Thread: RIP Wes Craven

Administrator

England

RIP Wes Craven

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34104752

American horror film director Wes Craven, creator of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, has died aged 76.

US media reported that Craven died at his Los Angeles home on Sunday from brain cancer.

Craven wrote and directed A Nightmare on Elm Street in 1984. His Scream franchise was reported to have grossed more than $100m (£65m) in the US.
    I'll be watching "A Nightmare on Elm Street" this week!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    WHAT?!?!

Had no idea Craven had brain cancer, or that he was ill in any way, so this comes totally out of the blue.

Ireland
    Christ, that really is out of the blue. Didn't even know he was sick.

I can't say I was his biggest fan, I can only cite 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' as a particular favorite, but his impact on American horror film is a very important one.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    I think it must have been pretty unexpected, as he had several deals in place for projects he was producing with various companies and studios.

Man launched TWO major franchises & left behind a solid body of work overall. Besides "NOES" & the "Scream" series you've got a resume that includes "Last House on the Left", "The Hills Have Eyes", "Swamp Thing", "Deadly Friend", "The Serpent and the Rainbow", "Shocker", "The People Under the Stairs", "Vampire in Brooklyn", "Cursed", "Red Eye", & "My Soul to Take".

RIP to one of the great directors in horror.