Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Jones 5 (film)

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    No.3 was the last Indy film...
    Yes, and so was Return of the Jedi the last Star Wars film. And Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome was the last Mad Max movie. And T2 the last Terminator film. And Tron was the first and last Tron film (how the hell can you pretend to make a Tron film basically without Tron in it, not to say anything of Ed Dillinger and Yori/Lora??? PREPOSTEROUS!!!) And The Howling was the first and last Howling movie. There's many such examples. "Say what???", some naive youngster might ask. "But what about all the other movies in the same franchises that came after those???" Nothing. They never happened. It's as if they don't exist, as if they were never made. Not "canon", not accepted, totally REJECTED!

Super Moderator

UK
    Sorry he jumped the fridge with no. 4!!!
    No 'worse' than Temple of Doom where they jump out of a crashing plane in a raft - which inflates mid-air with three people in it - crash land on a snowy mountain, ride their way down, go shooting over a huge cliff and into river rapids - and survive it all.

Indy films are based on the 1930s serials, where cliffhangers came from, and the heroes would always face (and survive) impossible situations and odds. It's entirely in-keeping with the vibe.

Hell, in Last Crusade Jones Sr. takes down a fighter plane with an umbrella and a flock of seagulls!

"Nuke the fridge" became a meme, and a lazy one at that, but it's entirely in-keeping with what came before.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    And Marion jumped a cliff, laughing.
    She smirks with satisfaction. That's it. You make it sound like she's cackling her head off.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I agree. I’ll even go as far to say that I really enjoy that scene, particularly the set up. His confusion at first, then the realization as the countdown begins, the “oh sure, don’t wait for me!!”, then the way he comes out disoriented....that’s all pure, classic Jones/Ford, to me. Seen many times before, just with the added 1950’s angle.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    No 'worse' than Temple of Doom where they jump out of a crashing plane in a raft - which inflates mid-air with three people in it - crash land on a snowy mountain, ride their way down, go shooting over a huge cliff and into river rapids - and survive it all.

Indy films are based on the 1930s serials, where cliffhangers came from, and the heroes would always face (and survive) impossible situations and odds. It's entirely in-keeping with the vibe.

Hell, in Last Crusade Jones Sr. takes down a fighter plane with an umbrella and a flock of seagulls!

"Nuke the fridge" became a meme, and a lazy one at that, but it's entirely in-keeping with what came before.
    As always, with these type of films, it comes down to the extension of your willingness to suspend disbelief. That scene in 'Temple of Doom' is indeed ridiculous. However, there are stories of people who have survived falls of greater heights without parachutes. Alan McGee fell from over 20,000 feet, when he jumped out of his stricken B-17 in the Second World War.

On the other hand, anyone caught in the centre of an atomic blast would be instantly vaporised. So, there isn't even a sliver of possibility happening there.

She smirks with satisfaction. That's it. You make it sound like she's cackling her head off.
    She has a dumb grin on her face while driving off of a cliff to what everyone would think is certain death. She can't possibly know what fate awaits her or her passangers.

It's looks incredibly dumb, even for an Indy film.

In any case, as far as I'm concerned, there really was one truly great Indiana Jones film and that was the first one. The second is grand too. But, that's where I stop.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It’s been a while, and probably doesn’t necessarily help with the suspension of disbelief, but isn’t she shown looking over the cliff and forming a plan? Maybe seeing someone else use the tree in the same way?
    Last edited by bassman; 30-Jun-2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It’s been a while, and probably doesn’t necessarily help with the suspension of disbelief, but isn’t she shown looking over the cliff and forming a plan? Maybe seeing someone else use the tree in the same way?
    Honestly, I can't remember Bassy. It's been years since I've watched it.

Super Moderator

UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FcXexwpOzo

She only smiles/smirks after her 'drive over the edge onto the tree' plan works. Prior to that she isn't gurning like an idiot, she's quite serious and focused about it yelling "trust me!" ... she only smiles a smug smirk after her move proved successful.

When it comes to the waterfall it's always everyone screaming. The first is quite small, everyone remains inside. The second is bigger and everyone is kind of half-in, half-out of the car, the third one is big and they all bail out quickly.

If you're using surprising realities of the real world to judge an Indiana Jones movie, I think you're judging it on the wrong scale, to be honest.

Ireland
    It's still fucking stupid.

Drive off a cliff?

Sure, grand. Go on.

It's not really about judging a scene based on the realities of the real world. There aren't many scenes in Indy films that would survive that. It's whether it's looks dumb or not. And that scene looks dumb.

Administrator

England
    Yes, absolutely great squence isn't it. Made all the better by them not grinning...

BTW - Myth Busters tried the raft drop... and basically it CAN work!

I don't recall them trying a truck down a tree probably because we know the answer, with or without a grin.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FcXexwpOzo

She only smiles/smirks after her 'drive over the edge onto the tree' plan works. Prior to that she isn't gurning like an idiot, she's quite serious and focused about it yelling "trust me!" ... she only smiles a smug smirk after her move proved successful.

When it comes to the waterfall it's always everyone screaming. The first is quite small, everyone remains inside. The second is bigger and everyone is kind of half-in, half-out of the car, the third one is big and they all bail out quickly.

If you're using surprising realities of the real world to judge an Indiana Jones movie, I think you're judging it on the wrong scale, to be honest.
    That... Is... Appalling! EDIT: From when she started the truck towards the cliff, she wouldn't even know what was down there. ie: She couldn't even see a tree!

Note: With all the Germans on ropes tied to the truck... Why not just ram that truck off the edge of the cliff? Then take all the time they need to drive what ever vehicle they like down what ever plant they wish?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    From when she started the truck towards the cliff, she wouldn't even know what was down there. ie: She couldn't even see a tree!
    There’s a scene a few minutes earlier where she’s driving toward the cliff with Mutt in the car, he says “mom there’s a cliff!”, she quickly turns, riding along the edge of the cliff, she looks over the edge seeing the tree, then there’s a moment of realization on her face that then turns to a grin as she’d formed a plan.

I don't recall them trying a truck down a tree probably because we know the answer, with or without a grin.
    Regardless of the execution or individual reception of the scene....to be fair, trees can have the strength to support vehicles. Heck, even Spielberg himself had already used the idea in Jurassic Park....
    Last edited by bassman; 30-Jun-2018 at 11:01 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    There’s a scene a few minutes earlier where she’s driving toward the cliff with Mutt in the car, he says “mom there’s a cliff!”, she quickly turns, riding along the edge of the cliff, she looks over the edge seeing the tree, then there’s a moment of realization on her face that then turns to a grin as she’d formed a plan.

Regardless of the execution or individual reception of the scene....to be fair, trees can have the strength to support vehicles. Heck, even Spielberg himself had already used the idea in Jurassic Park....
    Still don't buy it...

Driving a truck she's never driven before, off a cliff, onto a tree... Most likely she'd just undershoot/overshoot the thing, and then for it to be able to take 4 tons of weight, perfectly?

No... No... No...

Daft... Daft... Daft...

If it was completely by accident, or there was absolutely no alternative, then maybe I could buy into it... But as a part of a choice and plan? No... No... No...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Before watching that clip I remember thinking "Well, was Crystal Skull really that bad? Maybe I should rewatch it".

Now I don't feel like rewatching it anymore. Looks cheap and silly.

Ireland
    Scenes like that are a symptom of CGI-itis.

It allows film makers to put a whole manner of dumb things into their films, that otherwise wouldn't be possible. Sure, model effects could allow some silly things too, like the rollercostery mine cart ride in Temple of Doom. But, more often than not a film maker had to think around something, because it just wasn't possible. CGI makes that level of stupid possible.

Imagine of 'Jaws' was made today. It would a CGI shark, on screen every ten minutes...and it would be rubbish.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

Imagine of 'Jaws' was made today. It would a CGI shark, on screen every ten minutes...and it would be rubbish.
    Have you seen the trailers for “The Meg”? It’s an upcoming CGI shark-fest, like you mention. So cheesy and over the top that it looks like a goofy good time!

Ireland
    Have you seen the trailers for “The Meg”? It’s an upcoming CGI shark-fest, like you mention. So cheesy and over the top that it looks like a goofy good time!
    I saw one briefly. Don't know what to make of it yet.