Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fallout 4 (video game)

England
    Just read that the Xbone version will have the pc mods as dlc. Sweet
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States

my ps4 started my digital download this morning. should be able to play the second it releases tomorrow night, taking tuesday and wednesday off from work. my body is f***ing ready.

Administrator

England
    Reviews seem to be very +ve!

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/9/964...box-one-PS4-PC

My favorite times in Fallout 4 felt like an archaeological expedition through an alternate history. The Commonwealth, like the Capital Wasteland before it, is a character all on its own, full of black humor and tragedy. There are so many stories everywhere, whether in Bethesda's macabre but impeccable set dressing or in more fleshed-out incidents that feel like nothing so much as post-nuclear ghost stories. Fallout 4 feels like wandering through a giant, haunted city, and I want to know every secret it has.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    love this game already. the opening cutscene with live action footage to start the game is neat, then you take control. my wife was watching me mess with the character creator and asked if she could design the female to look like her....didn't think i was going to get the controller back. there are so many ways to customize your look.

reminds me of skyrim in regards to the crafting. i've barely dabbled in it in my first few hours but it looks deep and detailed. if you loved fallout 3, you're in for a treat. gameplay is very similar with an upgraded and more fluid, natural feel to it. looting bodies and containers is way quicker and simple, the VATS system works better in slo-mo and amps the tension of firefights, and everything so far has run and played smoothly. new animations and effects, enivronments, way more detail and a beautiful open world full of possibilities. granted, the graphics still look like last-gen gta5, but who gives a damn with a game like this?

game of the year for me. i can already guarantee i will log a couple hundred hours in this one.

edit: another bonus is that some of the tracks from fallout 3 are in this game, which made me feel instantly at home wandering the ruins. hoping to hear a track or two from new vegas as well.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 10-Nov-2015 at 07:22 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I'll wait for Game of the Year Edition....all I'm seeing on Facebook right now are video after video of glitches.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I hope the PC Master Race aren't affected. I was going to download it tonight.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    playing on ps4, i have had the game crash once and go back to the psn menu, and i once left a weapon-crafting bench and couldn't move, just stood there with my arms in the air and legs dangling as if i were falling. it's a bethesda game, people should know what to expect. save early, save often, back up your saves and you should be fine. not trying to give them a free pass, but i'm sure there will be frequent patches to fix problems.

looking forward to seeing some of your reactions. i am loving this new-gen fallout experience, it's like fallout 3 on steroids or something.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 11-Nov-2015 at 02:31 PM. Reason: .

England
    This game is brilliant.
    I notice it's getting low scores on metacritic from the public but it's clear that those people haven't put the hours in that you have to with Bethesda games and good RPG s in general. It just hasnt been out long enough for them to explore like you have to, to get a good idea of the depth of the game. I purposely booked days off work so i could get a good run at it and was lucky to get it a day early.
    I'm currently storming a castle to take over so I can set up trade routes between other settlements I've established. All without going near the main quest line.
    Think of State of Decay in a Fallout environment with elements of civilization. It's also really helped with the crafting and leveling that Ive been playing Fallout shelter and Witcher 3.
    My current routine is

Wake up.
    Play Fallout 4 while cooking breakfast
    Play Fallout 4.
    Go outside and interact with humans for a bit.
    Play Fallout 4 when cooking dinner.
    Play Fallout 4 till early hours.
    Go bed.
    Wake up and repeat.

I think I might need an intervention
    Last edited by kidgloves; 13-Nov-2015 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Blah
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Does Metacritic have any way of checking the veracity of the scores? Do we know those scores are all coming from people who actually have played the game? Surely it could easily be a bunch of folks who have a specific disliking of the game (perhaps because it has otherwise been very popular?)

I've been watching some videos of it online and I'm certainly interested ... although I've still not hopped onto next gen yet ... ... I say "next gen", because to me it still is, but technically it is "current gen". I guess I'm "old gen" now.

Super Moderator

UK
    Game breaking bug involving Monsignor Plaza:

http://www.actiontrip.com/news/gameb...out-4/111615_8

Players have reported to the Bethesda forums that their game has crashed after taking the Minutemen settlement quest to Monsignor Plaza. Others have reported that it occurs while traversing through the Plaza during the Hunter/Hunted main quest. The crash has occurred on all formats of the game.

And apparently, nothing fixes this bug once you have it. Starting a new game won't fix it, transferring your save won't fix it, reinstalling the game doesn't work, and upgrading the OS doesn't resolve it either.

Until a patch releases, avoid this area all together. The Monsignor Plaza is just east of the CIT Ruins.

United States
    thanks for the info, mz, will be sure to avoid that area till i hear it's patched. i've not really had any trouble except for a few frame rate dips here and there, nothing major.

like kidgloves said, this game is brilliant. the weather effects are an awesome and welcome addition to the series. the radiation storms are impressive and add to the immersion factor immensely. i still haven't devoted much time to the settlement developing, really putting a lot of effort into crafting weapons, armor, and drugs right now.

fallout 4 is also brutal. so many ways to die unexpectedly. the new enemies are great, and the old ones are revamped and way more menacing than their last-gen counterparts. the sentry bots are like mini-terminator tanks and very tough to take down in early levels. it is incredibly satisfying when you do manage to defeat one, given that you are far enough away to survive the damn thing exploding!

i'm a level 21 right now, been pretty busy in the real world as of late to properly waste a solid day or weekend exploring the commonwealth. with holiday time off and winter weather around the corner though, i'm sure i'll be spending a shitload of time with this one. not having a level cap and the ability for endless free roaming and random quests after the main story really adds to longevity of a title like this as well.

10/10

Super Moderator

UK
    What format are you playing it on Prof?

I've heard that side quests can sometimes affect the main quest line in certain ways ... I don't know specifics, but it was something I heard on a random IGN video about 'tips for new players' starting out ... have you noticed any direct effects of side quests on the main story quest line?

United States
    playing on ps4. i've only completed the first couple of missions of the main story....first i've heard of any side quests impacting the main story.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    playing on ps4. i've only completed the first couple of missions of the main story....first i've heard of any side quests impacting the main story.
    I'm not sure to what extent the side missions impact the main missions (probably just cosmetic changes for the most part I'd have guessed), but that's what I heard ... vague as it was.