Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night of the Living Dead workprint - New footage

Zombie Flesh Eater

England

Night of the Living Dead workprint - New footage

An unseen nine minute basement scene from Night of the Living Dead has been discovered while "gathering elements" for a new restoration. Pretty much the most important discovery in the entire horror genre, as far as I'm concerned.

Link: http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum....0#.ViAHrX6rTIU

The George A. Romero Fan Assembly @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/geor...rofanassembly/

United States

This is most unexpected, & ultra cool.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    An unseen nine minute basement scene from Night of the Living Dead has been discovered while "gathering elements" for a new restoration. Pretty much the most important discovery in the entire horror genre, as far as I'm concerned.

Wow! I guess the main question is, why was it left out in the first place... and does it therefore belong in the film now?

None-the-less, would love to see the footage!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

England
    There has been no fanfare and the Night peeps are keeping very tight lipped on the subject. To me, that indicates a release announcement is coming... at least once all the signatures are on a dotted line. I quite liked the suggestion in the link about having a scene branching option on the DVD.

The George A. Romero Fan Assembly @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/geor...rofanassembly/

Super Moderator

UK
    **BABBLES INCOHERENTLY**

EFF YES!!!

Aye, a branching option would be perfect so viewers can choose. I'd love to see this footage - and a new, crisp, HD restoration of the flick. A new definitive release is surely inbound (cool that Scorsese is working on it, too!) ... and another I wonder about, with new footage added into the movie from the original shooting of the film, might that somehow help them re-establish Copyright over the film?

Zombie Flesh Eater

England
    Yep, Nick. As this is a new version of the film, the filmmakers can finally start clawing back some buckage.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    C'mon beautifully remastered Blu Ray! Night is the only one I'm needing on the format. I knew there was a reason I'd held out this long...

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Wow! I guess the main question is, why was it left out in the first place... and does it therefore belong in the film now?

I think in the 2005 "Special Collector's Edition" DVD extras George & Co. said that the awkward cut in the cellar was made at the request of a distributor, but when they came to restore it, the footage couldn't be found.

This is really great news! Hope we don't have to wait for 2017 to see it though...

Super Moderator

UK
    Yep, Nick. As this is a new version of the film, the filmmakers can finally start clawing back some buckage.
    That'd be good for them, albeit decades later than it should have been (and imagine what they've lost as a result of that slip up over those years!) - rather looking forward to an announcement! I think you'll be able to consider me a Blu-Ray pre-order.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

I am very cool on this, especially since the last time I got really invested in news like this, it was with the rerelease of The Exorcist in 2000. Honestly, the spiderwalk sequence should never have been put back in, it mocked the death of Burke rather than augment it, and other snips added nothing to the movie as a whole. However, I also love being proven wrong in my cynicism. Bring it on.
    Last edited by wayzim; 16-Oct-2015 at 10:22 PM. Reason: B'cuz

United States

Huge news, thank you.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Huge news, thank you.
    At the very least if it's just an extra on a bluray it will be great!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Wow, this is great news!

Maybe now we'll finally get the answers to all those classic zombie debates we have around this place - Do zombies eat animals?! What is an acceptable 'hobble' speed?! Why did Rhodes leave gate open?! Nine glorious minutes of lost footage will explain everything for sure - we're off to the promised land!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Wow, this is great news!

Maybe now we'll finally get the answers to all those classic zombie debates we have around this place - Do zombies eat animals?! What is an acceptable 'hobble' speed?! Why did Rhodes leave gate open?! Nine glorious minutes of lost footage will explain everything for sure - we're off to the promised land!

And the hot button issue of money being used to create a local economy in the post zombie apocalypse world!

I'm having flashbacks of that 'money in Land' thread ... ooh err.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 05-Feb-2016 at 09:26 AM.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Wow, this is great news!

But there's more, so much more that remains unanswered. Like for example:

In Dawn Peter says he has seen many people get bitten and it takes them about three days to kick the bucket and come back as zombies (and we see that Roger fulfills Peter's prediction very well, as he lasts about a couple of days or so before he dies and comes back as a zombie), yet in Land bitten people die in a matter of an hour or so and therefore there's a rush to dispose of them lest they suddenly become a threat.

Why in blazes didn't Dr. Logan become a zombie??? He was not shot in the head and there's plenty of time for him to have turned into one (Dr. Grimes in Night clearly says that it only takes "a matter of minutes" for a dead person to come back as a zombie.)

How come Rickles is smart enough to head towards the corral area to try to escape the zombie invasion of the bunker, yet when he arrives there he turns into a total idiot and starts running in circles so that the slowly approaching zombies have a chance to catch him, instead of making his way to the corral caves and head for the silo just like the escaping civilians were doing?

How can Flyboy's bullets ricochet so many damn times??? Super-energetic 1970s bullets?

What exactly were the bikers tossing grenades at during their initial assault of the shopping mall? They sure were not aiming them at the zombies but at something made of metal (we can hear pieces of metal falling down on the pavement after the grenades explode), but what? The only things we see blocking the exits/entrances are the trucks. They surely did not expect that a couple of grenades were going to remove a friggin' truck!

How can the biker with the poncho be in two places at the same time??? 1970s human cloning???

Why is one of the cops in Dawn laughing his ass off when a horde of zombies has just busted loose on him and his fellow officers??? (this scene can only be seen in the director's cut of the film.)

There's a bunch of contradictions and unanswered puzzles in Romero's zombie series that are in desperate need of being addressed. As Ricky Ricardo would say: "Romero, you have some explaining to doooo!"
    Last edited by JDP; 05-Feb-2016 at 10:40 AM. Reason: color