Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TWD 6x01 "First Time Again" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Ireland
    It looks like an editing decision tough. I'd say it was shot in relative sequence, but due to time constraints, a decision was made to do the back'n'forth/black'n'white malarkey. That episode looked like there was enough material for a true 90 minute + episode and felt like their was some serious, heavy duty, cutting going on. It's probably more to do with me. When films and TV shows start doing that crap, I start looking for the cracks.

It's the only niggle I have with opener, although I think Andrew Lincoln needs to tone it down a little bit. Nobody can argue with the amount of zombie goodness going on and Morgan's back...yaaay.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    Another one here who didn't like the time hop / colour change thing. I can see why they did it, but I sent the first ten minutes trying to work out if my TV was broken/Fox had a fault/or if I had missed an episode.
    Exactly! I thought the very same thing - Thought my TV was messed up -- Especially considering that some of those scenes were shown in the previews in color!

Super Moderator

UK
    Well the trailer showed them in colour as they were filmed that way, and it wouldn't make sense to do the B/W thing within the comic-con trailer. The reason for it wouldn't make sense until seeing the premiere - and perhaps at that stage they hadn't decided what they were going to do. Nicotero said they'd thought of other options for differentiating the past/present, until finally opting for B/W.

There is a moment in the initial shot (before it goes to black and Rick starts talking) where the colour bleeds out of the shot and it turns black and white. Perhaps if we'd been able to linger just a few seconds longer on that colour shot (to then really see the colour bleed out of it) then it might not have tripped up some folks.

As for the theory of a late in the game editing decision to cut the episode in the back/forth style ... I'm not convinced. It's possible to make a big change like that in the editing room, but we've heard no rumours about any such decision being made have we? Any talk of reconfiguring the premiere? I'd be surprised if that was the case. Nor did it feel like there were bits cut out of it - major bits anyway. There could be some stuff, but it felt okay to me.

As for Carl - we did get a single shot with him in it - he climbs a tower to hang out with his new lady friend (as some other kid looks on from below - I figured a love triangle sorta thing was going to come into play here between Carl and Edith, going on a shot or two from the Comic Con trailer). There's a huge amount of characters to work with, so it's amazing Gimple & Co handled it quite well. Sure, some of them get very little to do - but it's gonna happen. I doubt we'll get short-changed with big hitters like Maggie, but it will be a considerable juggling act ... however, with a herd like that heading for Alexandria, I reckon they're gonna have to die a shedload more graves pretty soon. I think the expanded cast is gonna shrink.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    As for the theory of a late in the game editing decision to cut the episode in the back/forth style ... I'm not convinced. It's possible to make a big change like that in the editing room, but we've heard no rumours about any such decision being made have we? Any talk of reconfiguring the premiere? I'd be surprised if that was the case. Nor did it feel like there were bits cut out of it - major bits anyway. There could be some stuff, but it felt okay to me.
    I don't mean it was a decision taken late in the day. I meant that the decision was taken to edit the episode in such a way, because they probably had way too much footage for their allotted time, to run it linearly, or relatively linearly. The actual decision could have been taken long before the editing room got in on the game.

Either way, it feels awkward.

United States
    I don't get it, I knew immediately what was going on and what the black and white scenes represented. Didn't bother me at all. In fact, it was pretty clever imo and also seconded as a cool homage to the source material. Now, if they continue this for the rest of the season then I'll have a problem with it. As a stand alone premier, I think they pulled it off beautifully.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Rising

United States
    Had it not been for the walkers sneaking through (and then the ruddy truck crumbling off the cliff) then yeah, some kind of huge fire or something could have been an option. Then again, the walkers might not be the most flammable ... but if they'd had time they could have somehow masterminded a giant zombie bonfire and melted all the sods together into one giant mass, muahahahaaaaa. Mind you, that'd create a massive smoke cloud and potentially attract more walkers or nefarious sorts.
    I was thinking the same. If the zombies are not dried up and flammable enough, then use gallons and gallons of any flammable liquid you can find other than gasoline (too useful and increasingly scarce to waste on killing zombies.) I am sure that there would be many hardware stores around that would have plenty of gallons of paint thinners, turpentine, lighter fluid, paint/varnish removers and stuff like that. Unlike kerosene, which has other uses, including fuel for some types of generators, these flammable liquids have no other common use other than what they are sold for, so most survivors would not be very interested in looting things like paint thinners, there would be plenty of the stuff around. Once you have poured gallons of the stuff down the quarry, toss a couple of lit molotov cocktails down there and watch the huge zombie pyre. It sure as heck would be less risky than trying to "herd" such a horde.

Administrator

England
    I must say everytime I was watching Sasha and Abraham in the car, slowly driving along just 10ft in front of 2000 zombies, I was waiting for their car to stall/break down! If it had, they'd have been buried in zombies in 5 seconds! Seemed a bit of an accident waiting to happen!

I must admit I didn't quite understand why our heroes had to risk themselves running along through the woods next to the horde? Indeed, now a good lump of the horde are heading in a long wide offensive line from the road towards Alexandria, if the road is quite close, our friends might find themselves swamped (out-flanked) if they can't get around its fences quickly...

And has no one asked yet who is sounding the horn? Gabriel (the priest)? The son?

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Once you have poured gallons of the stuff down the quarry, toss a couple of lit molotov cocktails down there and watch the huge zombie pyre. It sure as heck would be less risky than trying to "herd" such a horde.
    Yeh, I was wondering the same thing... But I guess that wouldn't be so interesting to watch
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I don't get it, I knew immediately what was going on and what the black and white scenes represented. Didn't bother me at all. In fact, it was pretty clever imo and also seconded as a cool homage to the source material. Now, if they continue this for the rest of the season then I'll have a problem with it. As a stand alone premier, I think they pulled it off beautifully.
    Ah! A like-minded fellow! Agreed across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I was thinking the same. If the zombies are not dried up and flammable enough, then use gallons and gallons of any flammable liquid you can find other than gasoline (too useful and increasingly scarce to waste on killing zombies.) I am sure that there would be many hardware stores around that would have plenty of gallons of paint thinners, turpentine, lighter fluid, paint/varnish removers and stuff like that. Unlike kerosene, which has other uses, including fuel for some types of generators, these flammable liquids have no other common use other than what they are sold for, so most survivors would not be very interested in looting things like paint thinners, there would be plenty of the stuff around. Once you have poured gallons of the stuff down the quarry, toss a couple of lit molotov cocktails down there and watch the huge zombie pyre. It sure as heck would be less risky than trying to "herd" such a horde.
    I think in that scenario you'd have to soak 'em and light 'em up as quickly as possible - otherwise the fluid would soak into the ground and not work as well (or at all?). So, I definitely like the idea of turps etc - but you could see about pinching a Fire Truck and pour all the flammable junk into the tank and hose the walkers down, and then set them on fire as they're still dripping wet.

In an ideal apocalypse you could do something like that, but as Rick thought correctly - the quarry was weak with rain, so that truck perched on the edge was going to come down sooner or later. However, if that part of the quarry had been reinforced before the apocalypse then they would have had the time. Particularly if they backed up another vehicle to block off the tiny gaps between the truck trailers that were letting out a few stragglers.

To be sure, it wouldn't be without risks, but if the area had been more secure it's something they could have done. Unfortunately time, nor quarry stability, wasn't on their side.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I must admit I didn't quite understand why our heroes had to risk themselves running along through the woods next to the horde? Indeed, now a good lump of the horde are heading in a long wide offensive line from the road towards Alexandria, if the road is quite close, our friends might find themselves swamped (out-flanked) if they can't get around its fences quickly...
    Because they couldn't make any sound. The walker herd had to be unified behind one sound and moving image - the car and the bike - any anything else caused a distraction (e.g. the silver foil wrap thingy stuck in the tree that Abraham snatched away to stop that splinter group). Hidden within the tree line they could observe what was going on up close and relatively safe (shock horns not permitting). They had a good view, but also coverage (see how dense the leaves seemed from the road, as compared to being within the woods). They couldn't use vehicles as they'd make sound and it'd be a distraction (just like at that tractor shop).

Administrator

England
    Ah! A like-minded fellow! Agreed across the board.

I think in that scenario you'd have to soak 'em and light 'em up as quickly as possible - otherwise the fluid would soak into the ground and not work as well (or at all?). So, I definitely like the idea of turps etc - but you could see about pinching a Fire Truck and pour all the flammable junk into the tank and hose the walkers down, and then set them on fire as they're still dripping wet.

In an ideal apocalypse you could do something like that, but as Rick thought correctly - the quarry was weak with rain, so that truck perched on the edge was going to come down sooner or later. However, if that part of the quarry had been reinforced before the apocalypse then they would have had the time. Particularly if they backed up another vehicle to block off the tiny gaps between the truck trailers that were letting out a few stragglers.

To be sure, it wouldn't be without risks, but if the area had been more secure it's something they could have done. Unfortunately time, nor quarry stability, wasn't on their side.

Because they couldn't make any sound. The walker herd had to be unified behind one sound and moving image - the car and the bike - any anything else caused a distraction (e.g. the silver foil wrap thingy stuck in the tree that Abraham snatched away to stop that splinter group). Hidden within the tree line they could observe what was going on up close and relatively safe (shock horns not permitting). They had a good view, but also coverage (see how dense the leaves seemed from the road, as compared to being within the woods). They couldn't use vehicles as they'd make sound and it'd be a distraction (just like at that tractor shop).
    No, I just mean why run along through the woods risking the very thing that happened in the end... one of them getting attacked. I guess Abraham at the front dealing with some being attracted by the foil is a good example, but how would our heros back along the horde have dealt with exactly the same scenario? They couldn't have... They'd risk attracting even more away?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I must say everytime I was watching Sasha and Abraham in the car, slowly driving along just 10ft in front of 2000 zombies, I was waiting for their car to stall/break down! If it had, they'd have been buried in zombies in 5 seconds! Seemed a bit of an accident waiting to happen!
    Well, considering TWD's penchant for vehicular accidents, I wouldn't have been the slightest bit surprised if Sasha went careering off into a tree or something.

United States
    Eh, this was ok. Walking Dead openings are usually some of the best, but this one was a letdown compared to Gimple's interesting "30 Days without an Accident" and tense "No Sanctuary". It had some of the usual Walking Dead melodrama that was crap (that stuff with Pete's son) and some questionable choices (why not just bury Pete a few feet from the gate and not risk traveling far?).

I still liked it better than that awful Season Two opening.

Administrator

England
    Come on then? Who's behind that horn?
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Come on then? Who's behind that horn?
    My guess? The wolves attack Alexandria and a driver gets shot in the head forcing his slumped head to press the vehicle's horn uncontrollably. I just don't see a group member doing that.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, who's to say it's even the Wolves to begin with? That's the obvious choice and I have a feeling it's gonna be a bit more complex than that.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    Yeh, it would be a bit obvious if it was Father Wobbly or the son of the guy Rick killed.

UK
    It’s got to be the Wolves hasn’t it but it could be Erin. I doubt Ron would risk doing something so reckless when his mum and brother are inside and Gabriel admitted he was wrong so it wouldn’t make sense him doing it either.

If they are going down the wildcard rout maybe Carol is giving Alexandria the ultimate test of metal!!