Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: TWD 6x03 "Thank You" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post

Quite difficult, seeing as all of them were torn to shreds by the zombies. The most we could see would maybe be their zombified heads. But how could they find their way out of the bunker, though?

Bub is perfectly possible since he was a zombie, so no one tore him to pieces. Also, since he seems smarter than the average zombie it is also possible that he somehow found a way out of the bunker.
    Well to be honest they had homages to Stephen (flyboy Zombie), Airport Zombie and Lennie Lies Machete Zombie who all died anyway in Dawn so you have to use some suspension of belief - after all it's a just a salute to something from the past not a character that is realistically inserted into the story line...In your line of thinking how would Bub find his way off Sanibel Island and make his way all the way to Georgia to begin with - just saying
    Last edited by slayerized; 30-Oct-2015 at 06:40 PM. Reason: typo

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerized View Post
    Well to be honest they had homages to Stephen (flyboy Zombie), Airport Zombie and Lennie Lies Machete Zombie who all died anyway in Dawn so you have to use some suspension of belief - after all it's a just a salute to something from the past not a character that is realistically inserted into the story line...In your line of thinking how would Bub find his way off Sanibel Island and make his way all the way to Georgia to begin with - just saying
    Not to mention Bub already made an appearance on TWD! 4X15 "Us".
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerized View Post
    None of those characters was torn to pieces, though, so it is more conceivable that they could be roaming around. But how are the zombified heads of Rickles and Steel going to be "roaming around"??? Unless they are being carried by another zombie.

Fisher says he saw a zombie trying to drive a car down a street. Since Bub is smarter than the average zombie, he might have driven all the way to Georgia

United States
    None of those characters was torn to pieces, though, so it is more conceivable that they could be roaming around. But how are the zombified heads of Rickles and Steel going to be "roaming around"??? Unless they are being carried by another zombie.

Fisher says he saw a zombie trying to drive a car down a street. Since Bub is smarter than the average zombie, he might have driven all the way to Georgia
    I think you are missing the point. The throwback zombies are homages that Nicotero gives us fans that have been with him and Romero since the beginning. The casual TWD fan will never pick up on them but we do. That's why they are special. We're are not asking for realism here.

Fisher hadn't seen "one of these things" driving a car. He said "if" as in if Logan's plan to socialize eventually worked. Just having here. Many of us would love to see a walker in full OD fatigues will "Rickles" or "Rhodes". Not because the zombies walked from Florida. In fact Rickles would be preferred for me since the actor died. A nice way to pay respect.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I think you are missing the point. The throwback zombies are homages that Nicotero gives us fans that have been with him and Romero since the beginning. The casual TWD fan will never pick up on them but we do. That's why they are special. We're are not asking for realism here.

Fisher hadn't seen "one of these things" driving a car. He said "if" as in if Logan's plan to socialize eventually worked. Just having here. Many of us would love to see a walker in full OD fatigues will "Rickles" or "Rhodes". Not because the zombies walked from Florida. In fact Rickles would be preferred for me since the actor died. A nice way to pay respect.
    I know what the point is, but so far all the tribute zombies have been more or less conceivable to be around. It is meant to be a "serious" show after all. But characters who have been torn apart do not lend themselves very well for these tributes. I can accept Bub or Flyboy walking around because they were not physically destroyed in the original movies they appeared in. But seeing Rickles or Steel as full-bodied zombies walking around would be too hard to digest (pun fully intended.) The casual viewer who is not into zombie movies won't notice and to him it will be just another zombie, but the zombie movie fan will know that it is not possible for them to be walking around as if nothing had happened to their corpses.

Fisher says this: "I once saw one of those things sitting behind the wheel of a car in D.C. trying to drive down Independence Avenue." So he did he see one of them trying to drive a car. He is not speaking hypothetically here. He is saying that zombies trying to carry out human activities does not make him want to be their friend, so in his opinion Logan is wasting his time trying to make Bub more human-like.
    Last edited by JDP; 31-Oct-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: typo

Ireland
    Would you prefer to have to deal with the entire full front of the zombie horde coming at you all at once, as it happened to Nicholas and Glenn by staying on ground level, or would you prefer to deal with a few of them at a time, as it would happen on the stairs?
    I would prefer to get away and hopping on the bin and over the fence IS the better option for that. It's only when they get to the fence and see that that there are zombies on teh other side, that it's nature becomes obvious. By that time option b is also effectively gone.

The point, which you seem to be missing, is that over the fence is option A and moving the debris, going up the stairs and hoping that the door at the isn't locked is a poor option B. In the time there is to make a choice, option A looks to be the better one.

In the space of less than 20 seconds, Glenn and Nicholas run into the alleyway, run toward the fence, try the ground door, see the zombies behind the fence and turn to see the zombies have caught up and cornered them.

I think the choice is obvious.
    Yes, over the fence is the obvious choice as a getaway.

Also keep in mind the zombie low IQ.
    Nobody knows how they're going to react especially in a huge group like that. That's what makes zombies such a dangerous and great movie monster. One thing is for sure though. They are unrelenting and do not tire or stop and with that in mind I wouldn't be on for putting myself in the middle of them and hoping I could kill a couple of hundred with my limited ammo and knife.

People could rather easily squeeze through a blockade made out of a mattress, some barrels and pallets. Just moving the mattress a bit to the side they could have squeezed their way to the stairs.
    But that HAS to be decided as option A and you'd want to be fucking mad to do that, when there's a scalable fence less than 50 metres away. Nobody would ignore that getaway and decide to place themselves in the of a hundred creatures that want to rip you to shreds.

The scenario you're trying to outline simply doesn't exist.

Michonne's group did not have the stairs option, they had to go over the fence, there was no other choice.
    There was any other choice for Glenn and Nicholas either. By the time they see that there are zeds on the other side of the fence too, the zombies have passed the stairs.

That jumping on the dumpster was not their original idea can be plainly seen by the fact that Glenn and Nicholas go straight for the fence first and totally ignore the dumpster.
    Their "plan" is getting away from the zombies. When they run into the ally, Nicholas tries the fence to his left. Glenn runs to the end of the alley and tires the blue door. It's locked. He then looks through the fence and sees the zeds and looks behind to see the blocked stairs. Meanwhile Nick has caught up and immediately tries to scale the fence and gets put off by the zombies on the other side.

In the couple of seconds that that happened in, the zombies have actually passed the stairs.

That whole scene from entering the alley to the zombies passing the staircase is 20 seconds.

Again, I'll say this (and it's last from me on it because our twain isn't going to meet on this)...Glenn and Nick are terrified, exhausted, and looking for a way to put distance between them and the things that want to rip them to pieces. They also don't have the time, or POV that the viewers have had to mull over and discuss every single possibility...and lastly, if they HAD simply scaled the fence and got away, not one single person would be even talking about the stairs and anything but a blocked passage.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    I know what the point is, but so far all the tribute zombies have been more or less conceivable to be around. It is meant to be a "serious" show after all. But characters who have been torn apart do not lend themselves very well for these tributes. I can accept Bub or Flyboy walking around because they were not physically destroyed in the original movies they appeared in. But seeing Rickles or Steel as full-bodied zombies walking around would be too hard to digest (pun fully intended.) The casual viewer who is not into zombie movies won't notice and to him it will be just another zombie, but the zombie movie fan will know that it is not possible for them to be walking around as if nothing had happened to their corpses.

Fisher says this: "I once saw one of those things sitting behind the wheel of a car in D.C. trying to drive down Independence Avenue." So he did he see one of them trying to drive a car. He is not speaking hypothetically here. He is saying that zombies trying to carry out human activities does not make him want to be their friend, so in his opinion Logan is wasting his time trying to make Bub more human-like.
    Just going to be disagreement. I'm sure Nicotero is not putting those easter eggs in this show for the casual viewer. I think the zombie fans rather enjoy and express excitement as evidenced on this page in the past seasons. The excitement never led to plausibility discussions of Bub or Stephen walking from PA to FL. We even had the airport zombie from dawn appear at Woodbury, who as we know took one of Rogers M-16 bullets to the brain.

Regarding Fisher. I'll be GD'd. I thought the guy actually said "If" all these years. I always considered that the operation was rushed and put together in a matter of days meant scientist Fisher didnt have time to stroll down Independence Ave. No doubt I misheard Fisher but I understood his point regarding Logan. Now I'm pissed about what other things I misheard in other movies. Old age is my excuse now but not in 85. Heck I thought the song "Cruel Summer" in Karate Kid was "Crusanda", so it goes without saying my hearing sucks in general.

Super Moderator

UK
    The zombie references added in for the fans aren't literally the same zombies from GAR's films - i.e. it's not literally Bub from Day of the Dead, who's somehow escaped the mine and walked all the way to Georgia, it's just a reference to make fans like us, who are also in-the-know, smile.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The zombie references added in for the fans aren't literally the same zombies from GAR's films - i.e. it's not literally Bub from Day of the Dead, who's somehow escaped the mine and walked all the way to Georgia, it's just a reference to make fans like us, who are also in-the-know, smile.
    You mean the crate from 'Creepshow' that was glimpsed at Terminus in 5x01 (23mins 23secs in) wasn't the actual crate with the monster?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbomb View Post
    You mean the crate from 'Creepshow' that was glimpsed at Terminus in 5x01 (23mins 23secs in) wasn't the actual crate with the monster?
    You just ruined my life!!!!

Rising

United States
    Just going to be disagreement. I'm sure Nicotero is not putting those easter eggs in this show for the casual viewer. I think the zombie fans rather enjoy and express excitement as evidenced on this page in the past seasons. The excitement never led to plausibility discussions of Bub or Stephen walking from PA to FL. We even had the airport zombie from dawn appear at Woodbury, who as we know took one of Rogers M-16 bullets to the brain.

Regarding Fisher. I'll be GD'd. I thought the guy actually said "If" all these years. I always considered that the operation was rushed and put together in a matter of days meant scientist Fisher didnt have time to stroll down Independence Ave. No doubt I misheard Fisher but I understood his point regarding Logan. Now I'm pissed about what other things I misheard in other movies. Old age is my excuse now but not in 85. Heck I thought the song "Cruel Summer" in Karate Kid was "Crusanda", so it goes without saying my hearing sucks in general.
    Consider it this way: all the tribute zombies shown so far are of ones that we have actually seen in zombie movies. So a Rickles or Steel zombie would not make sense since they never turned (assume here that Steel did not completely damage his brain when he shot himself and he could have come back as a zombie, just for argument's sake), at least not in one piece. There never was any "Rickles zombie" or "Steel zombie". They were torn apart by the mob of zombies that invaded the bunker, so we never get to see them come back. Bub (whoever he was before he became a zombie) and Stephen could turn into zombies because their corpses were left in good enough shape to turn. So they appeared as zombies in those movies. They can be "tributed" because they actually became zombies.

Do you know which character from that movie should be shown as a zombie in The Walking Dead? Dr. Logan. That guy should be a zombie. In fact, if Nicotero shows a Logan-zombie at long last he would be correcting the strange contradiction that he did not turn into a zombie in Day of the Dead, when he should actually have turned.

You might want to use the fact that you misheard what Fisher said as a pretext to re-watch the movie

All of the scientists and soldiers in the movie obviously had personal lives before the zombie disaster, so we can very likely expect them to have come from several parts of the country. When the zombie disaster happened, Fisher must have been in D.C. We can easily assume that he was sent elsewhere to investigate the zombie phenomenon in that bunker with the other people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I would prefer to get away and hopping on the bin and over the fence IS the better option for that. It's only when they get to the fence and see that that there are zombies on teh other side, that it's nature becomes obvious. By that time option b is also effectively gone.
    The zombies on the other side should not have prevented them from climbing the fence. They could go for the roof of the nearby blue building from the fence, instead of going to the other side of the street. But they did not. Going to the top of a fence with barbed wire is not easy, that's why they put it there.

The point, which you seem to be missing, is that over the fence is option A and moving the debris, going up the stairs and hoping that the door at the isn't locked is a poor option B. In the time there is to make a choice, option A looks to be the better one.

In the space of less than 20 seconds, Glenn and Nicholas run into the alleyway, run toward the fence, try the ground door, see the zombies behind the fence and turn to see the zombies have caught up and cornered them.
    What we are shown in 20 seconds is just editing. Look at the distance the zombies are at from the stairs when it finally dawns on Glenn that the end of the alley is pretty much a dead-end. Nicholas has not arrived yet at the end of the alley and is still looking for exits. He has the stairway right there to his left, yet he goes for the same dead-end as Glenn. Glenn should have told Nicholas right there "Head for the staircase!" instead of letting him try to climb the fence that he knew would be too difficult to climb.

Yes, over the fence is the obvious choice as a getaway.
    If it didn't have barbed wire on top, maybe.

Nobody knows how they're going to react especially in a huge group like that. That's what makes zombies such a dangerous and great movie monster. One thing is for sure though. They are unrelenting and do not tire or stop and with that in mind I wouldn't be on for putting myself in the middle of them and hoping I could kill a couple of hundred with my limited ammo and knife.
    From all that we have seen so far, we can predict that they are stumped by rather clumsy barriers that would never have stopped a living person.

But that HAS to be decided as option A and you'd want to be fucking mad to do that, when there's a scalable fence less than 50 metres away. Nobody would ignore that getaway and decide to place themselves in the of a hundred creatures that want to rip you to shreds.

The scenario you're trying to outline simply doesn't exist.
    The scenario I am outlining exists and is the easiest one of the two: Moving a mattress a bit to the side and squeezing through some pallets & barrels to get to the stairs vs. Climbing on top of a fence with barbed wired.

There was any other choice for Glenn and Nicholas either. By the time they see that there are zeds on the other side of the fence too, the zombies have passed the stairs.
    Not only did they have another choice, but in fact they had two: there's actually two buildings with stairs in that alley.

Their "plan" is getting away from the zombies. When they run into the ally, Nicholas tries the fence to his left. Glenn runs to the end of the alley and tires the blue door. It's locked. He then looks through the fence and sees the zeds and looks behind to see the blocked stairs. Meanwhile Nick has caught up and immediately tries to scale the fence and gets put off by the zombies on the other side.
    The zombies are on the other side of the fence. The only thing that that would have prevented them from doing is climbing down to the other side of the fence. But they could still have tried to climb it. Nicholas tried, but he fell down. It is not as easy as it looks. It is far more difficult to climb a fence than walking up stairs. And on top of that there's the barbed wire on top that needs to be dealt with. The zombies would have reached the fence by then and would have started shaking it as they try to reach up to get you. This scenario has loads of problems. An experienced fellow like Glenn should have had all of this in mind before allowing himself to be cornered in that alley.

In the couple of seconds that that happened in, the zombies have actually passed the stairs.

That whole scene from entering the alley to the zombies passing the staircase is 20 seconds.

Again, I'll say this (and it's last from me on it because our twain isn't going to meet on this)...Glenn and Nick are terrified, exhausted, and looking for a way to put distance between them and the things that want to rip them to pieces. They also don't have the time, or POV that the viewers have had to mull over and discuss every single possibility...and lastly, if they HAD simply scaled the fence and got away, not one single person would be even talking about the stairs and anything but a blocked passage.
    But the script did have them fail to climb the fence, so we can talk about it. Was trying to climb a barbed wire fence the best choice? No. Was there another choice that might have been easier? Yes. If the barrier at the bottom of the stairs also had barbed wire around it, then you could argue that it would also be too difficult to overcome it in enough time before the zombies arrive, but as it was, that barrier was not very difficult for a human to get through.
    Last edited by JDP; 01-Nov-2015 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo

United States
    Consider it this way: all the tribute zombies shown so far are of ones that we have actually seen in zombie movies. So a Rickles or Steel zombie would not make sense since they never turned (assume here that Steel did not completely damage his brain when he shot himself and he could have come back as a zombie, just for argument's sake), at least not in one piece. There never was any "Rickles zombie" or "Steel zombie". They were torn apart by the mob of zombies that invaded the bunker, so we never get to see them come back. Bub (whoever he was before he became a zombie) and Stephen could turn into zombies because their corpses were left in good enough shape to turn. So they appeared as zombies in those movies. They can be "tributed" because they actually became zombies.

Do you know which character from that movie should be shown as a zombie in The Walking Dead? Dr. Logan. That guy should be a zombie. In fact, if Nicotero shows a Logan-zombie at long last he would be correcting the strange contradiction that he did not turn into a zombie in Day of the Dead, when he should actually have turned.
    Flyboy and airport zombie were both shot in the brain and I enjoyed their homeage in TWD. Since both are effectively destroyed, their appearance is just as impossible as Steele and Rickles would be. But that's taking it too serious and this isn't meant to be. I don't think anyone here is asking for realism. Lifelong genre fans enjoy the tribute.

Yes Logan would be great. Or even have TWD characters walk past a downed helicopter with same paint scheme as flyboys. Maybe throw in a black SWAT cop zombified inside.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They're definitely not meant to be THE zombie characters. They're all just little references for the fans to spot. If they were treating them as the "real characters" from the previous films, that would mean TWD exists in the same world as Jaws and American Werewolf in London. Just wouldn't make sense...

Tibet
    The other part of the staircase decision is this: they don't know what's behind the door. By the time Glenn starts trying the door on ground level, he's already seen the walkers on the other side of the fence, and the ones coming down the alley are too close for them to get back to the stairs.

United States
    Flyboy and airport zombie were both shot in the brain and I enjoyed their homeage in TWD. Since both are effectively destroyed, their appearance is just as impossible as Steele and Rickles would be. But that's taking it too serious and this isn't meant to be. I don't think anyone here is asking for realism. Lifelong genre fans enjoy the tribute.

Yes Logan would be great. Or even have TWD characters walk past a downed helicopter with same paint scheme as flyboys. Maybe throw in a black SWAT cop zombified inside.
    I loved how in the "DAWN" remake they actually had Flyboy's copter fly past the horror during the opening sequence.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."