Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWD: Season 6 anticipation thread...

Ireland
    I got that way with 'Game of Thrones' after Jamie got his hand lopped off. I just sorta burned out for a bit. But in a short while I was...erm...back in the game, as it were.

Sometimes you just fade out for a while.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    No, I still like the series, it just kinda lost its "immediate viewing" urgency. Its still a great show and definitely what we dead fans wanted for years, but it became a bit repetitive and aside from the pilot episode, has never really lived up to Kirkman's comic series. Its more of one of those "I'll catch up later" kind of shows.
    I am the other way round Bassman. I got so bored of the comic series and haven't read any since volume 22 of the trade paperbacks and I have zero desire to go back.

The TV series for me has had very few low points but season five episodes four and nine had my attention drifting a little. Even those episodes work when you look at the bigger picture of the series. I hope when you watch the back half of season five you get the bug again.

Super Moderator

UK
    Come on man, pull your finger out, the season finished months ago!

5x04 "Slabtown" wasn't one of the strongest episodes, I'd agree, but at the same time I'd also disagree about 5x09 - I thought the mid-season premiere was one of the strongest episodes, and in many ways one of the most touching and surprising.

I'd also disagree about the show not being able to live up to the comic - routinely, I'd say, it packs a hell of a punch - although, as I've agreed many times before, the back front half of season 2 felt padded out and the back half of season 3 was very uneven (and yet 3x12 and 3x15 were all-time great episodes). I've been re-watching Season 4 of late and a few days I did the one-two knockout punch of 4x08 and 4x09 (the fall of the prison and the as-if-lifted-directly-from-the-comics tale of Rick, Carl, and Michonne immediately after). The stuff between Rick and Carl was especially strong.

However: 4x12 - that was an episode that, to be frank, just didn't come up to snuff. It has some very good moments (e.g. the cold open - hiding in the car boot during the storm) but generally the episode doesn't have anywhere near enough story to fill out the running time. It also rakes over established ground a little bit needlessly regarding Daryl - we already knew he was from a poor upbringing etc. Now, had we not known that about him (stuff that was revealed thoroughly during seasons 2 and 3) then it would have held more intrigue, so I think they were retracing old footsteps with that episode a bit.

But then: 4x14 "The Grove" - holy shit - an all-time great. Stunning stuff. I can't decide whether, for my money, 4x09 or 4x14 was the best episode of the season.

I do understand getting burned out on a show - everyone experiences it differently. I was feeling a little bit of fatigue myself, so I changed to only watching the episodes once a week (rather than twice). I do tend to focus very strongly on the show when it's airing - my obsession gets unleashed - so I do have to stamp it down between seasons so I'm good-and-ready for new episodes come October.

As for the comics, I think because I get the trade paperbacks - released every six months - I don't tire of it. The comics do have their ups and downs, their quiet moments and their epic shock-fests.

Because I just watched Season 5 once I'm rather eager to re-watch all of it on Blu-Ray when it comes out!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 19-Jul-2015 at 05:32 PM.

UK
    Replied within the quote for ease of referring to points

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

5x04 "Slabtown" wasn't one of the strongest episodes, I'd agree, but at the same time I'd also disagree about 5x09 - I thought the mid-season premiere was one of the strongest episodes, and in many ways one of the most touching and surprising.

I just didn't connect with the whole arty feel of 5-09. I am at fanboy level with TWD (TV) and often find myself bemused by the negative comments on the show, but for me I just didn't get that episode at all. Slabtown worked but would have been better watched with three or four other episodes, in isolation I found myself drifting and thinking what I would have for tea the day after!!!

I'd also disagree about the show not being able to live up to the comic - routinely, I'd say, it packs a hell of a punch - although, a

In my opinion the TV show has surpassed the comic because it has added meat to the bones of the stories. For example in the comic the likes of Shane, Carol and The Governor were so one dimensional, but in the show they are so interesting and must watch.

However: 4x12 - that was an episode that, to be frank, just didn't come up to snuff. It has some very good moments (e.g. the cold open - hiding in the car boot during the storm) but generally the episode doesn't have anywhere near enough story to fill out the running time. It also rakes over established ground a little bit needlessly regarding Daryl - we already knew he was from a poor upbringing etc. Now, had we not known that about him (stuff that was revealed thoroughly during seasons 2 and 3) then it would have held more intrigue, so I think they were retracing old footsteps with that episode a bit.

But then: 4x14 "The Grove" - holy shit - an all-time great. Stunning stuff. I can't decide whether, for my money, 4x09 or 4x14 was the best episode of the season.

There are just so many great episodes you almost take for granted what we have been given here as fans of the living dead. Speaking personally I have had to sit through some terrible films to satisfy the urge for quality I came ton expect after watching Night (90) and Day of the Dead. AFter watching the Day remake I began to think we would only ever get MTV style running Zeds.

TWD is just such good quality. I really hope that FTWD is even half as good.

I do understand getting burned out on a show - everyone experiences it differently. I was feeling a little bit of fatigue myself, so I changed to only watching the episodes once a week (rather than twice). I do tend to focus very strongly on the show when it's airing - my obsession gets unleashed - so I do have to stamp it down between seasons so I'm good-and-ready for new episodes come October.

I just never get burned out of it, I don't really re-watch despite having them on my Sky box because I don't want to over watch.

I think what I will do when the show finishes for good is buy all the DVDs and have regular run throughs.

As for the comics, I think because I get the trade paperbacks - released every six months - I don't tire of it. The comics do have their ups and downs, their quiet moments and their epic shock-fests.

I used to buy the Trade Paperbacks too but I found myself rolling my eyes more and more at it so gave up on it. For me Volume 20 and 21 were quite good but fell short of the ones that went before. I found 22 hard work and the stuff that I have read from the internet about the next volumes just isn't for me. This is what concerns me about the TV show going forward, what it will do whan it gets to the comics I didn't like.

As for the TPB, I just sold all but Volume One on ebay because they were gathering dust in my drawer. Volume one is the only one I ever flip through regularly because the artwork is beautiful.

Super Moderator

UK
    Holy crap, you guys - these Season 6 walkers are looking incredible! Three new pics at the link:

http://dailydead.com/the-walking-dea...walker-photos/

For example:

United States
    There is no doubt Nicotero and TWD have set the standard high for Walkers.

United States
    Come on man, pull your finger out, the season finished months ago!
    I just pulled my finger out. I watched the final episode of Season 5 last week. I'd hung onto the last 4 or 5 episodes until last month.

I totally get not keeping up with it. I burned out on them constantly flirting with disaster (often needlessly) and then main characters dying over it. About the time Tyree and Beth and Bob got it I was done for a while. I ended up dragging my feet after that.

But the final few of Season 5 were premium zombie television.
    Last edited by Trin; 27-Jul-2015 at 08:18 PM. Reason: because
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Trin gets it. But I'm definitely going to watch the second half of season 5 soon. It's going to be interesting to see if they screw up Alexandria as bad as they did the Prison/Woodbury arc...

Oh and thanks Trin, now I know Tyrese is going to die in the second half of the season.

I'm only kidding. After Hershel took his comic death at the hands of The Governor, I knew his days were numbered anyway.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Trin gets it. But I'm definitely going to watch the second half of season 5 soon. It's going to be interesting to see if they screw up Alexandria as bad as they did the Prison/Woodbury arc...

Oh and thanks Trin, now I know Tyrese is going to die in the second half of the season.

I'm only kidding. After Hershel took his comic death at the hands of The Governor, I knew his days were numbered anyway.
    Ooops. I thought we weren't sposed to give spoilers from the comic or upcoming leaked info about the new season. I didn't read this thread till I was caught up.

Does that make the first page giant preview pic a spoiler due to the obvious main character omissions?

(lol - made ya look!!)
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Damn, that Walker looks amazing! Minion once again writes up a beauty that sums up exactly how I feel about the show. As far as the comics, I also am not a fan of the current run and storyline. I'm fairly confident the show will take a tad different approach.

And, Bassman, I didn't mean to come off as an asshat. I understand completely how you feel, man.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Some groovy promo pics for Season 6 showing off the schism between Team Rick's survivalism and their newfound domesticity.

http://dailydead.com/the-walking-dea...ter-portraits/

e.g.

Also good to see some old, dry, long grass to give it a nice unkempt feel.

United States
    Man, I really hope Sasha gets killed this season. If she outlives Rosita I riot!
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 18-Sep-2015 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Added smiley for added effect.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Aaland
    A thread for any snippets of information/trailers about the upcoming season - but please, no spoilers.

First promo pic:

judging by this photo, there is a new plot twist - Morgan and Rick have become fused at the head, and must survive the apocalypse by working as a siamese twin team.

Administrator

England
    ^ lol!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DayOfTheDeadCos View Post
    judging by this photo, there is a new plot twist - Morgan and Rick have become fused at the head, and must survive the apocalypse by working as a siamese twin team.
    Capture.JPG

Man kiss in 3...2...1...