Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD 6x10 "The Next World" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 6x10 "The Next World" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Please keep all talk of episode 6x10 "The Next World" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Kari Skogland
    Written by: Angela Kang & Corey Reed

Kari Skogland is a new director to the TWD fold, but not to this particular zombie apocalypse, having directed episodes 4 and 5 of Fear The Walking Dead.

Kang & Reed are, as we know, seasoned TWD writers.

United States
    I believe this is the first time Rick and Daryl have ever gone out on their own.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Oh no Michonne. You can't love Rick or you will die

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Feels like a betrayal of comic Michonne who's been depicted as having a racial preference in partners. Also she and Rick had more of sibling relationship then this.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I believe this is the first time Rick and Daryl have ever gone out on their own.
    If I remember correctly, Rick and Daryl had been out there scavenging/hunting on their own before, they discovered the prison that way.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    If I remember correctly, Rick and Daryl had been out there scavenging/hunting on their own before, they discovered the prison that way.
    They just split off from the group as they discovered the prison. This was the first time the two actually went out alone.

Just waiting on the first person to complain about Walker Deanna being out in the woods intact.

Oh, and yes, Jesus is finally here.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    Feels like a betrayal of comic Michonne who's been depicted as having a racial preference in partners. Also she and Rick had more of sibling relationship then this.
    Eh. As we've seen, the stories diverge. She and Rick's on-screen chemistry has been a little different in subtle ways that the print versions. Someone had to inherit Andrea's comic story line. And Daryl occupies more of the "buddy/sidekick" role that Michonne does in the comic. So for better or worse, she's the logical choice in terms of who's available from a writing perspective.

Super Moderator

UK
    RICHONNE!!!

Groovy episode - dug the themes going on with Spencer tracking down walker Deanna to put her out of her misery/Carl leading walker Deanna back to Alexandria so someone who loved her could do the necessary (harking back a little to when Carl had to prevent Lori from turning after that troubled birth) ... not to mention Carl thinking of Michonne as the matriarch in their new little family and saying how much he cared about Michonne.

Loved that we're also getting some levity tossed in here and there, too. "Hunky Dunky", Rick's taste in music winding up Daryl etc - and the domesticity thing with Rick/Carl/Judith/Michonne - it's nice to see them in a place where they've been able to relax a little bit and actually enjoy what they're fighting for.

Also nice to have a time jump - with 6x01 through 6x09 being set over such a compressed space of time, the two month time jump was a welcome way to shift things along a bit.

The walker with the neck that you could see straight through in part was very cool - the perfect blend of practical and CG.

The stuff with Jesus/Paul was interesting - the whole Rick and Daryl escapade was good fun.

Loved the climax ( ) of the episode. Great to see Rick regain this part of his life. We'd seen some of this with Lori, but much of their screentime was fraught - especially in season three - and since then he's had that part of him completely shut off until Jessie stirred things up. It's good that they left it at just one kiss with Jessie so as to not get in the way of what we got in this episode - besides, I think Rick and Michonne have felt very close for a long time, but have never really got it until now when the time was right. I think it also probably needed that couple of months time between 6x09 and 6x10 to allow it to rise up to the surface.

As for Deanna - yeah, maybe one extra bite, evident say ... on the arm, or neck ... might have been a good idea. My theory would be that she barricaded the door long enough for her to die, then the walkers got in and found nothing to chow down on, so they left and she wandered off too. I dug that whole scene with Spencer and walker Deanna as we generally tend to not really get the opportunity to see the emotional cost of the zombie apocalypse. We've had times where that has been allowed to happen (e.g. Andrea and Amy), but we only get it rarely - so it was a welcome addition.

TWD 6x10 Memes:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2016/...dead-6x10.html

United States
    Minion, I like that theory on Deanna, however, how did she escape? Haha

Anyway, loved this episode it was tons of fun. Rick and Daryl, along with Jesus's clever tactics and witty humor was great.

I don't mind Rick and Michonne. From a story perspective it makes sense. I mean, who else could have filled that void? Now I'm left wondering what happens with Michonne's story down the line.

The ending made me smile as Jesus just stood between a naked Rick and Michonne; because well, he has something very important to say.

England
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Perfect haha.

Ireland
    Ok episode, nothing more. Good that Jebus is here, but in fairness, he'd be a dead man pulling that nonsense in reality.

Not happy at all with the Michonne/Rick thing. That smacks of forced soap opera shite TBH.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Ok episode, nothing more. Good that Jebus is here, but in fairness, he'd be a dead man pulling that nonsense in reality.

Not happy at all with the Michonne/Rick thing. That smacks of forced soap opera shite TBH.
    Do you read the comic? In fairness, the comic is way more soap opera than the show. Besides, it's far less realistic if nobody ever bumps uglies in a world where you can die at any given moment. Not too mention it doesn't feel forced because the characters actually had a strong bond that goes back a few seasons already.

I loved the Jesus stuff. Why can't TWD have a little fun every now and then?

Ireland
    It felt forced, unconvincing and more than a bit "writery".

Yes, I read the comics and TBH, it's all gotten a bit meh there too. Was never a big fan of the Negan/Alexandria story line in the comics either. The last TPB I got was No.23, but I haven't bothered reading it yet.

'The Walking Dead' is a good TV show and I'm delighted it's on, but it takes a lot to love it, or even like it sometimes.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    How did it make any sense to leave the car behind when they found the truck?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Nice
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan