Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wonder Woman (film)

Administrator

England
    Well, it has some good elements/scenes. But I must admit some of it felt "slow," and some of it just felt as if we'd entered super duper wuper super hero territory, where instead of feeling we had a ground set of rules for our heroes, the rules were all over the place. eg: Wonder Woman starts shoots super duper energy beams when required...

DC still seem to be having problems IMHO, but this at least an improvement...

- - - Updated - - -

BTW...

Why did Steve need to blow himself up at the end?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The sequel is underway, Kristen Wiig has been cast as popular antagonist Cheetah, 1980’s setting confirmed, and the director’s social media accounts seem to point toward the title being “Wonder Woman 1984”....

Super Moderator

UK
    It'll be interesting to see Wiig tackle something outside her comfort zone. She did an excellent job with The Skeleton Twins (as did Bill Hader).

I'd like there to be some reference to what she was up to during WW2, mind you.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, Wiig seems to be trying roles outside of comedy recently. Skeleton Twins, The Martian, This Is Me, and Mother!, which I’ve not seen yet. I’ve always really liked her and feel like she has the potential to transition into a successful actor in the same way Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, or Steve Carell did.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Official press release, first official image, it is titled Woman Woman 1984, aaaannd....spoilers for the first movie below...

Chris Pine is returning?? There are a few ways this could go, I guess. He survived the events of the first movie(though he’d be very old), he’s a descendant of Steve Trevor(the comics and I think even the old Linda Carter show did this?), or its just some form of flashbacks/memories. I’m hoping for the latter, as the others could be extremely hard to pull off...

Yup....can’t scream “80’s!!!!” much more than that....

Loving the Members Only jacket.
    Last edited by bassman; 13-Jun-2018 at 05:24 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    That's a nice setting but I believe they would have hit a bigger audience if they'd played on the 90's nostalgia kids.

Super Moderator

UK
    The 1980s are more defined and identifiable as a decade, there was more change and turbulance than in the 1990s, which kind of built upon events of the 80s or changing them into something else. The dying years of the Cold War would be more interesting for Wonder Woman as nuclear paranoia resurfaced and things were kind of on the brink again.

Looking forward to seeing it!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The 1980s are more defined and identifiable as a decade, there was more change and turbulance than in the 1990s, which kind of built upon events of the 80s or changing them into something else. The dying years of the Cold War would be more interesting for Wonder Woman as nuclear paranoia resurfaced and things were kind of on the brink again.

Looking forward to seeing it!
    I agree. But you know, the 80's nostalgia wave has kinda come and gone.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    If it is a wave, I’m not so sure it’s gone yet. There’s not a week that goes by when I don’t go through the city and see people with remarkably 80’s style haircuts or clothing.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    It's come, but brother, it ain't gone what with the likes of "Atomic Blonde" and synthwave. 80s nostalgia feels quite enduring, partly down to the culture - the movies and music in particular - so even if the fascination might ebb from time-to-time, it surges back again.

90s nostalgia is more rare to find - although "The To-Do List" is set in the 90s (a quite enjoyable saucy comedy with Aubrey Plaza), and the sitcom "Fresh Off The Boat" is set in the mid-90s.

There's a bit of an untapped thing for 90s nostalgia, though, and even turn-of-the-century nostalgia (as in, the millennium).

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Maybe I'm off. You guys could be right. I just figured the people who adore the 80's are not the target audience anymore.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Having seen some behind the scenes stuff on Captain Marvel, I can say that film is going to heavily rely on 90’s nostalgia. Grunge, plaid shirts, the whole nine yards. Perhaps there’s a chance that Jenkins and Johns were aware of this and didn’t want to have the films too heavily compared? Or it’s just that Wonder Woman has had some historic events take place in the 80’s instead of them really relying on nostalgia to bring in viewers...

Super Moderator

UK
    The viewers coming to Wonder Woman 2 will be coming because of the character and the franchise, rather than 80s nostalgia. The 80s thing is just a cool bonus and setting for her, and I suppose it's also an interesting middle ground (or, not so middle, but somewhere between anyway) from the first movie where it was World War 1 society and the present day (where we've also seen her - in BvS), so the 80s, building upon the 60s and 70s, saw more women going into work and taking positions of power etc so it plays into that underlying theme of the material. Although that theme is so strong in and of itself that you don't need to push it too hard in the script, if that makes sense, otherwise it'll come off as forced and even disingenous (i.e. trying too hard or a flat out polemic). I think they got the balance right in the first movie, certainly with the light/dark tone, and the themes of women was inherent to the source material anyway and the juxtaposition of her homeland to World War 1 society was stark enough that it kind of did a lot of the heavy lifting itself.

Anyone know when a trailer will be out? Looking forward to that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^ They’ve just recently started principle photography, so it will likely be a while before we see a trailer with substantial footage. However, it’s basically a certainty that they’ll put something together for Comic Con next month.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    ^ They’ve just recently started principle photography, so it will likely be a while before we see a trailer with substantial footage. However, it’s basically a certainty that they’ll put something together for Comic Con next month.
    Ah! I'd forgotten you mentioned they'd only just started shooting! hehe ... still sleepy this morning. I'm decidedly not a morning person.