Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead 1x05 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The stadium was sort of lost on me... So what supposedly happened in there? Is that where a huge lump of the local community went?
    Yeah, I took it that that was a place where they moved a whole chunk of people they'd rounded up (something like 2,000 of them, right?) - but the infection/walkers broke out. Sounds like it was awfully over-stuffed and under-staffed and things just got totally out of control.

Can't wait for next week's season finale!!!

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, I took it that that was a place where they moved a whole chunk of people they'd rounded up (something like 2,000 of them, right?) - but the infection/walkers broke out. Sounds like it was awfully over-stuffed and under-staffed and things just got totally out of control.

Can't wait for next week's season finale!!!
    Yeah I'm not completely sold on the whole "we rounded them up and put them in the arena" idea. First off if there are 2,000 undead in there, that arena is going to have to be right next door to the medical facility otherwise it's not going to make much of a difference...2,000 in a population of potentially 10 million is not that much (the military couldn't have evacuated everybody!).

Also you have to know how Los Angeles is laid out (I know this is just TV!) but I was trying to figure out what arena they supposedly used. Staples Center is smack in downtown, The Forum is in Inglewood out by LAX and LA Sports Arena (my guess) is south of downtown by the LA Memorial Coliseum (the filming appears to be at Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver). Any way you look at it - that is quite a hike for Daniel through some pretty hostile territory! In the previews it looks like he just out for an evening stroll!

Also as I was typing I just thought of something -- from the previews it looks like Daniel will unleash the walkers from the arena on the unsuspecting military in the compound...just like???? Day of the Dead!! when Miguel went up to open the gate and lead the zombies down to the compound to wipe out Rhodes and the gang!

Anybody remember what Miguel's last name was? Salazar!!
    Last edited by slayerized; 29-Sep-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: additionsal info

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerized View Post
    Also as I was typing I just thought of something -- from the previews it looks like Daniel will unleash the walkers from the arena on the unsuspecting military in the compound...just like???? Day of the Dead!! when Miguel went up to open the gate and lead the zombies down to the compound to wipe out Rhodes and the gang!

Anybody remember what Miguel's last name was? Salazar!!
    OMG! Uber theory that!!! Nice! 10 points to you!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    The stadium was sort of lost on me... So what supposedly happened in there? Is that where a huge lump of the local community went?
    I believe that's where the armed forces were dumping all the Walkers and Infected.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I believe that's where the armed forces were dumping all the Walkers and Infected.
    But wasn't there talk of "it all happening so quick"? And implying people were getting infected/bitten/changing so they shut them all in? It's a shame, because it was clearly a situation that could have been made more of and described better? Or did I zone out and miss such a description?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    But wasn't there talk of "it all happening so quick"? And implying people were getting infected/bitten/changing so they shut them all in? It's a shame, because it was clearly a situation that could have been made more of and described better? Or did I zone out and miss such a description?
    Youre right Neil. The tied up soldier said it was chaos and they couldn't tell walkers from the rest so he locked the door. Horrible way to die.

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Youre right Neil. The tied up soldier said it was chaos and they couldn't tell walkers from the rest so he locked the door. Horrible way to die.
    Something I noticed...at the end of the episode Daniel walks right up to the doors of the arena. You can see the walkers pushing against the doors trying to get out yet there are no military personnel anywhere around. Wouldn't you think if they knew there 2,000 walkers that close to them that they would at least post some guards?? The gates to the quarantine zone at least had sandbags and barbed wire and a company of soldiers posted but the arena only had some chains and wooden planks and nobody guarding it! Just an observation...

United States
    Something I noticed...at the end of the episode Daniel walks right up to the doors of the arena. You can see the walkers pushing against the doors trying to get out yet there are no military personnel anywhere around. Wouldn't you think if they knew there 2,000 walkers that close to them that they would at least post some guards?? The gates to the quarantine zone at least had sandbags and barbed wire and a company of soldiers posted but the arena only had some chains and wooden planks and nobody guarding it! Just an observation...
    My guess is that the military is having personnel issues. They have to operate with what they have and their number 1 priority is to protect themselves/unit. Either those doors are bursting open or the military is dropping a 1000lb incendiary. I hope its the former.

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is that the military is having personnel issues. They have to operate with what they have and their number 1 priority is to protect themselves/unit. Either those doors are bursting open or the military is dropping a 1000lb incendiary. I hope its the former.

United States
    It's actually protocol at times of disaster the Military gathers civilians in stadiums with one example being Hurricane Katrina. That's a double edge sword because if many are infected in such close quarters it can definitely spread quickly. I can only imagine what went down in that stadium and what horrors manifest from it. Haunting stuff.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Twitching

Undisclosed
    They could have been refugees from besieged states days before this series began.

Just been bitten

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    It's actually protocol at times of disaster the Military gathers civilians in stadiums with one example being Hurricane Katrina. That's a double edge sword because if many are infected in such close quarters it can definitely spread quickly. I can only imagine what went down in that stadium and what horrors manifest from it. Haunting stuff.
    Seems to me that the stadium infection scenario is the same sort of gig that went down in 28 weeks later when the military locked everyone in the underground car park.
    This final episode is shaping up to be a homage to Day and another Salazar will unleash the undead horde upon the military antagonist.

On a side note, Daniels's father's name was Miguel Salazar.
    Last edited by MagicMoonMonkey; 03-Oct-2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: side note

United States
    Honestly, how thinks he's going to secure his wife's release by declaring war on the military in the midst of a small, military-occupied safe-zone is anyone's guess.

Good to see that reporter woman from Resident Evil 2 is fine. Maybe, she'll have better luck this time.
    Last edited by Doc; 03-Oct-2015 at 10:21 PM. Reason: .

Being Attacked

United States
    So do you think that scene at the beginning of TWD TS-19 where Shane tries to bust Rick out of the hospital...the shootout between the military and the medical staff - think that was their version of "Cobalt"? I still think that was one of the most intense scenes of the entire franchise so far and is one the best representations of society in collapse...

Super Moderator

UK
    So do you think that scene at the beginning of TWD TS-19 where Shane tries to bust Rick out of the hospital...the shootout between the military and the medical staff - think that was their version of "Cobalt"? I still think that was one of the most intense scenes of the entire franchise so far and is one the best representations of society in collapse...
    Good call. Makes sense to me.