Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Introducing my son to various films...

Administrator

England
    So tried my son on the first episode of the 1980s BBC Day Of The Triffid series yesterday.

Obviously it had fairly low production values compared to a major film, and its pacing was quite slow compared to a modern action film. I don't think he really go the subtlety of - the reading between the lines than even just in London, there's now millions of people, scared and blind, slowly starving to death...

But that said, at the end of each episode he was keen to immediately watch the next, so we got through all six episodes on one go
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Glad to hear it.

I've definitely found myself, as the years have passed, getting more and more and more chilled by the subtle things 'between the lines' in horror stuff. That's what gets me most above all else, when you stop and think about the little details - the implications. *shivers*

Triffids is still on my list, btw.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Triffids is still on my list, btw.
    It's definately a low budget BBC affair, and no doubt a bit slower than today's productions, but I really like it! And the last episode has a real "zombie apocalypse" feel to it at times
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    So took my son through the original Star Wars trilogy, really just leading up to the Force Awakens. Infact I subjected my daughter (9yrs old) to them we well.

I was surprised how slow the first half of the first film (A New Hope) was actually! So the two of them were a little myeh about the film to start off with. But by half way though The Empire Strikes Back though they were hooked. And they loved Return Of the Jedi. They both enjoyed the new Force Awakens too, probably more than more
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I like Day of the Triffids. I've seen both the BBC production and the newer remake. I liked both but yeah, the remake is much- much more... modern. In not a good way.

EDIT: Day of the Triffids is also one of the reasons I never ever watch comets or asteroids or any type of abnormal natural phenomena that pass by the night sky...
    Last edited by EvilNed; 24-Dec-2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: asd

Administrator

England
    Well, his journey to the dark side has begun...

Night Of The Living Dead - For (basically) a 50yr old film he enjoyed it And couldn't stop talking about bit of it afterwards...

Need to work out if (at 13) he's read for Dawn yet?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Night Of The Living Dead - For (basically) a 50yr old film he enjoyed it And couldn't stop talking about bit of it afterwards...

I was only a bit older than that when I saw Day of the Dead. It blew my mind, but I turned out alright...

Dawn's effects are quite 'EC Comics' in their look in some ways, and are quite dated now (particularly in comparison to Day, which still holds up very well indeed).

Only you'll know, of course, but I'm glad he dug Night. Good lad!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-Mar-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Ireland

Perhaps.

I saw 'Day of the Dead' around that age and I'm *twitch* grand.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    I was only a bit older than that when I saw Day of the Dead. It blew my mind, but I turned out alright...

Dawn's effects are quite 'EC Comics' in their look in some ways, and are quite dated now (particularly in comparison to Day, which still holds up very well indeed).

Only you'll know, of course, but I'm glad he dug Night. Good lad!
    I forgot how much "TV coverage" there was in Night

I think I was around 13-14yrs old when I first saw Dawn and it clearly didn't have any effect on me

Day keeps going up and up in my opinion...
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Well my work is almost done now before I shuffle off the planet... I've passed on "Dawn Of The Dead"...

He really enjoyed it, but did ask about the very red blood

Day Of The Dead next...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Well my work is almost done now before I shuffle off the planet... I've passed on "Dawn Of The Dead"...

He really enjoyed it, but did ask about the very red blood

Day Of The Dead next...
    Woo!

To be fair to Dawn, that was the cutting edge of special effects at the time - and on a very limited budget with limited resources. Plus, the connection with GAR's love of E.C. Comics. It's part of the history and development of horror cinema. The effects haven't aged terribly well, but nor have the flairs - but it's part of the time, and circumstances, in which the film was made. It's part of the story of it.

Administrator

England
    Woo!

To be fair to Dawn, that was the cutting edge of special effects at the time - and on a very limited budget with limited resources. Plus, the connection with GAR's love of E.C. Comics. It's part of the history and development of horror cinema. The effects haven't aged terribly well, but nor have the flairs - but it's part of the time, and circumstances, in which the film was made. It's part of the story of it.
    ...and that f***ing Nurse zombie's "acting" still does my head in

Can't wait to see his reaction to Day. It's quite a subtle talky film in some areas, which I think he won't get... But obviously it's also utter balls-to-the-wall at other times...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    ...and that f***ing Nurse zombie's "acting" still does my head in

Can't wait to see his reaction to Day. It's quite a subtle talky film in some areas, which I think he won't get... But obviously it's also utter balls-to-the-wall at other times...
    I first saw Day of the Dead when I was 14, IIRC, so the more visceral aspects were the focus for me at that time, but as the years have gone on, the deeper-minded stuff has come up from under the gore and blown me away. That's natural, you can't see a film as a kid/teen and see it the exact same way when you're an adult - and even as an adult, the older you get, the more things you see, the more layers you dig into, and the more reactions you get to the film.

The tone is much darker, so it'll be interesting to see what he makes of it after Dawn's comparatively lighter vibe - but the effects in Day still holds up, even if the design and implementation of such effects has become much more finessed in the last 30 years.

Administrator

England
    I first saw Day of the Dead when I was 14, IIRC, so the more visceral aspects were the focus for me at that time, but as the years have gone on, the deeper-minded stuff has come up from under the gore and blown me away. That's natural, you can't see a film as a kid/teen and see it the exact same way when you're an adult - and even as an adult, the older you get, the more things you see, the more layers you dig into, and the more reactions you get to the film.

The tone is much darker, so it'll be interesting to see what he makes of it after Dawn's comparatively lighter vibe - but the effects in Day still holds up, even if the design and implementation of such effects has become much more finessed in the last 30 years.
    ...and has a zombie as good as Bub ever been done since? Basically perfectly done IMHO!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    ...and has a zombie as good as Bub ever been done since? Basically perfectly done IMHO!
    We've had the odd zombie flick over the years since that has focused a lot on a single zombie - e.g. "Colin" - but generally the zombies have since always been part of a mass, perhaps had a little bit of character as part of a wider group and not too much more (e.g. the twin zombies in Shaun of the Dead, or any number of choices), but no, a stand-out focal-point zombie has never really been done since Day of the Dead, and certainly nowhere near the same level of quality. Bub rules!