Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead 1x04 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK

Fear The Walking Dead 1x04 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please keep all talk of episode 1x04 "Not Fade Away" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Enjoy!

Directed by: Kari Skogland
    Written by: Meaghan Oppenheimer

United States
    My initial thought during the episode: what kind of idiot goes outside of the wall?

My post-episode thoughts: what kind of idiot stays within the walls?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinFromHell View Post
    My initial thought during the episode: what kind of idiot goes outside of the wall?

Indeed! Also, while things are crumbling, there's still 'normal' behaviour happening here and there - Travis going for a run, for instance, with his music plugged in, Nick relaxing in the pool etc ... meanwhile all hell is breaking loose, but these civilians are currently in the dark as to the scale of everything.

This episode also illustrated just how important communication is, and especially in situations like this. Even if you don't have an answer to a question yet, at least talk to the people about why you don't have an answer yet, and assure them that you're working on it, but explain that they're dealing with a very complicated situation and cooperation is key to helping everyone out.

However - did anyone get a sort of 'Governor-in-waiting' vibe from the military guy in charge? There he was swinging his golf club, pretending to care about the people just as long as it convinced them to do something (e.g. making Travis talk to Doug).

This was another episode which really creeped me out. It's chilling to see how delicate something like that is. Although they've been able to create these 'safe' zones, there seems to be a communication problem coming from high command, perhaps - do these guys running the area really know what's going on? Have they lost contact? The issue with getting the phone lines up - and not doing it - was deliciously conspiratorial, but holds a lot of water as well. Of course, the lack of communication inspires such paranoia and works against the military as much as it works in their favour, if not more against than for.

Chilling, also, to see the streets beyond the safe zone - uninfected people gunned down, desperate messages etc.

As for that Doctor lady taking away Nick - I wonder what that's all about? It could very well be for good purposes (to help get him off the junk), but how Nick was taken away shows the communication problem in spades. It's a hard situation to be in, but barging into someone's home, knocking the kid out, and then dragging him away to who knows where isn't going to do you any favours in terms of keeping the safe zone stable. You're going to encourage unrest.

Then you get suspicious - is there some sort of government-sanctioned extermination process happening? Is anyone in threat of dying being taken away and snuffed out? If so then it must be extraordinarily desperate times within the government and the authorities ... it's terrifying to think about!

Liza - what's up with that? She's not a nurse? I assume that means officially - has she been struck off prior to the outbreak? I wonder what that's about ... it'll be interesting to see inside this place where Nick, Liza, and Griselda have been taken to (perhaps next week?)

FTWD 1x04 Memes:

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I'm miffed that the sneak peak on Youtube was the whole scene outside the safe zone that I looked forward to. I felt cheated!
    Also for Nick to steal morphine from a old man, I want him to suffer HORRIBLY!

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Then you get suspicious - is there some sort of government-sanctioned extermination process happening? Is anyone in threat of dying being taken away and snuffed out? If so then it must be extraordinarily desperate times within the government and the authorities ... it's terrifying to think about!
    I don't think that they're snuffing people out in that they are executing them. The Government at this point probably has a pretty good idea that all people that die will eventually turn. So my guess is that they are going through the camps collecting all the sick and injured people and keeping them at the "medical facility" so that they can be studied to see WHY they come back. Sort of like TS-19. Think next week we will see that nobody is getting the help they need at the medical facility!
    Last edited by slayerized; 21-Sep-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: spelling error

United States

Brilliant!

United States
    It kept bringing me back to Day of the Dead, and the struggle between the military and scientists. In this case, the military and the people. The people want their lives back, the military seems to just want control and order.

This season could really go into chilling places with its direction, and that's without the walkers.

Administrator

England
    When I saw that, I was actually saying out loud, "No! No! No! What are you doing!!!"

I understand she was after answers, but it seemed a massive unknown risk to take!

- - - Updated - - -

And unless I imagined it... Nick was still in his old man's uniform? Or did I imagine that?!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    And unless I imagined it... Nick was still in his old man's uniform? Or did I imagine that?!
    Yup ... at least he got out of them for a spell in the pool, but he was straight back into them to go shuffling about for some drugs.

The guy's performance is good, though. It's frustrating to watch, but someone hooked on the junk - and particularly in such a messed up situation as in FTWD - isn't going to think rationally, or selflessly, they'll just be seeking escape. Present an opportunity (the sick guy next door with a morphine drip) and many struggling addicts in an insane situation would surely buckle under the temptation. In many ways it's quite sad to see the vicious cycle. I think the actor's doing a very good job of portraying it.

United States
    This show has balls to give us an entire episode without any Walkers. I can see casual viewers being frustrated but this is what the show needs to be and in glad after three episodes this is the direction they went with.

As far as our core group of characters they continue to develop in different directions. Madison, Chris, and Daniel seem smart and know something isn't right while Travis, Liza, and Alicia continue to straddle the line of clueless and ignorance. This girl really hasn't washed her arm in 9 days? And Nick? Lol dude still clings on to old mans clothes until the end.

Does any have any clarification as to what Travis saw at the end? Was it another signal from other survivors or nozzle flashes from gunfire? Travis did speak to the military about the possibility of other survivors possibly calling for help. Would make sense the military would fire upon them considering the evidence uncovered by Madison this episode.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    When I saw that, I was actually saying out loud, "No! No! No! What are you doing!!!"

I understand she was after answers, but it seemed a massive unknown risk to take!
    That was my initial thought, but by the end of the episode, my opinion had been completely changed. I think this show is going to really address early on what Romero touched on, at least early on in his films: In a zombie apocalypse, is it the zombies who brings civilization down or humanity itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    This show has balls to give us an entire episode without any Walkers. I can see casual viewers being frustrated but this is what the show needs to be and in glad after three episodes this is the direction they went with.
    Agreed. I've actually read some criticism against the show, claiming its moving too slow.

Seriously? We all survived the snails pace The Walking Dead often moves at, I'm fairly certain everyone is ready to spend six weeks watching paint dry.

Overall, and this may be borderline blasphemous, but I'm actually finding myself liking Fear The Walking Dead more than The Walking Dead.

Administrator

England
    That was my initial thought, but by the end of the episode, my opinion had been completely changed. I think this show is going to really address early on what Romero touched on, at least early on in his films: In a zombie apocalypse, is it the zombies who brings civilization down or humanity itself?

Agreed. I've actually read some criticism against the show, claiming its moving too slow.

Seriously? We all survived the snails pace The Walking Dead often moves at, I'm fairly certain everyone is ready to spend six weeks watching paint dry.

Overall, and this may be borderline blasphemous, but I'm actually finding myself liking Fear The Walking Dead more than The Walking Dead.
    I'm enjoying it so far... And hope it ends on a good/high note ready for the next series...

BTW do we know how many episodes in the next series?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I'm enjoying it so far... And hope it ends on a good/high note ready for the next series...

13 I think. Same as season 2 of TWD
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Does any have any clarification as to what Travis saw at the end? Was it another signal from other survivors or nozzle flashes from gunfire? Travis did speak to the military about the possibility of other survivors possibly calling for help. Would make sense the military would fire upon them considering the evidence uncovered by Madison this episode.
    He saw light flashes first (communication), then he saw muzzle flashes (military killing the person who was seeking help).

1) Some people are weird. If they're going in to FTWD Season 1 with TWD Season 5 thinking, then it says far more about them than the show. Strange expectations - we all knew it was going to be set at the very beginning FFS!

2) Those first seven episodes of TWD Season 2 were fairly slow moving and didn't really have enough content to fill their running times, but I still enjoyed them. I remember complaints about "not enough zombies", but those were rebuffed with pointing out that the walkers hadn't spread out from the cities that much. Obviously, as we saw, that turned around completely come the S2 finale.

3) HEATHEN!!! GATHER WOOD, PEOPLE!!! WE NEED TO GET A PYRE GOING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    13 I think. Same as season 2 of TWD
    What kidgloves said.

Administrator

England
    This show has balls to give us an entire episode without any Walkers.
    That was one thing that bothered me. Supposedly everything is up shit creek. The world is falling apart. And yet, outside, just a few bodies? If things are this bad, why are there not a few hordes of zombies appearing? And loads more bodies around the surrounding area?

As regards the military possibly killing civilians... Do you think it like how they stop forest fires? ie: Clear areas out to stop it spreading/getting worse?
    -Carl Sagan