Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead 1x04 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    That was one thing that bothered me. Supposedly everything is up shit creek. The world is falling apart. And yet, outside, just a few bodies? If things are this bad, why are there not a few hordes of zombies appearing? And loads more bodies around the surrounding area?

As regards the military possibly killing civilians... Do you think it like how they stop forest fires? ie: Clear areas out to stop it spreading/getting worse?
    It was mentioned in the beginning of the episode - sounded like there had been a mass evacuation of the surrounding areas (the "DZ") and that the living had all been loaded up in trucks and sent to quarantine camps east (possibly Bakersfield or Las Vegas)...whether that is actually true or not at this point is anyone's guess. After the initial evacuation the military has probably been sweeping through the area with search and destroy units (for both living and dead) to control infection -- just a guess.

They are going to rather great lengths though to keep the survivors in the camp isolated (no news delivered and land lines promised but never delivered) and subdued so as to not question anything...almost like an experimental control group. I suspect something very bad is in store for them!

Super Moderator

United States
    Yup, still loving this show and the pace they're taking with it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Best episode yet, which considering it had zero zombies, was a bit weird...

It'll be interesting to see how the hospital stuff works out - It makes sense that medical staff were more likely to have been killed than the general population, so will be thin on the ground post Z-day.

Administrator

England
    Clearly "Fear" is different from the original (Walking Dead) series in that it's really focusing in on the start of the plague...

What will be interesting then is how the future seasons continue to try and keep it different too. I mean in a couple of series surely they'll be knee-deep in it like "The Walking Dead" so the scripts will need some good writing to keep things fresh, original and different!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    If they kept to cities or large towns the difference in backdrop alone would make the show seem different but once that wears off I have no idea how they would change it up
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    One thing that was brought to my attention is they already skipped 9 days ahead into the apocalypse; skipping over a lot of material that was promised on the show. There are only 12 safe zones now and the general city is already gone. I wanted to see all that happen! That's a bit dissapointing when you think about it. Still enjoyed the episode nonetheless.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    Yeh. It's kind of like the episodes have acted like A, B, C -> M. Skipping out all the other letters in between.

It's a decent show, but this 6 episode business is a load of old pony. You're only getting into the thing and then it's gone for the feckin year.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yeh. It's kind of like the episodes have acted like A, B, C -> M. Skipping out all the other letters in between.

It's a decent show, but this 6 episode business is a load of old pony. You're only getting into the thing and then it's gone for the feckin year.
    With only six epsiodes I guess it's tricky? Maybe some other character flash backs could do this?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This was probably my favorite episode thus far, but I'm still not completely sold on this spinoff series. Hopefully as it progresses it will pull me in like the original series.

As for the six episode season, much like TWD, AMC greenlit 6 episodes straight out of the gate rather than ordering a pilot episode and then greenlighting the series from there. So technically, the six episode first seasons are a sort of a good thing in the sense that they have faith in the series and we get it sooner.

England
    I also found the time-jump irksome, but then we've complained about the lack of time-gaps in some of TWD in the past...

Interesting how the Madison family is showing signs of stress - Mom turning to the bottle, the daughter effectively self-harming with the DIY tattoo, not to mention Nick....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbomb View Post
    Interesting how the Madison family is showing signs of stress - Mom turning to the bottle, the daughter effectively self-harming with the DIY tattoo, not to mention Nick....
    Indeed! What sort of mental state must Nick be in to get back into those same old man clothes over and over and over
    -Carl Sagan

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    One thing that was brought to my attention is they already skipped 9 days ahead into the apocalypse; skipping over a lot of material that was promised on the show. There are only 12 safe zones now and the general city is already gone. I wanted to see all that happen! That's a bit dissapointing when you think about it. Still enjoyed the episode nonetheless.
    I thought about that too...most likely due to budgeting constraints
    Last edited by slayerized; 24-Sep-2015 at 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerized View Post
    I thought about that too...most likely due to budgeting constraints
    ...and episode number constraints? ie: Only six to work with!

Would be nice if in Season 2 we get new characters and lots of flash backs to the early stages again! We know we're getting "the plane" for example next month...
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    ...and episode number constraints? ie: Only six to work with!

Would be nice if in Season 2 we get new characters and lots of flash backs to the early stages again! We know we're getting "the plane" for example next month...
    This. I don't want to rush into the apoculypse so quickly. That's what the main show is for.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

BTW do we know how many episodes in the next series?
    AMC Announces 15-Episode Order for Fear the Walking Dead Season 2....

http://www.amc.com/shows/fear-the-wa...-dead-season-2

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    This. I don't want to rush into the apoculypse so quickly. That's what the main show is for.
    This is what frustrated me about the 9 day time jump between episodes 3-4. They need to make up their minds. Either they go with the slow burn approach or skip 9 days worth of vital information.

Clearly Daniel's reaction to an occupying military force and conforming to a concentration camp lifestyle would have been different than Travis for example. That conflict would have been nice to see.

Also, if the goal was to show us the fall of society then they skipped over all that too. As Chris States in the beginning of the episode everything within a six mile radius is dead or so they're told.

We literally go from an up an running society to 12 safe zones, sporadic power grid, food rations and Gestapo tactics such as whisking people's loved ones away in the middle of the night at gunpoint,
    and they didn't think anything in the interim was worthy enough to show? Odd.

Just for the record episode four failed to show one infected (I'll stick with that being as that the term walker does not exist at this juncture) yet it's my favorite episode of the season by far.

I understand the slow burn approach is a narrative choice but is some consistency too much too ask for? Don't slow burn me and make we watch people play monopoly (seriously I still can't believe they did that.) And yet skip through what was probably the most eventful 9 days of the apocalypse.

Seriously, more people had to die within the first month or two of the plague than in the next 3 years combined. It would be nice to see that. I'm all for character development (I'm a GAR fan for God's sake) but isn't the other stuff important to see as well?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"