Thread: Watched The Thing (1982) last night...

Administrator

England

Watched The Thing (1982) last night...

...the special effects for "The Thing" still stand up pretty well!

My (12yr old) son watched it for the first time and was impressed
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah, the lad's starting to get introduced to the good stuff now, is he?

I think I first saw "The Thing" when I was about 10 or 11 - a showing on ITV - which might have been slightly cut at the time. I remember it was during some 'season' or 'night' of sci-fi movies, maybe a weekend thing, and there was a green CGI alien character doing the little talky segments between shows/movies/adverts. I've probably still got that recorded on VHS somewhere.

Anyway, to this day that movie gives me the chills. Top class stuff, glad the boy was impressed by it.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Ah, the lad's starting to get introduced to the good stuff now, is he?

I think I first saw "The Thing" when I was about 10 or 11 - a showing on ITV - which might have been slightly cut at the time. I remember it was during some 'season' or 'night' of sci-fi movies, maybe a weekend thing, and there was a green CGI alien character doing the little talky segments between shows/movies/adverts. I've probably still got that recorded on VHS somewhere.

Anyway, to this day that movie gives me the chills. Top class stuff, glad the boy was impressed by it.
    The look of awe on his face as that head dropped off the table, sprouted legs and trotted off

Alien next (which I think he'll find a tad slow), if only to then get to Aliens
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The look of awe on his face as that head dropped off the table, sprouted legs and trotted off

Honestly; tho I think I'm in the minority here, both versions of The Thing (1955 & 82) hold up very well. The former for the action and crisp grownup dialog; the latter for that overwhelming paranoia.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    Honestly; tho I think I'm in the minority here, both versions of The Thing (1955 & 82) hold up very well. The former for the action and crisp grownup dialog; the latter for that overwhelming paranoia.
    I don't think I've properly watched the original (1955) version!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    First saw "Alien" when I was 9, and I did think it was awfully slow at the time. However, a few years later (and after seeing Aliens and Alien 3), I grew to dig the first movie more. "Aliens" blew my mind, though - and that was in the extended edition as well (so it's pretty much an hour before anything huge happens, ironically enough).

I don't think I've properly watched the original (1955) version!
    I've seen it, but only once a long time ago. Really must give it another spin.

Ireland
    Myself and the cousin watched 'Aliens' and 'The Thing' on video when were young. It's a double bill that's yet to be beaten.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Perhaps the greatest horror movie ever made IMO. Top 5 for me without a doubt.

Ireland
    Bingo Moonie.

One of the greatest horror films ever made. Utterly fascinating to this day.

I sat a few friends down in front of it a few months ago and they were all ha ha ha "horror films" "1981"..."Sure, that's years old".

The dog splits its face open and there isn't a peep out of them for the rest of the film.

My work here is done. I flew away.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    The dog splits its face open and there isn't a peep out of them for the rest of the film.

My work here is done. I flew away.
    haha! Fantastic!

United States
    Oh yeah. "The Thing" is the real effing deal. Grim, unrelenting, no real humor per se, just isolation, tension & paranoia. No silly stock characters doing silly things, just a bunch of scared, average, believable guys trying to do the best they can to survive.

We need more horror movies like this. It's a crime that so few have followed in its wake. Think of how amazing it is that even after all this time there are still so relatively few movies any where near its league.

Then again, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it, right?