Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead 1x06 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK

Fear The Walking Dead 1x06 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please keep all talk of episode 1x06 "The Good Man" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Enjoy!

Directed by: Stefan Schwartz
    Written by: Robert Kirkman & Dave Erickson

United States
    More importantly, WHO is The Good Man?

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic episode and a great way to end the season. Definitely has me hooked for season 2. Success.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

UK
    Very much an episode worthy of the main series, in fact I think it pretty much stands up against a lot of the episodes in the main series. I think where it at times lacks is the quality of the acting is lower than The Walking Dead, but considering the high standards set by the likes of Andrew Lincoln, Jeff DeMunn and Scott Wilson it was going to be hard to match that.

Characters I love so far are the obvious Daniel, Nick and Travis. Travis really stepped up in this episode and set himself out as a leader, even despite his series ½ Rick Grimes mistake of letting the soldier walk. By the way that was an eye roll moment for me that this seemingly nice enough young solider all of a sudden turns and shoots the girl he had feelings for. Thankfully the pay off was top draw with Travis rearranging his face.

I was also a little bit disappointed that over the six episodes we didn’t get a massive Walker / Military war that we should have had in the WWZ. The little battle we had in this episode was fun but I imagined so much more, which perhaps happened during the nine day leap.

I was also happy to see Liza struck off because the last thing we needed was a mirror image of Lori, Shane and Rick in the sister series. I thought that part of the story was well done, but like I say having Liza and Madison fighting over Travis would have been a path well worn.

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with the boat, but am hoping they don’t spend too long on it next series because that could halt any momentum we have built up so far. Although it will be kind of interesting to see them pulling into coastal towns on supply runs.

Like Moon said, I am hooked for series two and to see if Nick will finally change his clothes. Now the juices are flowing for the return of TWD.

England
    I want to see a season of them sailing up and down the coast raiding towns. It would definitely make the show distinguishable from the main series
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Its about time someone used my idea of using a boat in the zombie apocalypse! You could make periodic raids along the coast for supplies/gas, explore islands, and work on your tan in peace. Until "Walkers" become "Swimmers", you'd be safe enough out on the water. Heck, maybe there's some unique threat in the ocean we don't know of since we haven't seen it in The Walking Dead...

Super Moderator

UK
    Jolly good episode, that!

On one hand I was bummed to not see Daniel unleash the walkers from the stadium ... but on the other it did allow for that badass walk-by and over-the-shoulder glance as he saunters on by to reveal a ruddy herd of the buggers!

Thinking about it further though, Daniel's plan of action cost many lives. Not only the solders who were under/giving orders to ditch the civvies and jet (interesting to note that one of them mentioned there was little/nothing in the way of a true chain of command/commanding officers IIRC), but a whole bunch of civilians - sick and wounded civilians, no less. Seeing Doctor Exner sat with all those dead patients she'd had to put down was proper bleak ... her situation felt really hopeless. The actress performed it very well.

I'd like to see more military guys featured in prominent roles who aren't arseholes, though. The trio who accost Alicia and Chris as an example. Sure, they could be bastards, but they could also just be desperate ... it was a little bit edging towards the 'all men are potential rapist scum' schtick. Even Adams (the guy Ophelia was hanging out with - partly because she liked him, but probably more to try and get her mother some medicine) turned into a git ... to be fair though he had been tortured, so why should he care for these people who did/allowed it? I imagine he shot Ophelia because: 1) it would cause Daniel more harm than Adams just shooting Daniel, and 2) a sense of betrayal. Ophelia, to Adams at least, just left him to be tortured by her father.

GREAT to see Travis snap and beat that bastard down. Cliff Curtis (who I had no idea was a New Zealander!) said on Talking Dead that it was a sort of broken trust thing. He'd made a deal with Adams, and Adams broke that deal and threatened his family in the process. The world's been chipping away at Travis, so I think having him flip his lid in this finale was the ideal place for it to happen.

Sad about Liza - because they handled that scene so well (beautifully acted too!) - although it makes sense. Madison and Liza had that deal earlier on, if either of them needed to be put down the other would do it to protect Travis ... although in the end Travis stepped up on his own and did it, which makes sense, but boy ... it'll be interesting to see how it affects him in Season 2. A pretty rough ending there, but shot really well and has me stoked for Season 2!

Gore hat on, and I loved the bit where the bitten soldier ran into that rotor blade!

Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    Like Moon said, I am hooked for series two and to see if Nick will finally change his clothes. Now the juices are flowing for the return of TWD.

It's certainly one of the things I'll be keeping an eye on in Season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    I want to see a season of them sailing up and down the coast raiding towns. It would definitely make the show distinguishable from the main series
    I too am looking forward to a 'coastal' vibe to Season 2, although hopefully we won't be stuck on a boat too much ... and I don't want to lose the L.A. vibe either having really dug it in this season. It'll be interesting to see how they balance it all, particularly over 15 episodes!

Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Its about time someone used my idea of using a boat in the zombie apocalypse! You could make periodic raids along the coast for supplies/gas, explore islands, and work on your tan in peace. Until "Walkers" become "Swimmers", you'd be safe enough out on the water. Heck, maybe there's some unique threat in the ocean we don't know of since we haven't seen it in The Walking Dead...
    Showrunner Dave Erickson was talking about there being human threats on the water - basically other people who had the bright idea of getting on a boat. That'll be cool to see, but hopefully it doesn't outstay its welcome. They're confined quarters and there's only so much you can do - and there's no real chance for walkers (unless someone dies on a boat). One thing he did say was they'll have to figure out how to get to the boat itself ... so I'm assuming a little dinghy/motorboat isn't readily available (perhaps stolen?) ... could there be someone already hanging out on Abigail?

FTWD 1x06 Memes:

United States
    The bitten soldier running into the propeller was gold. I literally screamed in excited when it happened. It's good to see this show isn't straying too far away from gore as the pilot and various episodes were PG-14.

Will this group now run into pirates and various deadly marine life? Will they replicate the classic zombie vs shark scene from "Zombie" as an homage? Raiding coastal homes for supplies? Yes, please, the possibilities can be endless if done right.

Strand getting his cuff links back from that soldier as he's getting eaten alive was a guilty pleasure of mine. He's an interesting character and was actually compared to Han Solo(?) lol aside from his at times over the top dialogue I really like this chat cater. Feels fresh for The Walking Dead world.

Daniel is just awesome. Nuff said.

My man Travis finally came through in both beating Andy to a pulp and having the balls to put down Liza himself. However, how will this affect him next season? Will it make him stronger or even more broken?

Extner is a good character. We didn't see her die so there's hope she'll be around but it looks pretty bleak. The sadness that was portrayed in her scene painted the situation perfectly.

Not a perfect episode, some questionable scenes here and there, like the asshole soldiers abusing Chris just because they can should have been cut cause it didn't play into the story whatsoever.

And finally Liza. Poor Liza, I really wish we got more time with her this season. I liked her and she was believable. Her final moments were heartbreaking and wonderfully acted. The final shot panning the ocean was a perfect way to end the season.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    As we don't see Exner or Adams die on screen, I'm wondering if she changes her mind - stays alive - and finds Adams still alive, but seriously beaten. She gets him back on his feet, and Adams sets out with a vendetta ... a possibility.

The showrunner did mention that we don't see certain characters die on-screen, so it was a pretty hefty hint that at least one of them will come back into the show somehow.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    As we don't see Exner or Adams die on screen, I'm wondering if she changes her mind - stays alive - and finds Adams still alive, but seriously beaten. She gets him back on his feet, and Adams sets out with a vendetta ... a possibility.

The showrunner did mention that we don't see certain characters die on-screen, so it was a pretty hefty hint that at least one of them will come back into the show somehow.
    I was thinking more along the lines of Tobias.

United States
    I don't know. Am I the only one bothered that FTWD essentially thrown out the collapse of society? The one good story FTWD had--the one it, in fact, exists to tell--was how civilization collapsed and was overrun by the walking dead, and that's the one story the series has aggressively refused to tell this season.

Why does it exist, if not to tell that one story?
    Last edited by Doc; 05-Oct-2015 at 10:44 PM. Reason: .

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I don't know. Am I the only one bothered that FTWD essentially thrown out the collapse of society? The one good story FTWD had--the one it, in fact, exists to tell--was how civilization collapsed and was overrun by the walking dead, and that's the one story the series has aggressively refused to tell this season.

No, your not alone. Did my nut in with that 9 day jump.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Dead

United States
    Great episode, great series. My only gripe is there's not enough environment. I was hoping for something along the lines of how the opening of Dawn04 was, just better, TWD style.
    It comes off as kind of cramped. Small sets, limited environment. I wanna actually see the world falling apart, not just the characters world falling apart. It's LA-TWD style, there should've been some really grand sweeps through the crumbling city, large scale riots and looting. Even if it's just a few sequences in a few episodes, done in CG. The crumbling world and civilization has always been my favorite part of this genre.

Being Attacked

United States

I too felt somewhat cheated by this...especially because of the fact that it was promoted as "taking place from the beginning." Well they neglected to point out that there was a 9 day gap in there and "oh by the way...Los Angeles pretty much falls to the dead in that time..." I completely get that they wanted to film this from the point of view of the main characters but maybe the National Guard came in a little too fast? Maybe one good episode of hell on earth stuck in between EP 2 and 3?

I know it's just TV but I think the riot scene in EP 2 should have been more bloody and convincing of the fact that something very wrong was happening...should have been violence on the order of what might have taken place at the arena - people getting shot, multiple walkers taking down rioters in packs...instead they made it look like a block party...

And while their drive to Strand's mansion through Los Angeles at the end was epic...could Los Angeles really have fallen that COMPLETELY in just 10 days...Just seemed like everything happened too fast and we missed it...

Oh well enough of my bitching...just happy that from now it looks like we have nearly year round Walking Dead

United States
    I was thrilled with the opening shots of L.A. turning gray from the dead. The fires burning consuming the city. Creepy stuff. That set the stage for this episode and I was absolutely pleased.

Minion hit most of the points I came to discuss. But I echo his concern about having some sane, technically sound and non rapist soldiers in one of the series. Not sure why every show has to follow Dawn/Day by pigeon holing the soldiers as rape mongoring buffoons. Many soldiers in the U.S. are battle tested and arent going to go neanderthal because of stress. Granted its appearing to be the apocalypse which is a different scale than the combat they are used to. This has always bothered me and I just need one damn soldier that breaks the zombie theme mold. Rant over.

The boat idea is great. Or is it? It sure is a safe haven from the walkers. But a fancy ship like that will appeal to many folk. If they are smart, they will always keep land in sight(going out to see with an inexperienced crew is bad idea), go completely dark at night. And at least one person has to be on deck and awake at all times. As mentioned above the ability to loot and raid is great tv. I cant wait for next season.

United States

I talked about this in the previous episode's thread. They built up episode 1-3 nicely and just as it was about to go down they skip over everything the show was promising to tell. When they came back it was 9 days later and society had already crumbled. Dissapointing.

Anyway, the season ended on a high note so I'm happy. As good as it was though, it could have been even better.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 06-Oct-2015 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Typo