Thread: 28 Months Later (film)

Administrator

England

28 Months Later (film)

Be nice to actually get this third film in the series

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/28-Mo...pen-71422.html

Garland confirmed that plans are actually moving ahead with 28 Months Later. And though he says he probably won’t be involved with the follow-up, he confirmed that he was the one that actually devised the plan for the in-development sequel.
    Some parts of 2 were very good, while others somewhat mediocre IMHO. But the opening few minutes were epic though!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Be nice to actually get this third film in the series

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/28-Mo...pen-71422.html

Some parts of 2 were very good, while others somewhat mediocre IMHO. But the opening few minutes were epic though!
    Looking forward to it. I thought 28 Weeks Later was surprisingly good, and had some very tense scenes, some groovy ideas, and some very good gore bits (the helicopter massacre, for instance). Naturally not quite as good as the original, but really rather good (spiffing cast, too).

United States
    Yeah, but when the guy effs over his wife and escapes without her...

So...
    Will we eventually have a 28 Years Later, or will we go with the prequel of 28 Seconds Later?
    I personally like the first two movies, but my wife used to want to watch them over and over, until I kind of got burnt out on them.
    It's been some years now, though. Maybe I'll rewatch them right before the new one comes out, when/if it ever does.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Yeah, but when the guy effs over his wife and escapes without her...

So...
    Will we eventually have a 28 Years Later, or will we go with the prequel of 28 Seconds Later?
    I personally like the first two movies, but my wife used to want to watch them over and over, until I kind of got burnt out on them.
    It's been some years now, though. Maybe I'll rewatch them right before the new one comes out, when/if it ever does.
    I didn't like the ending to the first film. The stupid rapist solders just felt cheap IMHO. The original planned ending felt far more intelligent IMHO.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I like both films. Recently watched 28 Days Later with Boyle's and Garland's commentary. It was interesting. They brushed on the subject of why Manchester is so far away, for instance... (Two days drive? What the hell?)

Super Moderator

UK
    I didn't like the ending to the first film. The stupid rapist solders just felt cheap IMHO. The original planned ending felt far more intelligent IMHO.
    What was the original ending going to be?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't remember anything about an alternative ending to the entire third act in the commentary, tbh. But Danny Boyle and Garland talked a lot about different scenarios they toyed with after they escaped the manor. Also, apparently, they shot a rough version of the film that ended with the freeze frame at the end of the manor sequence, then they took that to FOX and showed it. Fox were so impressed they gave them additional to reshoot a lot of the previous stuff and the ending that's in the film.

Ireland
    The first one was good.

The second was meh.

The third needs to up the game. I wonder if it'll be set on the continent.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I don't remember anything about an alternative ending to the entire third act in the commentary, tbh. But Danny Boyle and Garland talked a lot about different scenarios they toyed with after they escaped the manor. Also, apparently, they shot a rough version of the film that ended with the freeze frame at the end of the manor sequence, then they took that to FOX and showed it. Fox were so impressed they gave them additional to reshoot a lot of the previous stuff and the ending that's in the film.
    I really hated how week that rapist soldier ending was...

I think there was room for the soldiers they met to have failed defending them (at their mansion) - say it gets overrun - and for them to have ended up in the facility as per this alternative ending -
    https://vimeo.com/76654619

The blood transfusion scenario is obviously flawed, but I'm sure that could have been explained. ie: The guy has a serum which stops the virus from spreading/multiplying so just changing most of your blood is enough to let your body overcome it...
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I really hated how week that rapist soldier ending was...
    I'll go one further and say I'm sick of how the military is portrayed as criminals and rapists in post-apocalyptic stories across the board. It seems common thinking that in the absence of hierarchy the military just become malcontents. At best we get a military that is neutral or self-serving (i.e. Land, Dawn). At worst we get military that loot and rape and murder and steal (i.e. Diary, Survival, and Day). The black survivor group in Diary was a better example of organized "authority" acting conscientious toward their fellow man than about any other group we've seen.

I felt like 28 Weeks had a fantastic start. The setup and sense of place was fantastic. The characters were great. The twist of having a genetic differentiation was great. The pacing was excellent. The storyline was really intriguing and moving along well.

... right up until just before the "outbreak" occurred ...

Then, inexplicably, the movie lost its mind. The storyline crumbled. The plausibility went out the window. It turned into a frenetic, implausible, poorly thought out action slog with absolutely no more character development or plot interest.

I would still like to see a 28 Months Later.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I'll go one further and say I'm sick of how the military is portrayed as criminals and rapists in post-apocalyptic stories across the board. It seems common thinking that in the absence of hierarchy the military just become malcontents. At best we get a military that is neutral or self-serving (i.e. Land, Dawn). At worst we get military that loot and rape and murder and steal (i.e. Diary, Survival, and Day). The black survivor group in Diary was a better example of organized "authority" acting conscientious toward their fellow man than about any other group we've seen.

I felt like 28 Weeks had a fantastic start. The setup and sense of place was fantastic. The characters were great. The twist of having a genetic differentiation was great. The pacing was excellent. The storyline was really intriguing and moving along well.

... right up until just before the "outbreak" occurred ...

Then, inexplicably, the movie lost its mind. The storyline crumbled. The plausibility went out the window. It turned into a frenetic, implausible, poorly thought out action slog with absolutely no more character development or plot interest.

I would still like to see a 28 Months Later.
    Agreed, at this point that is really over done... bordering on a tired and over used trope that is just accepted as a staple that makes you go "Oh this angle/plot again". In my mind it is lazy writing.

That said I am really, REALLY looking forward to 28 Months Later as well. The series has excellent potential... let's slow the infected down now