Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead 1x02 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

UK
    MZ I never need to know into too much depth with my reviews because I know for a fact you will come along and post pretty much what I was thinking!!

Best bit of of the entire episode for me was when the kid in the school went to stab the skull of the walker principal and his blade just bounced off, then it took Madison a good four or five smashes of the skull to have any real impact. We are so used to seeing skulls destroyed with a knife or spade in TWD where the walkers have gone a bit softer due to time so it was nice to see the resilience of a walker just turned. That could have been a real eye rolling moment if the kid had taken the walker down with one pen knife, it was well avoided.

Great Britain
    Loving this series so far, great slow burn build up of dread and a major plus not being a comic, its the frill of not knowing what will happen next

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    MZ I never need to know into too much depth with my reviews because I know for a fact you will come along and post pretty much what I was thinking!!

Best bit of of the entire episode for me was when the kid in the school went to stab the skull of the walker principal and his blade just bounced off, then it took Madison a good four or five smashes of the skull to have any real impact. We are so used to seeing skulls destroyed with a knife or spade in TWD where the walkers have gone a bit softer due to time so it was nice to see the resilience of a walker just turned. That could have been a real eye rolling moment if the kid had taken the walker down with one pen knife, it was well avoided.
    Excellent points. My only real gripe was why didn't Travis or Madison ask Matt how he was bitten? I was practically yelling at my screen so they could ask more questions! I want to know, dammit! Lol

The one shot of Travis taking a peek at the wounded EMT worker being attended to with a very visible clean bite on his forearm; knowing what that means and what comes next is pretty chilling.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 31-Aug-2015 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Derp
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post

1) haha ... I guess it's a case of great minds think alike.

2) Yeah, I dug that knife/skull thing too. A fresh one is stronger and more resistant to damage - akin to a normal human being almost, and in many ways more resistant (e.g. bullets to anywhere but the head are practically useless) - whereas a single old walker from a couple of years down the line as we are in TWD poses no real threat (circumstances permitting) for our seasoned walker killers due to the decomposition. That far in you're mostly going to come across older ones - but, and it's a big old but, you're going to be facing loads of the buggers. So you're sorely outnumbered and that's where the danger really comes in for our TWD folks compared to our FTWD folks ... plus, them being teachers or barbers or phone-obsessed teenagers, they're not skilled in weapons (like Rick and Shane were, or Michonne became).

What will be very interesting to see is who - from the current crop of characters on FTWD - becomes a capable warrior as the world falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    The one shot of Travis taking a peek at the wounded EMT worker being attended to with a very visible clean bite on his forearm; knowing what that means and what comes next is pretty chilling.
    And the cruel irony is that if he started telling the general public that that is what was going on, they'd see him as a threat - or call him crazy.

Ireland
    Another great episode there, but I see that the ratings have dropped. But I couldn't care less about that. i like the slow burn and the intelligent restraint that the producers have shown and it takes a bit of balls to do that on an American TV show to be frank.

That said, there's been plenty of action already and I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes. Another good point to the show so far has been it's handling of the "bewilderment" factor that the characters have. The "WTF is going on" can come off as annoying to jaded zombie lovers, but the show has is it portrayed well.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Another great episode there, but I see that the ratings have dropped. But I couldn't care less about that. i like the slow burn and the intelligent restraint that the producers have shown and it takes a bit of balls to do that on an American TV show to be frank.

That said, there's been plenty of action already and I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes. Another good point to the show so far has been it's handling of the "bewilderment" factor that the characters have. The "WTF is going on" can come off as annoying to jaded zombie lovers, but the show has is it portrayed well.
    1) That's standard with the ratings. The opening episode always gets the biggest ratings for a new season, or something that has a lot of anticipation. There's a curiosity factor for one - people watch one and leave it at that - but the ratings also fluctuate depending on how people watch the show. We've seen it with TWD - the premieres and finales tend to get the highest ratings of the season, and then what's in between fluctuates by a few million. For example: Season 5 of TWD got over 17.2m for 5x01, but the lowest rated episode of the season was 5x10 with 12.2m, before finishing on 5x16 with 15.9m viewers. So the figures will bump around generally, I think, and hopefully it'll have a strong finale, and - like TWD - have a general upwards trend from season to season.

Apparently 'some people' have moaned about it 'being slow', so I heard on a random radio show interview with Bryan Johnson (hear it here: https://youtu.be/ZcYRmHn1qwE) - the host menionted something about that - the same host that seemed to think FTWD featured a scene in which somebody went to a dead loved one with an arm hanging off and hugged them like an idiot ... now, either it was a shit joke that fails because it falsely represents what actually happens in the show, or the host was seeing things. Yes, that did irk me. To be fair they also dismissed complaints about FTWD 'being slow' (complaints based on a single episode, as well!).

It's the very beginning of the apocalypse. It's a different time ... this isn't Season 5 era like in TWD, which is about two years deep ... heck, we're barely two days deep into the story with these characters so far, so things are going to be different. As we've all said here on the forum, if TWD was just a bunch of shooting zombies in the head for an hour every week it'd be extraordinarily uninteresting. The biggest impacts that TWD (and I'm assuming FTWD in time) delivers is as a result of spending time with the characters, getting to know them, seeing how the world and their decisions change them, the people around them, and their circumstances. You'd never get any dramatic impact from nothing but constant "ACTION!"

Like you, shoot, I think the FTWD folks have nailed the overall pace.

2) That was my biggest concern with the show. We zombie fans, but even people who've only seen TWD, are well educated about what's going on in that world and how to deal with walkers. So I was concerned about whether we'd get fed up with people not knowing what we know (as would obviously be the case), but as you say, they've handled it quite well - it's believable. Hopefully the characters will continue to learn quickly - as you would need to do in that scenario in order to survive.

Ireland
    Well, Kim Dickens has already learned that you incapacitate a zombie by belting its head repeatedly

And her chap suspects that bites are a definite transference vehicle, so they are taking in what's going on, which allows the viewer to deepen their belief in the logic of the characters. That's another thing I've been impressed by.

It seems to be a show that's made by people who understand the necessary mechanics.

Re: viewer figures, I've never really gave a hoot about such things, but it's always struck me weird that audience figures would rise for a finale. What the hell would be the point in coming to a show at the bloody end? Anyway bugger them. i hope it can remain high enough for AMC to continue the series for at least a few series, cos at the very least it fills in the summer gap between the end and the start of 'The Walking Dead'.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, Kim Dickens has already learned that you incapacitate a zombie by belting its head repeatedly

Just thinking about that - the principal - in the montage late in the episode it was quite sad to see his body just lying there in this empty school. He used to be the head of this institution, in an important role shaping the minds and futures of the next generation ... and now he's just a corpse left stranded on a staircase with it's head caved in. It's really quite sad when you think about it - and that's something, oddly enough, that I'm looking forward to seeing out of FTWD - that human cost, that emotional burden, which would befall everyone in that scenario.

On TWD whenever someone gets bitten they don't hang around long enough to turn, or their extermination is quick and people have to move on ... although occasionally we do get to see the emotional cost (such as in Season 5 at the mid-way point). However, I'm more thinking of what we saw in Season 1 of TWD when Amy was dead in Andrea's arms as Andrea mourned, and then seeing Amy turn - and that glimmer of recognition fade away - we don't tend to get the time for that on TWD these days, so hopefully we get some of that kind of thing in FTWD.

Another small element that I really liked was when Madison leaves her office (after giving the kid his knife back). She closes the door and there's just this little pause - she's thinking this is the last time she'll close her office door, it's the last time she'll see her office, that their life is about to change forever ... there's an awful dread, but also a mournful loss seeping in there in that moment ... and what I like even more is that she does come back to her office a short while later, very briefly, and then leaves again for what is actually the last time. Just a small moment, but a really well observed scene that packed a real punch for me. Superb.

United States
    Yep Minion. I am really happy with Madison actions, such as looking back at her office, as she has the feeling that man kinds extinction event has begun. I'm sure everyone of us here have fantasizes about taking over a mall and kicking some zombie ass etc. but the reality is, life as we know it, seizes to exist. Everyday living and comfort is gone for good and it just comes down to daily survival.

I think the foreshadowing of impending doom has been done really well. I'm glad we have this series to bridge the gap.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Just thinking about that - the principal - in the montage late in the episode it was quite sad to see his body just lying there in this empty school. He used to be the head of this institution, in an important role shaping the minds and futures of the next generation ... and now he's just a corpse left stranded on a staircase with it's head caved in. It's really quite sad when you think about it - and that's something, oddly enough, that I'm looking forward to seeing out of FTWD - that human cost, that emotional burden, which would befall everyone in that scenario.

On TWD whenever someone gets bitten they don't hang around long enough to turn, or their extermination is quick and people have to move on ... although occasionally we do get to see the emotional cost (such as in Season 5 at the mid-way point). However, I'm more thinking of what we saw in Season 1 of TWD when Amy was dead in Andrea's arms as Andrea mourned, and then seeing Amy turn - and that glimmer of recognition fade away - we don't tend to get the time for that on TWD these days, so hopefully we get some of that kind of thing in FTWD.

Another small element that I really liked was when Madison leaves her office (after giving the kid his knife back). She closes the door and there's just this little pause - she's thinking this is the last time she'll close her office door, it's the last time she'll see her office, that their life is about to change forever ... there's an awful dread, but also a mournful loss seeping in there in that moment ... and what I like even more is that she does come back to her office a short while later, very briefly, and then leaves again for what is actually the last time. Just a small moment, but a really well observed scene that packed a real punch for me. Superb.
    Very well said and spot on. I feel bad for those that complain on how slow this show is and just can't seem to find and appreciate the small little details that you just brought up. I felt something similar with the neighbors across the street throwing the child birthday party and I sat there thinking...That's it, this is the beginning of the end. These poor people really don't have an idea on what is about to happen. No more birthdays, no more parties, just nothing. it's scary, man.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 02-Sep-2015 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Typo
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeh, it's been those little observations that have been very good so far and, in fact, I think 'Fear the Walking Dead' has surpassed it's sister show in that respect. It's those small, silent and personal "understandings" that give the characters a grounding in reality. Her hubby noticing the cop stocking up on water was a good one as well. It all adds to the realisation that the proverbial is slowly hitting the fan and they're completely powerless to stop it.

I really hope the producers stay the course on this though and don't blow it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    No more birthdays, no more parties, just nothing. it's scary, man.
    Bingo...

It's those sort of things that strike true horror into people. They may no see it at first, but your brain does. Those are the things that send the subtle chills down the back of your neck, because zombies are a fantasy...but the reality of "no more birthdays" is going to come to us all, eventually.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    It all collapsed in a day.
    The last man alive sat in a empty room, something bumped on the door and groaned. The end.

Super Moderator

UK
    It's those sort of things that strike true horror into people. They may no see it at first, but your brain does. Those are the things that send the subtle chills down the back of your neck, because zombies are a fantasy...but the reality of "no more birthdays" is going to come to us all, eventually.
    That's what gets to me most in horror stuff these days. Jump scares are cheap and you can see them coming from a mile off, they go as quickly as they came, and the shock doesn't linger more than a few seconds - if the jump makes you jump, even - whereas the really chilling stuff, like we're seeing in FTWD, that's the stuff that lingers in the back of your mind and unpacks over a matter of days and really wiggles into the back of your subconscious and creeps you the hell out ... it gets you on an emotional level and has a far bigger, longer lasting effect.

Tension is another thing that TWD and now FTWD does so well, too. I routinely find myself with my fingers all twisted together because the suspense is getting to me. Dread is far more potent that "BOO!"

Undisclosed
    Yes, this was another great episode!! I can't believe there are two great zombie shows on television. If somebody told me that ten years ago, I wouldn't have been able to believe it. The one thing I've always loved in all of the zombie movies were the newscasts that were coming in. I would often try to hear the newscaster in the background as opposed to the main dialogue from the characters. I'm REALLY hoping we get some newscasts before the power grid goes down. By now there have got to be some news people wondering what the hell is going on. Plus, I would love to hear if this is happening worldwide.

Administrator

England
    OK... I wanted to be able to watch the first episodes in a single sitting, so I'm late to the party having only just had time to do this last night.

Thoughts? Given the somewhat mediocre "official" reviews I'd read before, I'm really enjoying goiong through the start of the plague again. There's so many opportunities for stories at this period and thus far the two episodes show promise in making the most of it

Enjoying the slow build up... The character generally seem OK... And expect some serious shit to hit fans in the rest of the episodes at some point. Shame there's only four more to go
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan