, if for no other reason than to have something to kvetch about..

I love zombie movies, I love GAR zombie movies perticularly. It just seems movies like this are making a mockery of the foundation GAR laid. I know I might seem like I am going a little overboard, but I am not. To me a man made a GREAT film and it is being re-hashed subpar for a quick buck. Like the Ghandi II skit for Wierd Al's UHF...it was funny because it is so anti what the movie originally was.

It is hard enough telling people my fav movie is Dawn of the Dead then explaining that is the not the 2004 one but made in the 70's and if you watch it openmindedly you may think it is a good film. When all they know of the zombie Genre is the crap that is being pumped out now. While they roll thier eyes and walk away.
    Last edited by OddDNA; 20-Jul-2006 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDNA
    Omar Epps...sure why not...
    Omar Epps? Omar Epps wasn't in "Yawn".

You must be thinking of Mekhi "there are certain rocks with better acting skills and personality than myself" Phifer.

Banned User

United States
    It is hard enough telling people my fav movie is Dawn of the Dead then explaining that is the not the 2004 one but made in the 70's and if you watch it openmindedly you may think it is a good film. When all they know of the zombie Genre is the crap that is being pumped out now. While they roll thier eyes and walk away.
    Not hardly.

Zombie fans had been getting that kind of reaction from "normal" folks for over twenty years before Dawn 04, RE, 28 Days Later, and the rest of the resurgence hit the scene just a few short years ago.

The new stuff has pretty much gotten the same reaction that the old stuff did when it was new almost a lifetime ago: the kids love it (for the most part), the horror freaks are divided, and the general public (those not into zombie flicks or any horror flicks for that matter) could care less, really--at best, their reaction will be the "roll their eyes" thing you were talking about, and at worst they're whipping out the pepper spray...

The zombie sub-genre is villified for two main reasons--the subject matter and the attitudes of the fans themselves.

Personally, I think it's unfair that this prejudice exists because of the subject matter--I don't think it's any more far out than any other sci-fi or horror sub-genre like vampires or even Star Trek. It's just different.

But, as for the fans....if people act in real life the way they do online...then it's no wonder the general public is leary of zombie fans.

BTW, you were in such a hurry to slam a film that you've never seen....

Would the US govt. really trust a research project of that magnitude to a bunch of 20-somethings? and how many 20-somethings have a PHD + experience in any branch of science?
    Since there is a presence of a character named Salazar, I'm going to assume that this one is going to be based at least in part on the original script for Day of the Dead. In that script, Sarah wasn't a PHD...she was just a survivor--so casting Mena in that role isn't as far out as you might think.
    Last edited by Svengoolie; 20-Jul-2006 at 10:11 PM.

United States
    Hey I can remember waiting and waiting and waiting for them to make a zombie movie...I am glad to see more and more of them coming out!!!
    So we can whine all we want atleast they are there for us to view right? By the why do ya want cheese with your whine? just kidding!!
    Really, tho some of the zombie movies they have out there smell worse than the zombies like "Burial Ground" now that one stunk!!! That one needs shot,burned and buried never to come back!!!
    I think it is going to be really interesting to see Ving do "Rhodes" for sure. Heres hoping its worth putting the bucks down to see"fingers crossed".
    Hey does anybody know where it is going to be filmed?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Svengoolie
    Not hardly.

Zombie fans had been getting that kind of reaction from "normal" folks for over twenty years before Dawn 04, RE, 28 Days Later, and the rest of the resurgence hit the scene just a few short years ago.

The new stuff has pretty much gotten the same reaction that the old stuff did when it was new almost a lifetime ago: the kids love it (for the most part), the horror freaks are divided, and the general public (those not into zombie flicks or any horror flicks for that matter) could care less, really--at best, their reaction will be the "roll their eyes" thing you were talking about, and at worst they're whipping out the pepper spray...

The zombie sub-genre is villified for two main reasons--the subject matter and the attitudes of the fans themselves.

Personally, I think it's unfair that this prejudice exists because of the subject matter--I don't think it's any more far out than any other sci-fi or horror sub-genre like vampires or even Star Trek. It's just different.
    Well before those dumb movies came out most people knew NOTLD mostly and they would at least give Dawn a chance, now since every zombie movies sux for 20 years they are harder to convince.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 21-Jul-2006 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Fixed the quotes fer ya, left out the "[/" in end tag, MZ.

United States
    im going to bed and having a nightmare tonight

Super Moderator

UK
    Damn straight, since when did a forum load of zombie fans have to agree. Also, we want GOOD zombie films, not blatant tosh. Guaranteed Day of the Remake WILL suck so many, many, many balls. It's clearly going down Hollywood's "paint by numbers" style of construction...which is a surefire sign of suckiness.

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by punkmisfitsguy
    On G4 tv just now.

Ving Rhames, Mena Suvari, Michael Welch, Annalynne McCord, Stark Sands and Nick Cannon

sorry if it is a repost
    I never heard of those actors

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by HLS
    I never heard of those actors

WHAT!

Ving Rhames - Dawn 2004, Pulp Fiction
    Mena Suvari - American Beauty
    Nick cannon - Love Don't Cost a Thing, Drumline

So far with Mena and Ving the cast is ok.

They need to cast Vincent Chase and Johnny Drama.

I vote Johnny Drama as Steel, and Vincent as Miguel!
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    WHAT!

consider the source.

United States
    I liked Dawn 04.......but when I read the cast list of this I kinda threw up in my mouth. Mena Suvari as Sarah????????

If we have to have a teeny bopper at least pick a semi-realistic one. JC on a pogostick.

That said, of course I will watch it. I'll just have to *sniff* wait until it comes out on DVD.
    A penny for the old guy.