Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predator sequel/reboot (film) - Arnold back?

Administrator

England

Predator sequel/reboot (film) - Arnold back?

So rumours are that Arni may be in the sequel/reboot? From what I've read I believe it is a sequel and not a reboot and is due out March 2018...

http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/...or-shane-black

"I haven’t talked with him (Shane Black) yet but I’m going to meet with him for lunch sometime soon," said Schwarzenegger. "Just as soon as I’m finished with this (Arnold Sports Festival) and [hosting] The Apprentice and all this stuff. But I will get together with him. If there is any news, we’ll of course let you know right away."
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't mind a sequel. I thought the Rodriguez one was alright. The franchise lends itself to just telling more anecdotes set in the Predator universe.
    Don't know how I feel about Arnold being involved. The thing is this; reading his autobiografy I realized that this was a person who very much cared for the end product from every angle. He would get involved in the marketing and the production of the film beyond what was required of him. His reasoning was that these films were his flagships and that he wanted to deliver as fine-tuned a product as possible. I respect that and I think it shows in most of his older films.

Some of the films he admits got off-track, like Running Man for instance. Most of these are due to circumstances which he feels out of his control - for instance the director of Running Man was replaced during filming.

I can't see this in his latest outings. I get the feeling now that he's jumping at the chance to revisit every one of his old franchises that were huge successes. Terminator is an obvious one, but let's not forget the Twins sequel that's in the making, in addition to the upcoming Conan film. Now this? I don't know... Skip this one, Arnie. You're too old.

Super Moderator

UK
    A new Shane Black led Predator movie? I'm on board with that.

How Arnie can figure into it ... ... I'm not so sure. With the mixed output he's had of late, I am a bit ambivalent on the issue. On the one hand it could turn out great, on the other hand it could be a bit ropey.

I'd agree that Rodriguez's movie worked well. I rather enjoyed it ... admittedly it was quite heavy on the references/influences of the first movie, but it was a fun flick that generally delivered without going the remake route (which was merciful). I think the trouble with the Predator franchise is that it's not necessarily open to a long run of stories ... it's kind of finite what you can do storytelling wise. The Terminator films have kind of proven that - it should have ended with T2, and everything since has been either awful or going around in circles and diminishing what came before.

However, with Shane Black involved I'm certainly very interested to see how this one shakes out.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The new synopsis suggests that that predators are now “genetically modified”. Uh oh....that angle hasn’t worked too well with other sequels...

“From the outer reaches of space to the small-town streets of suburbia, the hunt comes home in Shane Black’s explosive reinvention of the Predator series. Now, the universe’s most lethal hunters are stronger, smarter and deadlier than ever before, having genetically upgraded themselves with DNA from other species. When a young boy accidentally triggers their return to Earth, only a ragtag crew of ex-soldiers and a disgruntled science teacher can prevent the end of the human race.”

Still, it’s Shane Black, so I’m giving it the benefit of the doubt. Although, it’s also a bit troubling that we haven’t even had a teaser yet and the film is out in about 5 months?...

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... if the Predators are modifying themselves, then that might be okay (it'd be awful if it had been some boring cliche with 'da gubmint' trying to use alien tech as a weapon, for instance), although the 'young boy triggers their return' bit seems a bit ... ... huh?

We'll see. I'm a fan of Shane Black's work, so like you, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt ... but I'd forgotten about this project completely until now. Fingers crossed for it!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

“...Now, the universe’s most lethal hunters are stronger, smarter and deadlier than ever before, having genetically upgraded themselves with DNA from other species. ..."
    And that's required and better... because...?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Sounds like typical Hollywood thinking that sequels MUST be bigger. Hopefully it’s just the way the studio created this synopsis and Black has a better take on sequels...

It’s also a bit troubling that they recently finished re-shoots that were done to completely change the entire third act of the film. http://www.superherohype.com/news/41...tire-third-act

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Sounds like typical Hollywood thinking that sequels MUST be bigger. Hopefully it’s just the way the studio created this synopsis and Black has a better take on sequels...

It’s also a bit troubling that they recently finished re-shoots that were done to completely change the entire third act of the film. http://www.superherohype.com/news/41...tire-third-act
    Well, maybe the end just didn't work, and the fact they were willing to invest and do so much rework is possibly a good indication of the film in general?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    https://youtu.be/494VI0S4pmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=494VI0S4pmA

Hard to tell from the trailer, IMO. Looks like it’ll be on the same level as the last one, which I enjoyed...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 10-May-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... ... we'll see, I guess. I'm a fan of Black's movies, so it should be good fun, but I don't know what to make of the trailer, though ... feeling a bit luke warm about the whole thing.

Regarding "Predators" - yeah, I enjoyed that one as well. Good flick, that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Trailer Two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYGtnX-P3QE

Two trailers in and I’m still not sure what to think. Apparently this new genetically enhanced Predator is fuckin twelve foot tall?? Lovin the gratuitous callback to Black’s character with the bad pussy jokes.

Last edited by bassman; 26-Jun-2018 at 02:04 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Likewise I still don't know what to make of this yet. I'm really on the fence about this. Notice how this trailer downplays the kid angle, that we saw in the first trailer, for like 99% of this trailer. Whether there's anything in that or not, I don't know, but the balance was off in the first trailer.

This is a more interesting trailer to me, although I assume the 'classic Predator' doesn't stick around long to be allied with the humans against this new roided-out Predator.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I think it looks alright. The trailer does show too much of the plot, tho. It basicly spells it out for us. I wonder why? Isn't this the kind of film that get's sold on imagery alone?

Ireland
    Generic action meh, by the looks of things.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This behind the scenes video got me more excited for the film than either of the trailers...