Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TWD 6x05 "Now" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Ireland
    Just amazing makeup.

I'm constantly impressed by it.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Well, if the red shirts were handled like Carol or whoever else, then they wouldn't be red shirts - they'd be main characters.

Seriously though, the fact we're calling them "red shirts" goes to show that such a treatment of background/one episode only characters isn't anything new. Any time you give them is all time taken away from the people you've been following for far longer. I think the handling of the red shirts in 6x03 was some of the best in the show - David in particular. He had a backstory, he interacted directly with a main cast member in a way that also related to their story, they ran a gamut of emotions, and their death had an impact a couple of episodes later with Betsy (his wife) slitting her wrists.

I'd imagine there's also a production/financial element involved too, e.g. background extras vs a bit player ... then you've got someone who does a single episode, but if you're in more than two then you're a "recurring character", so there's probably some extra cash and such for that. Ultimately, if you're going to kill them off - someone of little real story or character importance to your main cast (which, in TWD, is very large) - then do you really want to splash that extra cash (that could pay for a more awesome walker kill, or additional zombie extras, etc)?

Game of Thrones ... hmmm ... there's plenty of nameless characters getting their throats slit or flashing their bits n pieces dotted around, sometimes saying a line or two ... all shows have bit players, background characters, red shirts etc.

I do agree that there are ways to work in a little bit more stuff to flesh them out a bit - I refer back to David in 6x03 - which, like in David's case, gives more of an illusion that they are the lead character in their own story. However, the real 'support work' has to be focused on the supporting characters rather than those who are just there for an episode, or even a scene. On the other hand we get some amazingly detailed walkers that are only glimpsed.

True, but not all people fight like wild cats ... you rarely/never see on YouTube all the countless 'fights' that are embarrassingly brief/inept etc. I agree that in this show it should have been a bit beefier (but only just a bit), but at the same time neither of them are Van Damme or whoever you like. Remember all those duff fights you saw when you were at school - there'd be a load of build up, a bunch of circling about, then a few piss-poor punches with bugger all aim or skill, and then a teacher would come along and break things up and everyone's all "we stayed after school for this shit?"

Just having a skim through Nicotero's Instagram and this is a nifty look at the sludge walker that Maggie gets her arms stuck inside: https://instagram.com/p/92SFSSoNFW/?taken-by=gnicotero
    David was an awesome example of a minor background character done right. Go and watch "Made to Suffer" and "The Suicide King" and watch the background Woodbury residents and see just how terribly acted they are lol that's what I'm getting at.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Just amazing makeup.

I'm constantly impressed by it.
    Yeah, dude, it's amazing.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    David was an awesome example of a minor background character done right. Go and watch "Made to Suffer" and "The Suicide King" and watch the background Woodbury residents and see just how terribly acted they are lol that's what I'm getting at.
    To be fair that was Season 3. I agree though, in the past there have been some rubbish background characters. It's been far better since then ... a random one that pops into my head, albeit without a name attached to it, was when Tyreese and Carol team-up in Season 4B, and he comes across a father and teenage son getting munched by walkers. We find out through Carol, and the guy himself, that he and his son were heading to Terminus and hooked up with Carol, and of course we saw what became of him before we saw him alive, which was a groovy bit of time-play (I quite enjoy Gimple's manipulation of time from Season 4 onwards as it keeps things unpredictable and you can get some pretty nifty reveals etc out of it ... plus it's a richer way to tell the story).

We still get some red shirts even today, but as I've elaborated on earlier in this thread, there just ain't the time to spend - nor the audience wish - to fleshing out every single bit player, because it would inevitably mean much less time to spend with our (rather large) central cast. So I think a mix of the traditional red shirts - as all shows have - with some stand-out tie-in bit parts like David (which also paid off two episodes later with Betsy), is the best balance.

UK
    On the subject of background characters, I have just watched the episode where the Alexandrians have a welcoming party at Deana’s house for Team Rick. One of the main background characters was the woman who got killed first by The Wolves.

The best thing was Spence warned Sasha about this woman because she was constantly banging on about a Pasta maker. One of Team Rick later on walked passed her and she was talking about making Pasta also, this theme continued on the run that resulted in Aidan and Noah dying when they were told to keep their eyes open for the damn pasta maker.

I had missed that part on the first watch because it was all just a throwaway kind of comment but it made me chuckle knowing what the payoff was with Carols put down and the woman’s subsequent demise.
    Last edited by DayoftheZ; 12-Nov-2015 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Mistake in spacing

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    On the subject of background characters, I have just watched the episode where the Alexandrians have a welcoming party at Deana’s house for Team Rick. One of the main background characters was the woman who got killed first by The Wolves.

The best thing was Spence warned Sasha about this woman because she was constantly banging on about a Pasta maker. One of Team Rick later on walked passed her and she was talking about making Pasta also, this theme continued on the run that resulted in Aidan and Noah dying when they were told to keep their eyes open for the damn pasta maker.

I had missed that part on the first watch because it was all just a throwaway kind of comment but it made me chuckle knowing what the payoff was with Carols put down and the woman’s subsequent demise.
    Yep, and Eric also mentioned her during the Dinner with Aaron and Daryl.

Another thing that bothered me from back in season 3-4 was that out of everyone that Rick took in from Woodbury, not ONE was strong enough to become a valuable member of the group? Lol. At this point I'm surprised Tara is still around but I have my theories on her.

I'm not sure I mentioned this before but I really like Jesse's character. I feel sympathy for her and she is proving she belongs with Rick and the group. Just like Aaron.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    The people of Woodbury were horribly done. The whole pit fighting with Walkers scene was not consistent with the rest of the arc. Screaming and cheering for Walkers and human combatants and practically foaming at the mouth in excitement. Woodburyites were made to look extremely naive and dumb. They definitely weren't the type to enjoy toying with walkers. The image was cool to see but I never thought it matched what the Woodbury people actually were.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm not sure I mentioned this before but I really like Jesse's character. I feel sympathy for her and she is proving she belongs with Rick and the group. Just like Aaron.
    Agreed - these last few episodes she's been rocking it - especially when she took down that Wolf. Good to see her cottoning on to Team Rick's way of doing things - and the pragmatic take down of Walker Betsy was solid. Nice to see Rick getting a little bit jiggy too ... poor bugger needs some special time. He's certainly earned it!

Comics Spoiler:

I wonder if they'll follow up on Jessie's demise from the comics in the show ... it was brutal as hell and a standout moment, but now that Alexandra Breckinridge is getting some quality stuff to do (and doing it impressively, as well!) I kinda don't want her character to die. I want my cake and I want to eat it, too.

Breckinridge did have that blue dye thing going on with her hair on Talking Dead, though ... perhaps Jessie's not long for this world?

DayoftheZ - good spot! I've not been re-watching the episodes since the beginning of Season 5 so that I can really enjoy them fresh - almost like seeing them for the first time - when I get the Blu-Ray ... the downside of course is that I do miss some of these elements that are sewn through multiple episodes! Again, good spot! It'll be nice to rewatch the season in a short amount of time to get all the little things going on that you usually don't see because of all the big business that's up-front and in your face.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Agreed - these last few episodes she's been rocking it - especially when she took down that Wolf. Good to see her cottoning on to Team Rick's way of doing things - and the pragmatic take down of Walker Betsy was solid. Nice to see Rick getting a little bit jiggy too ... poor bugger needs some special time. He's certainly earned it!

Comics Spoiler:

I wonder if they'll follow up on Jessie's demise from the comics in the show ... it was brutal as hell and a standout moment, but now that Alexandra Breckinridge is getting some quality stuff to do (and doing it impressively, as well!) I kinda don't want her character to die. I want my cake and I want to eat it, too.

Breckinridge did have that blue dye thing going on with her hair on Talking Dead, though ... perhaps Jessie's not long for this world?
    Comics Spoiler:

I really do think that both Jessie and Ron will be killed off in similar fashion; the impact it created in the comics was too important to just skip over in the show. Just imagine the horrific visual on screen as Rick does what he does to save Carl. Actually, Carl is a lot older here and that wouldn't really make sense now. Anyway, I still believe they both die. I also do believe Sam will survive and will end up with Carol.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 13-Nov-2015 at 02:39 AM. Reason: blurb

Super Moderator

UK
    Comics Spoiler:

I really do think that both Jessie and Ron will be killed off in similar fashion; the impact it created in the comics was too important to just skip over in the show. Just imagine the horrific visual on screen as Rick does what he does to save Carl. Actually, Carl is a lot older here and that wouldn't really make sense now. Anyway, I still believe they both die. I also do believe Sam will survive and will end up with Carol.
    Continued Comics Spoiler/Future Show Theory:

Oh geez, another creepy adopted kid for Carol? The gal's got duff luck, so she does! Although a cookie monster is far better than a psychopathic killer kid.

Even with Carl being older, he's still not adult-level strong, and facing such a huge amount of walkers - and someone refusing to let go of you - I think it could still definitely work. If they do go ahead with this scene, as they should (although I'd still be gutted to lose Jessie), then holy shit it's going to be awesome!