Thread: UK folks! Election 2015 - who do you think is going to win?

England

UK folks! Election 2015 - who do you think is going to win?

Personally I'm not feeling confident about the outcome, but I'm really hoping we don't see Ed Miliband getting the keys to Number 10 on Friday morning

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Personally I'm not feeling confident about the outcome, but I'm really hoping we don't see Ed Miliband getting the keys to Number 10 on Friday morning
    If the startled panda gets in, I'll be ashamed of the country's short memory!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Could be a Nick and Nikky grand alliance!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    If the startled panda gets in, I'll be ashamed of the country's short memory!
    Yep!

Ireland
    You Brits have poor options, no doubt. Ours across the water aren't any better though.

The choice between Millie and Dave (plus the Lib Dems in the "dark room")...Jaysis wept.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Scotland makes me laugh at times...

I'll swear if the Conservatives had simply rebranded themselves north of the border as the SCP (Scottish Conservative Party) they would have got loads more votes!

And of course SNPs huge number of seats shows a real case for proportional representation. ie: UKIP got loads more votes than the SNP, but the SNP have 50+ seats compares top UKIP's couple. Some what daft!

EDIT: Correction. I believe UKIP have about 3m votes. SNP have about 4m.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Scotland makes me laugh at times...

I'll swear if the Conservatives had simply rebranded themselves north of the border as the SCP (Scottish Conservative Party) they would have got loads more votes!

And of course SNPs huge number of seats shows a real case for proportional representation. ie: UKIP got loads more votes than the SNP, but the SNP have 50+ seats compares top UKIP's couple. Some what daft!
    It's not quite as simple as that. UKIP gained a lot of votes, but they were spread out across various constituencies (i.e. not convincing enough people in individual seats to vote them in), and with Scotland they have large constituencies with small populations over a large chunk of land. Updating the constituency boundaries would be a good start, particularly in England.

As for Scotland: it goes to show what will eventually happen when you take your constituents for granted - for decade after decade after decade (generations!) they failed to pay attention to their voters, and did little to really improve the areas in which they were elected - if it's been bleak in a given area for generations and the MP/party representing the place has stayed the same in all that time, clearly there needs to be a change of MP in the area.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Yes, I know how first past the post works, but it just seems insane that:-
    1) UKIP have 3m votes represented by 2(?) MPs.
    2) SNP has 4m votes and represents 56 MPs.

And I'm beginning to wish Scotland had "defected" given their current nationalistic attitude.
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    On a.side note: did y'all know that your elections have started receiving a lot of news coverage over here? Rather extensive coverage too.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    On a.side note: did y'all know that your elections have started receiving a lot of news coverage over here? Rather extensive coverage too.
    Really? Interesting ... makes a change, I guess.

We get so much coverage of the US elections that it does my head in - I don't know how you folks who actually live in America can stand the constant (so it feels) electioneering. The election's done, right let's get on with the mid-terms, those done, right back to the election - and it seems to go on for aaaaaaages ... although I now rarely watch TV news (due to the generally appalling nature of it), but I recall the seemingly endless campaign time for the last US election.

The official campaign in the UK was about 6 weeks, with the 'officially unofficial' campaign lead-up being since Christmas ... that was enough for us Brits, for sure, but I imagine that'd be rather short by comparison to what you folks have to endure over there, right? I suppose, to be fair, there are an awful lot more of you spread out over a much larger area ... but even still ... the US political machine seems to be in constant campaign mode. One ends and the next begins immediately, it appears.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Really? Interesting ... makes a change, I guess.

We get so much coverage of the US elections that it does my head in - I don't know how you folks who actually live in America can stand the constant (so it feels) electioneering. The election's done, right let's get on with the mid-terms, those done, right back to the election - and it seems to go on for aaaaaaages ... although I now rarely watch TV news (due to the generally appalling nature of it), but I recall the seemingly endless campaign time for the last US election.

The official campaign in the UK was about 6 weeks, with the 'officially unofficial' campaign lead-up being since Christmas ... that was enough for us Brits, for sure, but I imagine that'd be rather short by comparison to what you folks have to endure over there, right? I suppose, to be fair, there are an awful lot more of you spread out over a much larger area ... but even still ... the US political machine seems to be in constant campaign mode. One ends and the next begins immediately, it appears.
    Ugh. I barely go near a tv when big elections are coming up (thank you netflix) 'cause political ads are lie ridden garbage. The hoopla is more than I can bear. Then there are the State elections for Governor, the state legislature, etc. Then you can add local elections to that too (yeah). Thankfully, I live in a small village now, so those are short and to the point.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."