Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD 6x05 "Now" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 6x05 "Now" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Please keep all talk of episode 6x05 "Now" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Avi Youabian
    Written by: Corey Reed

United States
    Kind of a meh episode. Not bad but not ground breaking. I think we all suspected Maggie was pregnant. So that reveal wasn't too shocking. I do however love Maggie and want to see more of her.(insert prego puns).

Again Riggs confirmed again he can't act. That fight scene looked horrible.

Was that whiny brat trying to bait Rick into going after Enid? I wasn't sure there.

Deanna is goofy as fuck too. What the hell does banging on a fence prove. Pure death awaits on the other side and it's just dumb to rile up those walkers.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Kind of a meh episode. Not bad but not ground breaking. I think we all suspected Maggie was pregnant. So that reveal wasn't too shocking. I do however love Maggie and want to see more of her.(insert prego puns).

Again Riggs confirmed again he can't act. That fight scene looked horrible.

Was that whiny brat trying to bait Rick into going after Enid? I wasn't sure there.

Deanna is goofy as fuck too. What the hell does banging on a fence prove. Pure death awaits on the other side and it's just dumb to rile up those walkers.
    This was an episode where it's a holding pattern story but also they are shoving some really terrible writing down our throats. That scene where Deanna's son rallying the troops to stick together at the food bank was cringe worthy. It reminded me so much of the scene where Andrea was rallying the troops at Woodbury when the people were down in the dumps. We need to get back to pragmatic writing for these characters and stop the preaching for crying out loud. There's enough going on in this story line where I feel we don't have to take a time out for a group hug every 15 minutes.
    Last edited by Harleydude666; 09-Nov-2015 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Grammar correction

United States
    Heh. What a cock tease. Another Sophia in the Barn.

Undisclosed
    This was an okay episode. Nothing to write home about. I pretty much figured we aren't going to learn of Glenn's fate until the mid-season finale, so I wasn't disappointed in that regard. As for the blood dripping on the fence at the end of the episode? I'm thinking Spencer killed himself. He was up there doing watch duty.

United States
    Typical Walking Dead. Nothing happened. Again!

And everyone felt the need to tell their well prepared and 'inspiring speeches. Again!

I love how Rick wanted to not attract attention to Alexandria, but sets up a regular watch there, so there will always be live people in sight of the hungry dead. Apparently, the Alexandrians also ignore his advice as I see lights on at night, people talking, even people loudly arguing. Also, they were apparently plentiful with food in 'JSS', but now in dire need to preserve in this episode? They have fewer mouths to feed now so, I don't know how that makes sense.

That's just some of the things that bothered me.

I did like more Aaron screentime even though the subplot he was in was ridiculous. :-)
    Last edited by Doc; 09-Nov-2015 at 07:14 AM. Reason: ..

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I love how Rick wanted to not attract attention to Alexandria, but sets up a regular watch there, so there will always be live people in sight of the hungry dead.
    I think that for the moment being Rick has no choice but to do that. He is expecting the other members still outside of Alexandria to give some sort of sign that they are coming back or at least that they are still alive, so they have to be on the lookout for that possibility. After that situation is resolved, then they can implement the plan of being less conspicuous to the zombies outside.

Also, they were apparently plentiful with food in 'JSS', but now in dire need to preserve in this episode? They have fewer mouths to feed now so, I don't know how that makes sense.
    Maybe some of the food got stolen or ruined during the Wolves' surprise raid. In any event, they always rationed food and supplies in Alexandria. Now that the survivors are more scared than ever and envision that they have their days numbered some of them are not happy with the rationing, and forgetting reason and common sense demand more. As the saying goes, "Living for today".
    Last edited by JDP; 09-Nov-2015 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo

United States
    Something I noticed on the Talking Dead: Alexandra Breckinridge has her hair dyed. Aren't they still filming the end of the season? (Insert all crazy speculation here.)

The sewer zombies were awesome; truly gross! It was good to see more of Aaron and Maggie as it feels like we haven't seen them much this season. Also, with nightfall at the end of the episode, the one day all this seasons episodes have taken place in finally ends!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Also, with nightfall at the end of the episode, the one day all this seasons episodes have taken place in finally ends!
    Oh yeah ... four episodes worth of content in less than 24 hours in-show time. What an exhausting day!!!

So the todger tease over Glenn's fate continues! Yeah ... it's gonna be 6x07 or 6x08 when we finally find out what's going on. Considering the condensed time period it's entirely possible.

The sewer, or "sludge", walkers were AWESOME. Sooooooo gross when Maggie slid her hand/arm up inside that chest cavity ... proper rank, so it was!

A bit of a holding patten episode in a way, but it also gives us some time to handle a fair bit of character business. Deanna's on her way back from somnambulant town, Ron continues to be a shifty bastard, Denise+Tara, Rick+Jessie ... Spencer failing to lead by example in secret.

The speeches did irk me. There was like four in this episode - Rick, Aaron, Spencer, and Jessie ... although only Spencer's irked me generally as it was a bit too written, if that makes sense? I thought his drunken rant at Deanna felt more rough and in-the-moment, and it's good to see Alexandrians (Jessie and Spencer particularly) realising that Rick & Co were right, albeit reacting in very different ways. Although Spencer's speech didn't sit so well with me in how it played, I did like the purpose of it - those buggers all just digging in selfishly - they need some reality up in their face. They need to pull together. I get where they're coming from, but curling up in a sad ball with a twinkie or three shoved in your mouth isn't helping anybody - and good that Spencer laid out what he achieved during the Wolves' attack, while that other guy did three fifths of sod all.

Deanna banging on the fence - it's a sign of defiance - Reg's fence is still standing and it's like her way of saying F.U. to the walkers ... of course, the blood that seeps through at the very end is a sign - to me at least - that there's a weak spot. Guaranteed a section of that fence caves in - it's gotta happen - shit is most definitely going to hit the fan in a big, bad way.

Cool - but sad - to see that Betsy (wife of David from 6x03) killed herself. It's just a minor, fleeting story to us - but to those characters that's a huge tragedy.

The pus syringe moment made my skin crawl ... that's more what makes me cringe ... although, as I've said, those sludge walkers were ridiculously gross (and amazing).

I think Ron is up to something - he wants to kill Carl - and he hates Rick (he'll hate him even more now that Officer Friendly is getting fresh with his Mum) ... so I think Ron wants to learn to shoot so he can try and eff up Rick/Carl's day ... ... and I expect it to go badly wrong for the little bastard.

Glad to get some quality Maggie (and Aaron) time, as well! There's been so much going on that some have been sidelined a bit, but these quieter episodes do give us the time to check in and get some business done (see how Carol isn't even glimpsed in this episode - just a quick reference - but had an awesome time in 6x02).

So sure, this isn't going to be an episode to write home about - but frankly you're never going to have every single episode be knock you down fantastic - you need episodes like this to get some much-needed business and character stuff done, so that the big events have the impact they do. The sheer amount of speeches, though, was annoying.

TWD 6x05 Memes:

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Something I noticed on the Talking Dead: Alexandra Breckinridge has her hair dyed. Aren't they still filming the end of the season? (Insert all crazy speculation here.)

The sewer zombies were awesome; truly gross! It was good to see more of Aaron and Maggie as it feels like we haven't seen them much this season. Also, with nightfall at the end of the episode, the one day all this seasons episodes have taken place in finally ends!
    I believe the season finale is being filmed today. But you may be too fast on the single day events ending. Next week looks like we get Daryl Abe and Sasha's story.

Minion you are right about Deanna's fence deal as act of defiance. I just dont know why she feels it necessary to entice the horror that sits on the other side.

Aside from Reg's walls this town is not ready. Glass doors, front porches with low windows. Keeping everything pretty is not a good idea in this world. At minimum I would remove all stairs to second levels, add ladders in place of them and everyone sleeps on second floor. People are on night watch which is great but if they get in how do you signal the sleeping people? What system is in place? For all the talk of how dangerous it is "out there" when the Walkers get in, its going to get dangerous in Alexandria.

One of many things this show is good at is creating fan speculation. Keep us guessing. The blood or substance oozing through the wall has us all talking about it. Someone speculated suicide. Or maybe another Wolf with a well placed arrow knocks over a guard into the fray. I need to say I dont care about the Glenn reveal. The fact that the show is teasing us is comedy on my end. I've said before I believe Glenn should be dead. No way he survives. And as Minion has said they better have some amazingly genius reason for surviving. Regardless when the show decides to provide the absolute truth I am fine with it. I think the show does this as a way to balance the large cast they have. So many characters get lost weeks on end. So in Glenn's case(if he is alive) they write him off for awhile. Maybe Steven Yeun had an important life event he wanted to be at.

United States
    I just figured out how Glenn survives!

Enid

This theory has nothing to do with the comics and is just pure speculation on my point. Just added the tags because last time I gave my thoughts someone went ahead and added the tags; which I'm totally cool with.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I just figured out how Glenn survives!

Enid

This theory has nothing to do with the comics and is just pure speculation on my point. Just added the tags because last time I gave my thoughts someone went ahead and added the tags; which I'm totally cool with.
    I had that theory too MK although I feel it could also be......... beware comic book spoiler only read if you have read the comics or dont mide spoilers

Jesus

That would be some entrance and make him an instant fans favourite

Maybe its just me but I was glued to the screen on this episode, I absolutely loved it!

It was great to see Rick acting less like a dick and actually showing some humanity which made him a must watch character for so long. It was also great to see more Maggie because she its a great character and has so far been under utilized. Also Aaron is fast becoming a solid Walking Dead character andceratinly one of the stand outs from the Alexandra originals.

Deana is a really odd one, she is an awkward character and seemingly an even more awkward actress but she is really interesting because I cant see what will happen with her. I cant tell if she will pull it together or mess up big time. I also enjoyed the exchanges between Tara / Denise and Jessie / The cookie monster.

I agree that the fight between Ron and Carl was just terrible and I couldn't help but laugh at that one. Either way Ron and Spencer need to be eaten alive.
    Last edited by DayoftheZ; 09-Nov-2015 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Addition

Administrator

England
    What did everyone interpret the ending as? Blood splurging through the fence from squished zombies on the other side?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    What did everyone interpret the ending as? Blood splurging through the fence from squished zombies on the other side?
    Yeah, pretty much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    I had that theory too MK although I feel it could also be......... beware comic book spoiler only read if you have read the comics or dont mide spoilers

Jesus

That would be some entrance and make him an instant fans favourite

That did run by my mind but I don't think they would want to change his introduction from the source material considering the mystery surrounding his arrival is pretty important and furthers the impact of the discovery of more communities among our Survivors. You never know though!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

United States
    So no obvious set of double guards on the gates at night? Even if they were pulled off the wall to not stir up the walkers?

Maybe they were there and not featured in the shots and not questioning someone who was acting oddly, but it seems poorly thought out considering this is a world where people are sometimes apt to go 'round the bend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Just added the tags because last time I gave my thoughts someone went ahead and added the tags; which I'm totally cool with.
    That may have been me. A couple weeks ago? Sometimes I forget what has been referenced from the comics already, what hasn't and what hasn't actually even happened in the monthlies. I must be getting old.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany