Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead 1x01 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Netherlands
    Where was Calvin the first time they drove into the tunnel?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    That was the ONE question I had with this episode. How could they have missed him on the way through the tunnel? Still; I have to say, I am a fan. I'm hooked and I look forward to future episodes. I too can see myself watching this new show in a marathon of TWD.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    heh, yeah, I wondered about that too ... but meh, just a small piece ... unless there's some kind of maintenance tunnels or doors or whatever that lead off from that main route down from the road to the L.A. 'river'. That's what I'm figuring.

Ireland
    While it was a decent start, there were a number of times I caught myself questioning the program. Apart from the Calvin issue, there was also the issue of zombies walking around and nobody YouTubing it. I know that, at one point, the video of the cops shooting that one guy is leaked to social media, but in the opening episode, the inference is that there are a number of zombies walking around, including Gloria and her victims in the crack den. The bodies aren't there when stepdad goes to check out the den, so I presume that they'd wandered off. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have ended up on YouTube, or discussed by the Farcebook/Twitterati elite. Such stuff would be headline news in an instant.

Anyway, we can let it go, but it does niggle a bit.

Perhaps over the course of the next few episodes, the proverbial will hit the fan and the obvious will be expanded upon.

Over all though, I was pleased enough and it's nice to have another zombie TV show on the air. It's also pleasing that it keeps in with the tone of the original series too.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Great Britain
    Quite a clever opening making it look like it was set the same time as the main series, run down place boarded up, burnt out cars and empty houses, until bam busy cross walk, shame us fans already knew when it was set, but some may have been caught out.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    He was napping and then went "Oh shit I'm on!"

Super Moderator

UK
    Regarding the walkers in the heroin den - Nick did tell the coppers about it, and I'm wondering ... I'm wondering if the cops passed on that info (surely there would be other such 'crazy blabberings' coming from the public, so they'd be seeing a pattern) to the authorities who then went to the place, dealt with the walkers and took them away - but left in a hurry. Maybe those responsible are trying to keep it secret, to see if they can stop it without alerting the public (and thus causing mass panic, chaos, looting, violence, resistance, etc etc etc).

That'd be an interesting sideline to discover further into this season.

Of course, they might have just not bothered to figure out that logic ... or maybe the walkers went elsewhere in the building (surely it has a basement). Nick did escape through a window, and the doors would be locked or at least closed, so the walkers wouldn't necessarily have left the premises, but could have ended up in the basement (which would account for Travis not encountering them when hollering inside the church).

So yeah, a few little logic slips ... but nothing I can't excuse ... TWD has a few logic holes here and there, but the overall quality is so high that you can forgive small irritations and "you wot m8?" moments.

United States
    I really liked this. I'm already invested into the characters and only after ONE episode i'm quite impressed. It wasn't perfect but it accomplished what it set out to do. That opening shot was clever and creepy as hell. Us as viewers knowing what is about to happen to the world while everyone is quite oblivious to what is really going on is such a strong hook. The constant sirens and helicopter sounds serving as ambiance noise is such a genius way of building tension throughout because, once again, WE KNOW the shit is hitting the fan and these people are worried about high school, relationships, and fixing the plumbing themselves to save a couple bucks. I'm hooked.

I really like Travis and Nick seems like a pretty interesting character and I believe the actor did a great job. He was quirky and was becoming a bit unhinged as the episode played out.

I'm also glad they decided to use the outdated cell phones and tablets considering this took place a few years ago at this point. Gotta love the iphone 4.

I can't wait for the second now and that's saying something cause I didn't even see this episode upon it's first airing. I waited like 3 days to watch and I was surprised I liked it this much. Not great, not yet, but they got me invested. I'm in the for long haul.

I also really dug the ending. Good stuff.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 27-Aug-2015 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Auto correct fail
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Just been bitten

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Regarding the walkers in the heroin den - Nick did tell the coppers about it, and I'm wondering ... I'm wondering if the cops passed on that info (surely there would be other such 'crazy blabberings' coming from the public, so they'd be seeing a pattern) to the authorities who then went to the place, dealt with the walkers and took them away - but left in a hurry. Maybe those responsible are trying to keep it secret, to see if they can stop it without alerting the public (and thus causing mass panic, chaos, looting, violence, resistance, etc etc etc).
    I reckon you are on to something there.
    Remember when the old fella dies in the bed next to Nick. The team couldn't resuscitate him and he's flat lined. The Doctor then says something like, "We better get him downstairs..." or words to that effect. I reckon it is known that something is happening and that instruction from the doctor to the staff was a containment protocol or something along those lines.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMoonMonkey View Post
    Remember when the old fella dies in the bed next to Nick. The team couldn't resuscitate him and he's flat lined. The Doctor then says something like, "We better get him downstairs..." or words to that effect. I reckon it is known that something is happening and that instruction from the doctor to the staff was a containment protocol or something along those lines.
    That's exactly what's going on. The Doctors definitely knew the dead patient would come back.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    That's exactly what's going on. The Doctors definitely knew the dead patient would come back.
    Ah shit I never thought of it that way. I just thought downstairs was a more advanced trauma/surgical room etc. I'm embarrassed now.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I'm also glad they decided to use the outdated cell phones and tablets considering this took place a few years ago at this point. Gotta love the iphone 4.
    I had wondered about that. Not being a tablet user, and as someone still rocking a flip phone proudly, I had no idea if they were circa 2010 or not - so I'm glad that they are correct to the time period.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMoonMonkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Ah shit I never thought of it that way. I just thought downstairs was a more advanced trauma/surgical room etc. I'm embarrassed now.
    MMM - ah, yes! I hadn't even thought about the hospital scene. I was wondering if the old guy would resurrect there and then, or the scene would play out with a walker in the room ... but yes, getting him downstairs and out of the way to cover it up is the ideal thing. It also adds to how harrassed the nurse was looking when Travis and Madison came looking for Nick.

It's creepy to think about, isn't it? Also, aye, the sound of passing sirens - with what we know - are hugely ominous. Just imagine the crazy things those responders are heading off to!

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I thought the drug dealer cleared the heroin den and cleaned his car after disposing of the bodies.

And if the hospital takes their risen patients downstairs I bet a future episode will show the hospital in absolute chaos through them escaping containment.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    I thought the drug dealer cleared the heroin den and cleaned his car after disposing of the bodies.

And if the hospital takes their risen patients downstairs I bet a future episode will show the hospital in absolute chaos through them escaping containment.
    1) Interesting theory!

2) Ooh - that'd be damn cool! Particularly as we got a glimpse of the kind of chaos in a flashback during Season 2 of TWD, and of course we see the aftermath from Rick's POV ... so to see something like that unfold would be very cool. There'd need to be a reason for the characters to be there though, but if they have a way of getting them there to become caught up in the chaos then we're sorted.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 28-Aug-2015 at 05:03 PM.

Ireland
    Yes, that would be a very good idea. It would be excellent to see a large number of zombies corralled in a big hospital basement break out and cause havoc, allowing local control to be lost.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....