Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead 1x02 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK

Fear The Walking Dead 1x02 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please keep all talk of episode 1x02 "So Close, Yet So Far" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Enjoy!

Directed by: Adam Davidson
    Written by: Marco Ramirez

United States
    Without any comic book knowledge I have no idea where this is going and I love it.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Netherlands
    As I understand it, 'Fear The Walking Dead' and 'The Walking Dead' only have in common that it all takes place in the same universe. FTWD is not based on the comics in any other way.

United States
    I enjoyed this episode. I love the little teases of impending doom. Great observation by Travis of the cop loading his trunk with water. That is far from normal and Travis noticed it. The govt officials are aware of what's happening and keeping the people in the dark.

Super Moderator

United States
    Solid episode. They missed their window for getting out of dodge before it all really hits the fan.

My only gripe is how subdued Madie always seems to be. I can write off her lack of emotive reaction when confronting and killing her co-worker to shock and 'survival mode' to some extent, I suppose, but the only actor who has given a gripping fear reaction thus has been Nick (so far that actor seems built for emotional range).

Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Great observation by Travis of the cop loading his trunk with water.
    ABSOLUTELY loved that part

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    As I understand it, 'Fear The Walking Dead' and 'The Walking Dead' only have in common that it all takes place in the same universe. FTWD is not based on the comics in any other way.

Exactly my point! Without source material I can finally enjoy something without an idea of how things go down.

With that said, I really liked tonight's episode. The slow build continues and things are starting to escalate. It's really spooky seeing society fall apart around our characters and everyday life is pretty much over from this point on.

- - - Updated - - -

I enjoyed this episode. I love the little teases of impending doom. Great observation by Travis of the cop loading his trunk with water. That is far from normal and Travis noticed it. The govt officials are aware of what's happening and keeping the people in the dark.
    Travis knows the shit hit the fan. Also notice how in the end we see their neighbors car empty with the doors and trunk open? I'm gonna go ahead and think the poor sap turned. Was he the man attaching the woman across the street?
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Tibet
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    My only gripe is how subdued Madie always seems to be. I can write off her lack of emotive reaction when confronting and killing her co-worker to shock and 'survival mode' to some extent, I suppose, but the only actor who has given a gripping fear reaction thus has been Nick (so far that actor seems built for emotional range)
    I attribute it to being in teacher mode. What has she been doing both episodes?? Protecting her kids, both biological and students. The quick breakdown in the bathroom stopped when her daughter came to the door. I suspect there will be a more severe reaction at some point in the future of the series.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we saw more hints that the government knows what's going on. The cop with the water, the EMS crew in the iso suits, headshots. Someone has a clue.

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Exactly my point! Without source material I can finally enjoy something without an idea of how things go down.

With that said, I really liked tonight's episode. The slow build continues and things are starting to escalate. It's really spooky seeing society fall apart around our characters and everyday life is pretty much over from this point on.

- - - Updated - - -

Travis knows the shit hit the fan. Also notice how in the end we see their neighbors car empty with the doors and trunk open? I'm gonna go ahead and think the poor sap turned. Was he the man attaching the woman across the street?
    That was Alicia's Boyfriend's house...guess his parents got home from Las Vegas and found that he turned...

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerized View Post
    That was Alicia's Boyfriend's house...guess his parents got home from Las Vegas and found that he turned...
    I'm pretty sure it was the house where the kids party was and I think Moon Knight nailed it that the neighbour who was loading the car turned. Again like Moon I am getting a kick out not having a Scooby Doo what is going on, which is one of the reasons I stopped reading TWD at Volume 20.

Two episodes in I am loving FTWD. Can I just ask you all to pause for one minute, we have TWO solid living dead series to enjoy, TWO!!

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I enjoyed this episode, much better than the first, as things were definitely turned up a notch with widespread panic and many potential scares around the corner. It was a bit frustrating that Maddie and Travis just could not communicate to their families on exactly what they saw and how bad things were. Perhaps, it's partially in their own disbelief of events, but I think most people would react differently.

It'll be interesting to see how events unfold with these specific characters and how they fare on surviving. I assume most if not all of them do not have shooting/fighting skills like Rick, Daryl and Michonne and these fresh zombies seem harder to kill.

United States
    I agree with Aces regarding Madie being subdued. Killing a friend and a coworker would, in my opinion illicit more of an emotional display. Admittedly I was happy that she had her breakdown moment hit. Made it more believable for me. But this show is really fun to watch and this is just a minor issue for me. I was bothered why they didn't take the food. Come on, you just bashed your bosses head in with a fire extinguisher, may as well help the kid with the food.

I think the end scene with mom shutting and blocking the daughter from helping the neighbor lady that is being munched on, shows us that her and Travis are ahead of the curve. Even though she is telling her kids that the gov will contain it, I think she is thinking a much bigger scale event is going down.

UK
    I agree with Aces regarding Madie being subdued. Killing a friend and a coworker would, in my opinion illicit more of an emotional display.
    To be fair he was her boss, maybe she had been picturing killing him for years so it wasn't much of a shock!
    Last edited by DayoftheZ; 31-Aug-2015 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Quote mess up

United States
    These "fresh" zombies are difficult to tell apart from normal people at a distance. Now I can see how confusion would cause a lot of deaths in the early days. And screw the government for keeping everything from the people! That was a HUGE mistake as we know from how everything turned out.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    To be fair he was her boss, maybe she had been picturing killing him for years so it wasn't much of a shock!
    I stand corrected

Super Moderator

UK
    Another crackin' episode - and this one was quite scary, too - all the stuff showing just how quick society could break down, and all from a piss poor lack of communication. People assuming one thing - with sod all information - and things getting heated to the point of rioting. It's terrifying!

Hopefully Alicia will have been brought up to speed by Madison come episode three, because any more of her being ignorant to the shit that's going down will take the piss - but I think Alicia finally realised something properly serious was going down. Good to see that Travis' ex-wife cottoned on much quicker, as did his son (after his flirtation with social justice and protest), although they're still in the dark on the details - but at least they get how serious the situation is.

One thing bugged me - either Madison and the kid just left all that food at the school, or the way it was covered/edited was bad - yeah, you've killed your undead principal, but you've got a load of food just sitting there that's almost at your car ... so that was the only thing that really annoyed me.

Naturally, a couple of memes sprung to mind:

Also, dick move on Travis' part - leaving Alicia's boyfriend to turn and chow down on his parents when they got back home.

Oh, and - as mentioned in the thread about 'Walking Dead on a Plane' - I noticed the shot of the plane in the sky early on in this episode. I'm figuring that is the plane that'll be featured in the half hour special that'll introduce a character for Season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I'm gonna go ahead and think the poor sap turned. Was he the man attaching the woman across the street?
    Ooh yeah, I hadn't quite added those two up until you mentioned ... chilling stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Staredge View Post
    I attribute it to being in teacher mode. What has she been doing both episodes?? Protecting her kids, both biological and students. The quick breakdown in the bathroom stopped when her daughter came to the door. I suspect there will be a more severe reaction at some point in the future of the series.

I think we saw more hints that the government knows what's going on. The cop with the water, the EMS crew in the iso suits, headshots. Someone has a clue.
    Aye. Just think about people during 9/11 - people who had been near the falling towers - walking around covered in muck, shuffling though debris. They're shut down, they're not screaming and wailing and all sorts, they're just closed off - survival mode, as you say - I'm sure once they got home and cleaned up they broke down. Your subconscious probably thinks "you're in a danger zone here, we need to get home, so no emotions for you just yet - save that for later until we're safe".

Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    Can I just ask you all to pause for one minute, we have TWO solid living dead series to enjoy, TWO!!
    I know, right?!?! Hopefully FTWD continues on this trajectory, because I'm loving it. We are indeed lucky pups.

Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    And screw the government for keeping everything from the people! That was a HUGE mistake as we know from how everything turned out.
    To be fair any government would be in a dreadful Catch 22. Present that to the people and are they going to react any better - really? It might make things a little easier, or make the collapse of society come slower - maybe give mankind a better shot - but ultimately it's likely going to go down the pan no matter what. I think they thought they could contain it before they really knew what they were dealing with and it just got beyond their capabilities - at which point it was too late to really get their point across clearly.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 31-Aug-2015 at 05:06 PM.