Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead 1x03 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerized View Post
    ...wouldn't it have occurred to someone to turn on the TV to see what was happening in the rest of the city?
    Just because we did not see a TV on, doesn't mean there wasn't an attempt, it just means it didn't fit into the narrative. Maybe they tried it and it was all static, maybe there was something on and it will be revealed later when relevant to the plot...we can only assume that it was either not yet material to the narrative, or overlooked (which obviously we hope is not the case).

But yeah, it would've been nice for it to have been addressed in some way, since media is an important part of 99.9% of the average viewing public's (and one would assume the average person in the TWD Universe's pre-apocalypse) life.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    I didn't think I'd be able to watch this show... but thanks to geektv.me I won't have to wait until it's out on DVD...

The barber character probably had some exerience in the El Salvador civil war.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerized View Post
    Something that continually bothered me at least through the first half of this episode...at least while the Clark's had power in their house...wouldn't it have occurred to someone to turn on the TV to see what was happening in the rest of the city?
    Good point!

On other reality check points, I was a bit annoying with zombies walking around the area, how laid back they all seemed just leaving doors open, and as a dad myself, I know for one I would be making sure everyone was inside and I knew they were inside... Not just wondering around willy-nilly... Even down to making sure people's car windows were shut!

And the biggest question of them all. Why is Nick still seemingly wearing the old man's clothes he stole? Am I imagining that?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbomb View Post
    Ah! That sounds like a good theory to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    The bit I liked was the power going on and off. When they were driving from the riots and all the power was going out, I was thinking 'this is way too early in the fall for this to be happening'. Thankfully the power came on again and stayed on for quite a while later on so it hints that they managed to get that under control, a subtle hint at society trying to cling on to life.

The whole thing with Susan and then her husband was brilliant. It gave Team Travis a chance to have close look at somebody they knew and they could see how who they were, was no longer there. They can be in no doubt now that Susan was dead as was the neighbour.
    1) Same here, and it was rather chilling to see the entire city descend into darkness as they drove away from it. That thing of mankind clinging on to their life is one of more the lingering aspects of this show, one of those things that really wiggles its way into your mind and chills you.

2) Agreed. I also liked when Nick said matter of factly "It's the truth" when Travis asked him why did he say Susan was dead. The others don't want to accept what's in front of them, and it would be an extremely bizarre notion to get your head around - it goes against one of the most fundamental and inevitable things about human biology (we all die, no exceptions), so it'd be a messed up thing to get your mind around.

Seeing Pete and then Susan all messed up and walking around puts it out there on front street, so-to-speak. They have to accept what they've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    On other reality check points, I was a bit annoying with zombies walking around the area, how laid back they all seemed just leaving doors open, and as a dad myself, I know for one I would be making sure everyone was inside and I knew they were inside... Not just wondering around willy-nilly... Even down to making sure people's car windows were shut!

And the biggest question of them all. Why is Nick still seemingly wearing the old man's clothes he stole? Am I imagining that?
    I did think "why did you leave the door open?!" when they all ran off to Susan's, which was irksome. I know they have to get the walker inside, but it was a little thing that annoyed. As for the car windows - well, again, to be fair, these people don't really know what's happening - and they either didn't know that dead people were attacking the living, or in the case of Madison at the end of the episode it is day light and she can see all around her ... these people have had one bad night versus an entire lifetime of normality, so you're not going to rewire your instincts on such things in a flash.

Yeah - why is Nick still wearing that old dude's clothes?! It's not been long in story terms (I think like 24 hours or thereabouts), but I would have thought he'd wanted to change into something else ... or is he not living there anymore, and so wouldn't have any other clothes?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah - why is Nick still wearing that old dude's clothes?! It's not been long in story terms (I think like 24 hours or thereabouts), but I would have thought he'd wanted to change into something else ... or is he not living there anymore, and so wouldn't have any other clothes?
    Any bets he's wearing those clothes for the rest of the series now?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I kinda had mixed feelings about this one. I guess I went in with higher expectations. With that said, we kinda now know where our characters stand. Travis being labeled as "weak" I kind of understand but wasn't he the first one to believe Nick's story of people eating other people? Also, he DID see Nick hit someone with the car multiple times; not to mention it was someone who has been previously shot. To me his character kind of went backwards but I guess we're just gonna have to wait and see how his story plays out. His decisions this week were frustrating because out of everyone there I would think he'd be the more accepting of what's really going on.

Daniel's character is definitely hiding something from his past as he just doesn't give a ****. I really dig him.

Liza and Maison's conversation was really good. Madison knows what's up.

Nick's character continues to shine. His actions are believable as an addict but underneath he really shows he cares for his family.

With only 3 episodes left, things should finally begin to fall apart to the point of no return.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Travis being labeled as "weak" I kind of understand but wasn't he the first one to believe Nick's story of people eating other people? Also, he DID see Nick hit someone with the car multiple times; not to mention it was someone who has been previously shot. To me his character kind of went backwards but I guess we're just gonna have to wait and see how his story plays out. His decisions this week were frustrating because out of everyone there I would think he'd be the more accepting of what's really going on.
    Agreed!

Although his comments about killing the neighbour were spot on... Who knows if in truth she couldn't be helped (at this point in time)...?
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Agreed!

Although his comments about killing the neighbour were spot on... Who knows if in truth she couldn't be helped (at this point in time)...?
    Yeah, I can see that. It would have been really stupid if everyone just quickly turned into a murderous badass. Still, he should have known Peter was at least "Dangerous". The dude was eating a dog after all.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

UK
    I did think "why did you leave the door open?!" when they all ran off to Susan's, which was irksome. I know they have to get the walker inside, but it was a little thing that annoyed. As for the car windows - well, again, to be fair, these people don't really know what's happening - and they either didn't know that dead people were attacking the living, or in the case of Madison at the end of the episode it is day light and she can see all around her ... these people have had one bad night versus an entire lifetime of normality, so you're not going to rewire your instincts on such things in a flash.
    I think we need to remember the mistakes that Team Rick made on TWD in the first couple of seasons. They were two/three months down the line and didn't have a full handle on how to stay safe. Team Travis have had a matter of hours to get used to all this so it is obvious that they are going to make mistakes even more stupid that those in the sister show.

Ha, great observation!! I suppose you could forgive him with the dead coming back to life and him being ill after going cold turkey, but it is pretty funny that he is still wearing those clothes!!

Yeah, I can see that. It would have been really stupid if everyone just quickly turned into a murderous badass. Still, he should have known Peter was at least "Dangerous". The dude was eating a dog after all.
    I am with you on Travis, he did take a step back, but maybe he has slipped into a bit of a trance like state with the you know what hitting the fan. I think it is more likely to be a continuity error in the writing but I like to reason my way to make it more enjoyable!!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbomb View Post

Too bad they didn't bother to make them sound very El Salvadorean. My wife, who is from there, cringed when she heard them talking. Even I could tell.
    Nothing super major, but still...

Super Moderator

United States

Yeah - why is Nick still wearing that old dude's clothes?!
    I think the character has more important things on his mind, trying to stave off the more negative effects of withdrawal and, like any junkie worth his salt, trying to figure out how he can fake it while getting his next high.

He is either going to be wearing those old man clothes or some other baggy clothes, as I'm sure the producers want him to look skinny, like the popularly accepted image of a junkie.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Nick is one of my favorite characters. He's quirky and his mannerisms are great. Also, like I stated before, he's open to accept the worse possible scenario and is willing to do what he has to do to survive; all while battling addiction and withdrawals. It's crazy how this guy is the real life son of Stannis Baratheon.

United States
    Nick is one of my favorite characters. He's quirky and his mannerisms are great. Also, like I stated before, he's open to accept the worse possible scenario and is willing to do what he has to do to survive; all while battling addiction and withdrawals. It's crazy how this guy is the real life son of Stannis Baratheon.
    No way! I just watched Game of Thrones last month. I never would have put that together...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    I think we need to remember the mistakes that Team Rick made on TWD in the first couple of seasons. They were two/three months down the line and didn't have a full handle on how to stay safe. Team Travis have had a matter of hours to get used to all this so it is obvious that they are going to make mistakes even more stupid that those in the sister show.

I am with you on Travis, he did take a step back, but maybe he has slipped into a bit of a trance like state with the you know what hitting the fan. I think it is more likely to be a continuity error in the writing but I like to reason my way to make it more enjoyable!!
    1) Aye, a fair point, with which I agree. I guess it's also with me being a very fastidious kind of person - I'd never personally leave the house with the door open for any period of time, so to me it's madness, but to other people it's nothing. As I said elsewhere, they've got a lifetime of the normal world in their mindset and - as you say - a few hours of this crazy new world (that they fully believe to be set back into order soon by the authorities).

2) He's also a teacher, so he's not some badass fighter. He's an academic, a thinker, not necessarily a doer - that's something he'll have to change when things get really messed up. I remember the showrunners saying that these people are just like you and me facing the apocalypse. In TWD you had trained police officers, you had Daryl with his survivalism, so there were strong and capable people from the start - although there were also normal people (pizza delivery guy Glenn, for example), but even they mostly got into the groove fairly well (not all, but some) ... and of course we met them a few weeks down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I think the character has more important things on his mind, trying to stave off the more negative effects of withdrawal and, like any junkie worth his salt, trying to figure out how he can fake it while getting his next high.

He is either going to be wearing those old man clothes or some other baggy clothes, as I'm sure the producers want him to look skinny, like the popularly accepted image of a junkie.
    Another fair point well said.

I'm likewise impressed with this guy playing Nick, and find him to be one of the most interesting characters. His family are all very suburban and safe, whereas through his addiction he'll have seen - and met - very rough people, and strange people, dangerous people etc, so ... in a way ... he's kind of better prepped to accept this kind of crazy situation, or better prepped to adapt to it.

Ireland
    WOW. I genuinely thought he was a Yank.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....