Thread: The Visit (film) - M. Night Shyamalan

Administrator

England

The Visit (film) - M. Night Shyamalan

Has he finally managed to make a watchable film after all these years? - http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews...an-1201588567/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfQnRjkuvaY

- - - Updated - - -

AICN likes it - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/73017

THE VISIT is a flawed movie, but damn if I didn't have fun with it. It's the kind of fun you may feel guilty about later, having bought into the premise, but you won't feel that guilty - you're supposed to scream at a rollercoaster after all, and you're also supposed to say, when you get off, "That wasn't THAT scary." As a ride, THE VISIT does exactly as M. Night Shyamalan intended. If this gets him back on the road to being the filmmaker we fell in love with in 1999, so much the better.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Saw it this morning. The story of this is perfectly creepy AF, but they kind of squander it with the whole documentary footage angle. They could've dumped all the clutter that added, awkwardly at times, and toned down the deep, emotional crapola as well.
    I will say that some parts did thoroughly creep me out. Do I think the twist at the end was super way out there?
    Not really, but I did enjoy it for what it was. I would give it an A if they'd just made it a normally shot film. I still don't understand why people make, or like, this style of film. I think it just cheapens it. So it is a B then...
    Could've been.

Ireland
    Do people actually "like it" though Ron? Or, is it just shoe horned into everything these days. I'm thoroughly tired of it myself.

As for Mr Shamalamalinglang, I am usually willing to give his films a chance. For the life of me, I don't know why. His only really good effort was 'The Sixth Sense'. I can't say I'll be going out of my way to see 'The Visit' though, and part of the reason is that found footage nonsense.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I still find M. Night Shyamalan to be a very competent director. Some of his stuff isn't good at all, but Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs I love. I liked After Earth too. He knows how to direct a film at a pace which I enjoy.