Thread: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

United States

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Anyone playing this on PS4? I finished all the missions on Rank S and completed all the objectives. Just knocking out Side Ops now and trying to finish leveling up my FOB.

For those of you who don't know.... You start out rebuilding your Mother Base...Adding on to the different areas allow you to get more men and develop better weapons. At one point, you end up being able to build a different base called a FOB (Forward Operating Base). This base can be infiltrated by other people online and you can also infiltrate other people too. There is a catch though. You get the chance to defend your FOB or an ally's FOB if your online when they are attacked.

Defending is sooo much easier than infiltrating. Once a defender shows up. You are damn near screwed unless you are a straight up bad ass. I've started my own youtube channel to record the experience.

More videos on my channel (If you're interested). For the record, I'm not a like or viewer junkie. I strictly upload my videos for fun and to help people.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention that Metal Gear Online 3 goes active next week too!

United States
    i purchased ground zeroes on the psn when it was on sale, but felt a bit lost with all the characters and backstory (even with a bit of time spent getting the cliff's notes version online). i recently went and got a copy of the metal gear solid hd collection for the 360, and am playing snake eater right now, working my way towards the phantom pain, which i've already downloaded to my ps4. looks awesome, can't wait to give it a go. the only mgs game i've really played to completion is the first one on psx.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i purchased ground zeroes on the psn when it was on sale, but felt a bit lost with all the characters and backstory (even with a bit of time spent getting the cliff's notes version online). i recently went and got a copy of the metal gear solid hd collection for the 360, and am playing snake eater right now, working my way towards the phantom pain, which i've already downloaded to my ps4. looks awesome, can't wait to give it a go. the only mgs game i've really played to completion is the first one on psx.
    The Phantom Pain is structured a lot like Peace Walker which takes place after Snake Eater. Ground Zeroes is basically like an "alley oop" (think basketball) for The Phantom Pain but after beating The Phantom Pain, I feel like it was a waste of time. I won't go into detail because I don't want to spoil anything for you. In a nut shell, the Metal Gear series simply consists of sagas.

Hopefully my timeline below will help you put the pieces together. I used Sony consoles to put it in perspective of when the games were released. So, PS2 = Xbox, PS3 = Xbox 360....and so on. They are pretty confusing but try and follow. You'll see characters from Snake Eater pop up in several of the other games....even in The Phantom Pain.

Game (Platform) [Game Timeline]

Solid Snake Saga
    Metal Gear (NES) [1995]
    Metal Gear 2 (?) [1999]
    Metal Gear Solid (PSX) [2005]
    MGS2 Sons of Liberty - First Part (PS2) [2007]
    MGS4 Guns of the Patriots (PS3) [2014]

Big Boss Saga
    MGS3 Snake Eater (PS2) [1964]
    Peace Walker (PSP --> PS3) [1974]
    MGS5 Ground Zeroes (PS4) [1975]
    MGS5 The Phantom Pain (PS4) [1984]

Raiden Saga
    MGS2 Sons of Liberty Second Part - (PS2) [2009]
    MGS Rising: Revengence - (PS3) [2016-2018]
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 07-Oct-2015 at 10:51 PM. Reason: ....