Thread: Do You Want Flys With That?!

UK

Do You Want Flys With That?!

I bought The Walking Dead series 1-4 on DVD the other day and have started watching them back again. (I had them on my sky box but wanted the DVDs to sit proud on my shelf.)

Anyway what I noticed having not gone back to series one for sixth months or so its the use of flys in series one. They stood out like a sore thumb at the hospital and the CDC but then disappeared in the series that followed. Do you think they were cut as part of the cost cutting after Darabont left, or a creative decision by Mezzara and Gimble. I am in two minds as to if it is a slight distraction or a nice addition.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    I bought The Walking Dead series 1-4 on DVD the other day and have started watching them back again. (I had them on my sky box but wanted the DVDs to sit proud on my shelf.)

Anyway what I noticed having not gone back to series one for sixth months or so its the use of flys in series one. They stood out like a sore thumb at the hospital and the CDC but then disappeared in the series that followed. Do you think they were cut as part of the cost cutting after Darabont left, or a creative decision by Mezzara and Gimble. I am in two minds as to if it is a slight distraction or a nice addition.
    Maybe they proved just too hard to train?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Netherlands
    Maybe they wanted more money.

UK
    If thats the case could they not just but loads of raisins and make tiny wings and legs. They could reuse them then.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Maybe they wanted more money.
    * get ready for the drum roll here... seriously! get ready... *

Yes... Because I heard their pay was shit!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I've noticed this before. In the comic the Walkers are always surrounded by flys. It can't be that hard or expensive to add them in via CGi but who am I to know for sure. *shrug*
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Maybe the constant droning buzz of flies would just become too annoying on-screen, whereas in a comic they're soundless and motionless little spots of ink on a piece of paper.

Also, there might be a 'scare factor' issue related to it - the sound of flies might be an early warning that walkers were near, so it could play havoc with trying to stage a jump scare.

There might also be a cost issue - it might seem like a small thing, and in the grand scheme of things it's possibly not that expensive, but it'd still be a constant cost that would have to be factored in. Any time a walker is on screen there'd have to be flies ... and just imagine that, I think we'd all get sick of the sound of buzzing.

Perhaps flies should only be used for the mankiest walkers, the ones that really make you go "ewww!"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Maybe the constant droning buzz of flies would just become too annoying on-screen, whereas in a comic they're soundless and motionless little spots of ink on a piece of paper.

Also, there might be a 'scare factor' issue related to it - the sound of flies might be an early warning that walkers were near, so it could play havoc with trying to stage a jump scare.

There might also be a cost issue - it might seem like a small thing, and in the grand scheme of things it's possibly not that expensive, but it'd still be a constant cost that would have to be factored in. Any time a walker is on screen there'd have to be flies ... and just imagine that, I think we'd all get sick of the sound of buzzing.

Perhaps flies should only be used for the mankiest walkers, the ones that really make you go "ewww!"
    Good valid points all around. It would get old quick I suppose.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    The flies were eating the zombies, right? Maybe they all became infected, sparking a fly zombie apocalypse.

Maybe all of the flying pests have become extinct. That would explain why the group who lives in the woods around Georgia in the summer doesn't go scavenging for "Food, water, gasoline, and Deep Woods Off."
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Even taking the constant buzzing of flies out of the equation, in reality, zombies could NEVER sneak up on people unannounced. You'd smell a herd long before you ever saw them! That's something that can never be effectively conveyed on screens or comic pages.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    The flies were eating the zombies, right? Maybe they all became infected, sparking a fly zombie apocalypse.
    I smell a new spin-off for AMC! The Flying Dead!

Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Even taking the constant buzzing of flies out of the equation, in reality, zombies could NEVER sneak up on people unannounced. You'd smell a herd long before you ever saw them! That's something that can never be effectively conveyed on screens or comic pages.
    IIRC they used the smell factor in one of the episodes in Season 5A ... Abraham and Co come up towards a rise and smell something rank, they go to the peak of the road and down below in the distance is a cattle farm (or something like that) filled with a herd of walkers all nice and sun-cooked.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I smell a new spin-off for AMC! The Flying Dead!
    I'd watch it. lol