Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Introducing my son to various films...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    We've had the odd zombie flick over the years since that has focused a lot on a single zombie - e.g. "Colin" - but generally the zombies have since always been part of a mass, perhaps had a little bit of character as part of a wider group and not too much more (e.g. the twin zombies in Shaun of the Dead, or any number of choices), but no, a stand-out focal-point zombie has never really been done since Day of the Dead, and certainly nowhere near the same level of quality. Bub rules!
    Actually the number of zombies in "Dawn" with character & "little moments" is great! Of course that Dawn podcast from last week went specifically over that!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    So last night... Day Of The Dead...

It was clear the first half of the film was a touch "talky" for him... But the second half got lots of +ve reactions... With plenty of "Oh Gods!" and "Oh no's!" He even raised the age old question this morning, "Why didn't Logan rise?"

So I think back to Carpenter for "They Live" next... Before at some point soon the newly released Night 1990 bluray...

It's kind of sobering to think, with many of these films I'm now watching with him, it will probably be the last time I see them...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It's kind of sobering to think, with many of these films I'm now watching with him, it will probably be the last time I see them...
    What are you 90?

If you really want to watch any of them again, you will.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    What are you 90?

That's what I was thinking!

It was clear the first half of the film was a touch "talky" for him... But the second half got lots of +ve reactions... With plenty of "Oh Gods!" and "Oh no's!" He even raised the age old question this morning, "Why didn't Logan rise?"
    As time goes on, he'll get more and more out of the 'talky' bits. There's layers to be uncovered and understood in future years for him.

As for Logan - variable times of reanimation, no two subjects are the same in their physical and chemical make ups, nor in the circumstances of their death. Perhaps the fact he was in a freezer helped slow the process, but the main thing is that very little time passes between Logan's death and Bub discovering him. There was an extensive discussion about this in another thread somewhere, but yeah - variable reanimation times for each victim, and a very short time passing between those two scenes are the key pieces of evidence.

Administrator

England
    What are you 90?

I know it sounds a bit finalist, but I expect (due to family history) to have 10-20yrs left...

So, I suspect for example, some of these John Carpenter films we're watching, I won't get around to again - Just to bring the tone up
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Family history ain't all it's cracked up to be Neil.

But if there's stuff you need to keep an eye on, do so (which I have no doubt you are of course).
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Family history ain't all it's cracked up to be Neil.

But if there's stuff you need to keep an eye on, do so (which I have no doubt you are of course).
    I actually plan to live forever... Or die trying!
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Snowpiercer - So he was a little thrown by the dystopian society aspect of it, and some of the more wacky scenes, but really enjoyed it.
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Deadpool - I said he could watch it when he was 14... He turned 14... We watched it...

Such a good flick and he loved it. I think like me, he did't know about the X-Men crossover in it's story line, which was just great
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Deadpool - I said he could watch it when he was 14... He turned 14... We watched it...

Such a good flick and he loved it. I think like me, he did't know about the X-Men crossover in it's story line, which was just great
    14, eh? Geez ... I was deep into discovering the big name horror movies around that time ... fond memories.

Deadpool - good choice - such a great movie. Hopefully the sequel will be good, too!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    14, eh? Geez ... I was deep into discovering the big name horror movies around that time ... fond memories.

Deadpool - good choice - such a great movie. Hopefully the sequel will be good, too!
    Well, he's done all of Romero's zombie flicks now, and loads of Carpenter and the like... Still got They Live and Halloween to do though
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    My sons are between 14 and 18 and we watch stuff together all the time. The oldest has seen all the Romero Dead movies and a few others (Dawn '04, etc.). We have some great (and sometimes spirited) discussions about them. I've come to recognize some rose colored glasses in myself as he points out the absurd stuff I have long-ago stopped noticing. But he's a fan. So the torch is passed.

Day holds up better than the others. The outfits and locales are fairly neutral to decade. The talky bits were interesting to my son as he's interested in the world-building aspect of the story (like me) and not just gore or action centered.

We don't always see eye to eye. My son swears Snowpiercer is the coolest movie ever. I thought it was silly.

I'm a big fan of the original Salem's Lot with David Soul. That is must see horror in my mind.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I'm a big fan of the original Salem's Lot with David Soul. That is must see horror in my mind.
    I was thinking about that the other day... Must watch that with him! Hope it's held up over the years!
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    I told my son he could watch The Walking Dead now he's around 14...

In the mid-season break we've just had, he's crammed in every episode, so we can now start watching it togethor
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I told my son he could watch The Walking Dead now he's around 14...

In the mid-season break we've just had, he's crammed in every episode, so we can now start watching it togethor
    Awesome!

Also, wow, that's a right old binge watch! Six and a half seasons!