Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD 6x13 "The Same Boat" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 6x13 "The Same Boat" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Please keep all talk of episode 6x13 "The Same Boat" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Billy Gierhart
    Written by: Angela Kang
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 14-Mar-2016 at 04:29 PM.

England
    Looking forward to this episode for the 1st time in a long time.
    The last 2 have been excellent despite the usual terrible dialogue and other complaints that I have.
    The misdirection is being done very well and is pushing the story forward at a good pace.
    I think we may lose more than 1 major character before the seasons over as well.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 13-Mar-2016 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Fggg
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Looking forward to this episode for the 1st time in a long time.
    The last 2 have been excellent despite the usual terrible dialogue and other complaints that I have.
    The misdirection is being done very well and is pushing the story forward at a good pace.
    I think we may lose more than 1 major character before the seasons over as well.
    I'm curious, what terrible dialogue are you referring to? I know some of the minor one off characters are a bit meh when it comes down to that but terrible dialogue from the main cast in every episode?
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    God damn these episodes are pure violence. Maggie and Carol were cool before but this is a different level. This stuff is gonna mess with my head.

United States
    I wasn't really feeling this one up until the last 15 min than the intensity kicked in. The slow burn of a build really got you questioning Carol. Maggie being the cold one really surprised me but this really has got her character's storyline heading in the right direction. Kudos. Like Facestabber alluded to, these last couple episodes are just dark, man, and I'm loving it. Great character piece for two characters who I believed just shared screen time together for the very first time.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 14-Mar-2016 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Wording
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    A bit of a pot boiler, this one - a sort of chamber piece - very character centric, and all the more powerful for it after the previous episode's lead-filled finale.

I really dug the Carol/Maggie mix - but also dug that they each had someone in the Savior gang who was their mirror, their sort of negative image, their bizarro universe incarnation - what they'd be if they hadn't strived to be as good as they could in the circumstances. Paula, for example, clearly gave up trying to be a good person - she stopped feeling - she just exists. I think, had Shane lived - but split from Team Rick - he'd have very easily ended up either in The Saviors, or in a Saviors-like gang.

Hey - there's a spin-off 'what if' special Kirkman could do in the comics, or even have done as a spin-off 'what if' novel - what if Shane had lived, but gone his own way, only to once again come face-to-face with Team Rick when they met The Saviors (Shane having joined The Saviors not too long after splitting from Team Rick)? That'd make for a fun 'alternative TWD universe' side story, what do you think?

Melissa McBride absolutely rocked this episode - as did Lauren Cohan - but it was definitely Carol in the driving seat here. Great to see the weight of war really hitting some of these characters. They almost went too far - found Alexandria, came back from the brink, but now find themselves back in the pure filth of the apocalypse. It's rough stuff - but very satisfying drama to watch unfold.

Paula's demise - brutally brilliant!

Great to see Maggie make an about turn and realise she doesn't want to keep doing this - there's more in this world now for her.

In terms of Team Rick covering their tracks - they're solid - except for two possibilities:
    1) Gregory rats them out to the Saviors if/when the Saviors come snooping around for any info - and threaten Gregory (perhaps believing it was the Hilltop that attacked their satellite outpost).
    2) Heath & Tara driving around in one of the Savior's vehicles - and getting spotted/caught.

Now, to be fair to H&T, they left before the encounter with Paula et al - so in their view the Saviors are toast - but FFS, at least take the license plates off and do something to change the appearance of the vehicle (smash out a window, make some dents, remove a bumper, dirty it up etc) so you could make it pass as the same model as that vehicle, but not that particular vehicle. Of course, you could still run the risk of any straggler Saviors putting two and two together - missing vehicle at the satellite outpost, then this one driving around that looks similar. You could swap out the number plates along the way with another vehicle, though ... but even still.

I think the car might very well be the piece of evidence they overlook that causes a whole heap of trouble.

Anyway - very satisfied with this episode - it starts quiet and subdued, but the tension really ratchets up gradually until it all kicks off.

I'm constantly finding myself pleased with the wealth of talent they're bringing in for these main player one-episode arcs, too.

TWD 6x13 Memes:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2016/...6x13.html#more

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I'm curious, what terrible dialogue are you referring to? I know some of the minor one off characters are a bit meh when it comes down to that but terrible dialogue from the main cast in every episode?
    The writers seem to love having the characters talk in meta terms instead of the situation at hand in a natural conversation.
    Drives me nuts.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Funny you mention Shane, Minion because I was thinking about him this episode. Speaking of which, where the hell is Wylde? Ok back to Shane. Paula's story about killing her boss to survive reminded me of Shane's similar and quick jump to this world's rule book. For my taste Shane moved too fast and it showed in his instability. But I can't deny Shane's intuition as to what the world was now. Fast forward to Rick in this episode. He is far removed from the man who genuinely said "sorry" to biker girl before blasting her brains. And even more removed from 18 miles out Rick. Saddest damn thing to me was if Shane and Ricks love triangle could have been solved peacefully, they would make an even more dominant duo than any other cast member.

Wylde, come back man.

UK
    That episode was tense as hell, my backside was clinging onto the sofa for dear life not knowing what was going to happen next.

Carol is just such a great character and almost the perfect one for a Living Dead story. She has so many layers that you just never know which way her personality is going to swing. Maggie was amazing also and the near miss wake up call was a nice and realistic touch as she was getting pretty reckeless there for a moment.

I also really like the whole "we are all Negan" thing. It really shows the saviours have a common goal, which is in contrast to the Woodbury arc. Conisdering how lukewarm I was to this section of the Comics I really am digging seeing the TV version, in fact this episode is way up on my list of all time favourites.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    In terms of Team Rick covering their tracks - they're solid - except for two possibilities:
    1) Gregory rats them out to the Saviors if/when the Saviors come snooping around for any info - and threaten Gregory (perhaps believing it was the Hilltop that attacked their satellite outpost).
    2) Heath & Tara driving around in one of the Savior's vehicles - and getting spotted/caught.
    I wouldnt be suprised if there are some survivors in the burning Kill Floor. There looked to be a dry corner of the room where perhaps you could survive maybe (although probably not) If you look one of the saviours runs right into the dry corner.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    The writers seem to love having the characters talk in meta terms instead of the situation at hand in a natural conversation.
    Drives me nuts.
    Yes, sir, fair enough.

Now, how great is f*cking Carol? I loved how she made sure to leave tracks just knowing Daryl wouldn't be too far behind. A little touch that's easy to miss early on as she's walking and we are witnessing it from her pov.

What's also great is how this episode shows us what our team looks like to the Saviors; as we are seeing them from a strangers perspective. Very cool and chilling.

I have a very bad feeling about the next episode and from a personal perspective I may not like it.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 15-Mar-2016 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Typo grrrrr

Ireland
    Well, there it is...

That was the best episode of this (rather lukewarm) season. Hard to top that for tension.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Hey! Good episode ... Nice change of pace from last weeks!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Another very interesting tidbit that I forgot to mention was the thoughtful radio communication by the saviors. They are going to be a force. As soon as they knew an enemy had a radio they went to predetermined plan for alternate frequency. And that just adds to why I partly dread these last 3 episodes. These fukn saviors are gonna hurt my people in a bad way.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Another very interesting tidbit that I forgot to mention was the thoughtful radio communication by the saviors. They are going to be a force. As soon as they knew an enemy had a radio they went to predetermined plan for alternate frequency. And that just adds to why I partly dread these last 3 episodes. These fukn saviors are gonna hurt my people in a bad way.
    Innit! The sense of dread is strong right now on TWD.

Also, in this episode, it was good to see that 'the good guys' is to some extent relative. That said, The Saviours are clearly the real bastards here - running a protection racket like bullies of the post-apocalypse ("give us 'yer stuff and we won't cream ya!"), and judging by the characters we've so far met and interacted with, they're messed up kinda people. At best we have Paula - someone who just doesn't care - and at worst we've got utter scumbags who give off the stinkiest of vibes.

Our gang are compromised, sorely in some ways, but their constant striving for a better life, a better way of living, to invite people into their fold, to work with other groups (a recent advancement with The Hilltop) sets them distinctly apart from the scum of The Saviours or the Termites or the Claimers. Heck, The Saviours are making the worst that Woodbury had to offer look like primary school teachers with big rosy cheeks.

Shoot - "lukewarm season" ... ... ... ... you never make any sense to me.

United States
    ^ Minion I agree. "Lukewarm"? Lol. First four were great. Now, from there it kinda dips for me but "Heads Up" was good and the season finale was ok at best and since the return pretty damn amazing. These final three are gonna be killer. I think the whole Glenn fake out turned off some folks and I can understand that.

Shoot: Still nothing but love, bro.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 15-Mar-2016 at 05:14 PM. Reason: :D