Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead 1x02 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    That's what gets to me most in horror stuff these days. Jump scares are cheap and you can see them coming from a mile off, they go as quickly as they came, and the shock doesn't linger more than a few seconds - if the jump makes you jump, even - whereas the really chilling stuff, like we're seeing in FTWD, that's the stuff that lingers in the back of your mind and unpacks over a matter of days and really wiggles into the back of your subconscious and creeps you the hell out ... it gets you on an emotional level and has a far bigger, longer lasting effect.

Tension is another thing that TWD and now FTWD does so well, too. I routinely find myself with my fingers all twisted together because the suspense is getting to me. Dread is far more potent that "BOO!"

"BOO" has its place and most horror films include a jump scare along the way and when done well can be effective, but yeh, it's dread that lingers. Unfortunately most horror pictures, these days, seem to think that that's what an audience wants and maybe they're correct. When you're 18 (the target age of the genre by and large), you don't have a sense of dread (unless you've experienced some nasty crap in your short life). So, "BOO" is your horror.

It's one of the reasons why I like the zombie apocalypse genre, despite the fact that it's largely a one trick pony. But, it's the sense that everything is over and changed forever. All of the shit we take as normal, or for granted, disappears and dwindles down to a largely pointless existence. Not that existence has a point anyway, other than to simply exist.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    So, is the "flu" killing people as well?
    It would be a good way to get around the argument that an apocalypse would never happen with shamblers. If the dead rise in huge numbers at once then it's definitely all over
    Last edited by kidgloves; 03-Sep-2015 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Fg
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    So, is the "flu" killing people as well?
    It would be a good way to get around the argument that an apocalypse would never happen with shamblers. If the dead rise in huge numbers at once then it's definitely all over
    I thought "flu" was just a mis-diagnosis? ie: No one really has it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I thought "flu" was just a mis-diagnosis? ie: No one really has it?
    Flu, virus, etc. Is it making people sick and some are dying?
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Shame there's only four more to go
    In this season, sure, but we do have the benefit of an already green lit Season 2.

And, of course, as soon as FTWD Season 1 finishes, TWD Season 6 begins!

Twitching

Undisclosed
    It was hinted in the main series that a flu outbreak helped things along. Maybe the zombie flu killed a portion of the population and the survivors we know are all immune.

Ireland
    A flu pandemic is a great idea for knocking off large numbers of people. The flu killed more people in Europe after WWI than the war itself. Coupled with the zombie virus and things breaking down generally, I could see things getting pretty buggered quite fast.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    The flu killed more people in Europe after WWI than the war itself.
    An avian flu wasn't it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I don't think the origin or transmission has ever been conclusively shown. It's still up for debate as far as I know.

United States
    After a second viewing I noticed they are already putting it together that once you die you come back no matter what. Makes you wonder how no one in the survivors group didn't know sooner.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    After a second viewing I noticed they are already putting it together that once you die you come back no matter what. Makes you wonder how no one in the survivors group didn't know sooner.
    I'm not sure of where all the group came from but maybe the information was more readily availiable in LA being that its a bigger place. Shane, Lori and Carl certainly came from a much smaller place so perhaps communications fell earlier. That said Morgan did say that the gas stayed on for a month, but I dont recall him mentioning electrics.

Now I think of it though Jaqui at least must have worked in the City because she knew about the sewers.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    I'm not sure of where all the group came from but maybe the information was more readily availiable in LA being that its a bigger place. Shane, Lori and Carl certainly came from a much smaller place so perhaps communications fell earlier. That said Morgan did say that the gas stayed on for a month, but I dont recall him mentioning electrics.

Now I think of it though Jaqui at least must have worked in the City because she knew about the sewers.
    Travis and Madison quickly noticed after Matt became infected because, as the couple pointed out, Calvin was shot, not bitten. Perhaps no one in the group witnessed it first hand like our FTWD characters did and they just left everything behind as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 04-Sep-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Missing words
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    I guess this show blows my theory of the zombie apocalypse is confined to the eastern portion of the United States out of the water. I figured that would be a good Twilight Zone ending.