Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Jones 5 (film)

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    You're a fan of all thing Spielberg, aren't you?
    I like Spielberg well enough. He made films that were on the TV throughout my entire childhood.

On the flip side he made the film that I consider to be the worst I have ever seen in AI. I’m a tight Yorkshire man and came very close indeed to walking out of the cinema with that film.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    I like Spielberg well enough. He made films that were on the TV throughout my entire childhood.

On the flip side he made the film that I consider to be the worst I have ever seen in AI. I’m a tight Yorkshire man and came very close indeed to walking out of the cinema with that film.
    I quite like some aspects of AI...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    AI is a bit of a strange scenario because he was basically trying to make the film as if he were Stanley Kubrick. Had he not been trying to finish Kubrick's project and actually made the film in his normal fashion, I think the end result would have been much more pleasing.

Back to Indy.....if this is Speilberg and Ford's last round with the franchise, which it most likely is, I'm wondering how they will leave the door open for any future sequels or spinoffs. Being that Indy is now owned by Disney, you just KNOW they're going to want this fifth film to lead into others, but would this include Shia Lebouf as Jones III, recast because of his poor reception in the previous film, or create an entirely new character that can carry the franchise?

EDIT: David Koepp, who also wrote Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, is returning to pen Indy 5. For those that dislike Kingdom and will point to the same writer being a bad sign....I would also point out that Koepp was hired to cobble together scripts from multiple writers for the previous film rather than start from the ground up on a story of his own. He also wrote Jurassic Park....
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Mar-2016 at 11:38 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Jon Kasdan has taken over writing duties from Koepp. Jon’s father, Lawrence, wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark, so maybe that lineage could help?....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Having seen Blade Runner last year; Harrison Ford is too old. There's no way he can pull this off as anything other than sitting in a chair in the opening and telling a story which turns into a flashback.

Ireland
    I think everyone is too bloody old.

It's been delayed apparently too, so they'll be even older. I don't think anyone really has a want for this.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They’d have to be very careful at how they execute it, but I would be okay with Ford being bookends of the film, with flashbacks to an adventure when he was younger. It could also possibly allow them to stay in the past with the new actor and continue on with new films, which is definitely something they want to do.

By the time they get around to filming, Ford will be 80. Either flashbacks or a limited Jones Sr. type role are really the best options.

Ireland
    They should just let it die.

These things had their time.

Honestly, I feel like Jeff bleedin Goldblum every time some studio wants to make a film these days.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    True, but Disney isn’t going to let that cash cow die. It’s going to continue in one way or another, so I guess the best we can hope for is that they can do it in a semi-satisfying way.

Ireland
    It'll die and die badly when they a balls of it though.

Seriously, Jones had his day and that's gone. In any case what can he do now? The last one was terrible, with an awful story. But what can Indy do or go after that would make sense? And the idea that he bookends a new actor is woeful. Just woeful. That, right there, is the death knell. They should learn from 'Solo'. Nobody wants rebooted characters cosplaying as beloved heroes from their childhood. It just won't work.

Surely there are some minds at work in these studios?

Administrator

England
    No.3 was the last Indy film...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    They should just let it die.

These things had their time.

Honestly, I feel like Jeff bleedin Goldblum every time some studio wants to make a film these days.

LOL!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Indy 4 gets a bad rap. Certain things are fair enough, but it gets slayed for types of things that nobody saw an issue with in the first three movies. I liked Indy 4.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Indy 4 gets a bad rap. Certain things are fair enough, but it gets slayed for types of things that nobody saw an issue with in the first three movies. I liked Indy 4.
    Sorry he jumped the fridge with no. 4!!!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    And Marion jumped a cliff, laughing.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    And Marion jumped a cliff, laughing.
    OMG! I remember almost shouting out in the cinema at that bit!
    -Carl Sagan