Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead 1x05 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK

Fear The Walking Dead 1x05 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please keep all talk of episode 1x05 "Cobalt" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Enjoy!

Directed by: Kari Skogland
    Written by: David Wiener
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 26-Sep-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Administrator

England
    Last but one episode already
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Last but one episode already
    True, but the week after it finishes we get straight into TWD Season 6, then the Xmas break, then another dose of TWD S6, and then it probably won't be too long before FTWD:S2 gets going! *phew!*

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    True, but the week after it finishes we get straight into TWD Season 6, then the Xmas break, then another dose of TWD S6, and then it probably won't be too long before FTWD:S2 gets going! *phew!*
    ..and we've got this airplane episode thingy in there too?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Netherlands
    If I've read it correctly, they're going to spread the airplane episode out over some season 6 episodes during commercial breaks.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/28...g-dead-airline
    Last edited by Ed; 26-Sep-2015 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Found the link after all.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    If I've read it correctly, they're going to spread the airplane episode out over some season 6 episodes during commercial breaks.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/28...g-dead-airline
    Some episodes? Not during one, but many? That sounds very fractured?
    -Carl Sagan

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Some episodes? Not during one, but many? That sounds very fractured?
    "The AMC special will first debut online, and then will be released in a series of chapters that will air during the sixth season of The Walking Dead, out this fall. The special has no set premiere date yet."

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/28/92...irline-zombies

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    "The AMC special will first debut online, and then will be released in a series of chapters that will air during the sixth season of The Walking Dead, out this fall. The special has no set premiere date yet."
    Well that sounds like a plane crash...

Administrator

England
    ^ o m g !
    -Carl Sagan

Being Attacked

United States
    So tonight's episode is called "Cobalt." I remember early on that the series was being developed under the code name of Cobalt. I wonder if tonight's storyline is the creative impetus of the entire series?

United States
    I've always struggled with the idea of our military folding or rather losing to Walkers. But this episode addressed that issue by implying the military just abandons the civilian world. I easily understand that soldiers would desert to their family's once it's gotten out of hand. But even years into TWD world there is still a chance that the military has a stronghold established somewhere.

The idea of a stadium full of walkers is down right intimidating. I can only hope we see those doors breached. Walkers in those numbers would be a believable example of how society could fall. Even us gun toting Yankees would be in deep shit against those odds. Solid episode. Enjoying this ride.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerized View Post
    So tonight's episode is called "Cobalt." I remember early on that the series was being developed under the code name of Cobalt. I wonder if tonight's storyline is the creative impetus of the entire series?
    Agreed, that is a sight that could be very powerful and intimidating. My thought is after they secured the doors did they still use the stadium as a dumping ground through some means?

I think the safe play is destroying the place but how to do that safely, and ensure you do not burn the city to the ground or allow th undead inside to roam free?

United States
    The stadium Walkers are definitely gonna tear shit up. They have to. The show has been VERY shy with showing Walkers and what they can do so this HAS to be the payoff. If so, I'm loving it.

What's with this random Randall Flagg type of character? He seems pretty interesting if not a bit over the top. I have mixed feelings about this guy. Gotta just wait and see how he factors in everything.

Daniel is the man. That's all I'm gonna say. Such a great character. Did he HAVE to torture this poor guy though? Hmmmm.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Really cool episode, this one! Inside the compound where all those people were being kept was - I'll use the word again - chilling. The lack of resources, the general squalor, the corruption etc. This crafty bugger in the sharp suit seems like an interesting character - he knows what's about to be up ... but you could never trust a guy like that. Look at the way he tortured poor Doug ... I wonder what became of Doug ... was he 'humanely put down'?

I dug how they developed the military guys more in this episode. It wasn't a case of making them saints or sinners, but more complex kinds of folks. Clearly those guys didn't respect their C/O, so I wonder if they seized the opportunity in the library to snuff him out/deliberately fail to save/protect him? The guy clearly had poor leadership skills - the kind that don't bring people along with you when times are tough, there's no respect there, no trust. Seeing what the other soldiers thought of their situation, from the dark humour of dealing with having to put down infected civilians, to how they interacted with Travis ... like that one guy who had taken a severe blow to the face for his 'temporary lack of patriotism'.

Like all of you, that climax with the doors all chained up and straining against a horde of the undead creeped me out. I dearly hope we see that burst open and swarm L.A. for a hell of a season closer ... an arena full of walkers? OH MY!

Dealing with that you'd have to somehow block off all the entrances - you'd have to build walls right up against the doors. Sandbag them first of all, then build a great big wall around those weak points. Burning would be too dangerous, as would explosives, as would sending in a team to clear the place out (I'd imagine even the elevated portions would be swamped - and certainly not blocked off for a safe session of sniping) ... so completely blocking every single doorway (and any low windows) would have to be the only real course of action ... but with "COBALT" coming over the radios there'll be nobody to do it.

Also interesting to see how the medical and military staff were dealing with the wounded they were bringing in. They're relatively well informed, they know what needs to be done as soon as they identify a bite, and they have the equipment to do it. It's great to see these little practical details on the screen.

Finally - agreed with the senitments on Daniel - a seriously awesome character. Ruben Blades is rocking it, and Daniel is a very interesting chap! There's some dark things going on in his head, but he's got what it takes to survive ... I hope we get to keep him for a good, long while.

FTWD 1x05 Memes:

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    The idea of a stadium full of walkers is down right intimidating. I can only hope we see those doors breached. Walkers in those numbers would be a believable example of how society could fall. Even us gun toting Yankees would be in deep shit against those odds. Solid episode. Enjoying this ride.
    The stadium was sort of lost on me... So what supposedly happened in there? Is that where a huge lump of the local community went?
    -Carl Sagan