Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Jones 5 (film)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

I can see it working!

Ireland
    No, no....a thousand times no.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Feck me, that sounds just awful.

How do these morons not get it yet? Holy shit.

Administrator

England
    More doom from Doomcock...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am2UYowqhu8
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    If that is indeed how the films goes/ends, then fuck me what a balls up.

I won't be paying for that shite, let alone watch it.

That fella in the video could do with less rambling and get the fuck on with what he wants to say; the amount of announcing what he's about to tell you is irksome.

Administrator

England
    Yeh, to imply all of our beloved memories of Indy have to be white washed over...?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yeh, to imply all of our beloved memories of Indy have to be white washed over...?
    It's a wretched kind of approach, it essentially erases the beloved character - literally in this case, according to the leaks - and all he has done, handing it over to some nobody character who's parachuted in at the last minute. It's asinine.

Indiana Jones needs to be left well alone. Fans didn't even much care for the idea of Mutt taking over, so it's not even a 'sex thing', it's a beloved character thing.

I've said it many times over in the past, but it still applies, this approach is just offensive to everyone in the equation: the original character, the fans of the original character, and to women, because it says 'you are not worth creating a new character for' and 'you can only be built up by stepping on the shoulders of men and stomping them beneath your heel' ... which is all rather gross, isn't it? It's a big, lazy, cliched middle finger to everyone who supports the IP.

Baffling decision making, truly bizarre and incomprehensible. I'm stunned that Kathleen Kennedy and her ilk are still allowed to sniff around so many prized IPs after so many failures. Kevin Feige, over on the Marvel side, could do with being moved on as well as that entire franchise has become so woefully tired-out with the generally inept and worn-out Phase 4. Disney desperately needed new leadership, too, not bringing back the same guy who set in-place many of these problems (and then ditched-out for the really difficult business part during the pandemic and all its financial fall-out, blaming it on his successor instead).

It's staggering that such highly paid people with so much control have so little understanding over what the real problems are with so many of these underwhelming or flat-out awful franchise outings we've had in recent years. It's not just at Disney, either - case in point: The Witcher. What a clusterfuck.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    If that is indeed how the films goes/ends, then fuck me what a balls up.

I won't be paying for that shite, let alone watch it.

That fella in the video could do with less rambling and get the fuck on with what he wants to say; the amount of announcing what he's about to tell you is irksome.
    I don't think anyone really knows what's in store for Indy 5 and, personally I couldn't give a toss. There's only been one great Indy movie and that's first one. The first sequel was very good and the rest has been shite. So, I have no faith that 5 will change that train of events.

As for YouTubers who make a living off of clicks on edgy video titles (especially when they call themselves Doomcock ) I have no interest in what they say in the slightest, about anything.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I don't think anyone really knows what's in store for Indy 5 and, personally I couldn't give a toss. There's only been one great Indy movie and that's first one. The first sequel was very good and the rest has been shite. So, I have no faith that 5 will change that train of events.
    For me the original trilolgy are the go to movies, with the 3rd being the weakest, but still having its good moments...

As for YouTubers who make a living off of clicks on edgy video titles (especially when they call themselves Doomcock ) I have no interest in what they say in the slightest, about anything.
    That sounds very Doomcock'ist to me
    To be fair, he does seem to release generally good info.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Indy 1 and 3 are where it's at for me - love them both. Temple of Doom feels a bit 'off' to me, even when I recently re-watched it for the umpteenth time. It feels out-of-place or kind of sadistic at times, really trying to gross out its audience instead of thrill them (like with the other movies).

I'm okay with Indy 4. Certainly the first act is the best portion of it and the over-use of CGI really harms it, and Mutt is a rather iffy character, but at least it still has a decent amount of respect for the character, unlike how Indy 5 seems to be going.

I've seen the odd Doomcock video, but I can't be doing with all the flim-flam and prevaricating. I got sick of Disparu as he evidently becomes just a one-note complainer, only making videos to hate on stuff (to be fair, some of the stuff he covers is justifiably hated or simply considered so naff that people don't bother watching in the first place). Then there's the likes of The Quartering and HeelvsBabyface, who I just can't be doing with as they really are like cartoon cliches, either pushing 'grumpy republican' vibes or carrying on like over-the-top performers gasping for clicks. The likes of ThatStarWarsGirl or MelanieMac (IIRC, the "Go Boom" chick) can make good points, but again I got put off by very 'clickbaity' approaches, the goddamned catchphrase sign-offs, and in the latter case an eye-rollingly stupid comment about "taxation being theft" (which is as idiotic a POV as "property is theft").

One who is more peripheral is Baggage Claim, who occasionally does videos on these sorts of topics, and she's made very good points in a much more calm and reasoned manner, limiting all that clickbaity performance to a minimum.

Critical Drinker is generally about the best as he's generally more even-handed and level-headed, but he skirts the cusp of falling into clickbait cliche at times - but he does make sure to highlight good films/shows both past and present (e.g. bigging-up Andor), and is a writer himself, so there's more to his perspective on these things.

Nerdrotic is probably the most tolerable of the more clickbaity-minded ones, although I always watch his shorter videos (never those hours-long group chats - I mean, four to six goddamned hours???!!!) with a fair amount of grains of salt getting chucked around. I could certainly do without all the silly enunciations of words like "racist" and "representation", because it really does diminish the good points he does make (and he seems to do a fair amount of research on things, or can speak with intelligence on things he's evidently well-versed in).

Where was I? Oh, yeah, Indy 5 ... fuck me it sounds awful.

Rising

United States
    If these rumors are true, this whole "woke" thingy is seriously getting out of hand.

Note: Temple of Doom is much in the same vein as Raiders, actually. Last Crusade is the one that really departed from the unapologetic in-your-face "darkness" of the two previous films. You want this "darkness" in Indiana Jones films. It is a must! Still, a well put together and entertaining action movie, but due to its "lighter" tone, not as good as the other two.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    For me the original trilolgy are the go to movies, with the 3rd being the weakest, but still having its good moments...
    Agreed. The third has always felt kinda stupid to me, because of that ridiculous, unfunny, comedy. I think it gets kudos because of the great casting of Connery as Indy's dad. Without that, it wouldn't be remembered as fondly as it is today.

I personally think the film is just far too dumb in too many places.

Now, that's not to say that the other two were po faced, serious, dramas. They weren't. But Spielberg's option to do egregious dumb shit in Last Crusade to somehow offset the lilly livered response to Temple of Doom was an extremely bad idea.

Administrator

England
    Agreed. The third has always felt kinda stupid to me, because of that ridiculous, unfunny, comedy. I think it gets kudos because of the great casting of Connery as Indy's dad. Without that, it wouldn't be remembered as fondly as it is today.

I personally think the film is just far too dumb in too many places.

Now, that's not to say that the other two were po faced, serious, dramas. They weren't. But Spielberg's option to do egregious dumb shit in Last Crusade to somehow offset the lilly livered response to Temple of Doom was an extremely bad idea.
    The third also had that epic start with the flashback to Indy as a teen etc...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Doom goes further than Raiders at various points, so much so that a new rating had to be created because of it - all that heart-ripping, monkey brains gobbling stuff, plus the regular terror than the blonde lady is put through during much of the movie (so many gruesome insect scenes, the beyond icky dinner etc).

Now, Doom does have the awesome mining cart sequence, plus the rope bridge, and the opening is pretty darn good fun. I do always find it curious how some folks whine about the 'nuke the fridge' moment, but are totally fine with the way Indy and pals escape unscathed from the plane in Doom.

Raiders has its tougher moments, and a great end to the three villainous guys at the climax, but they're scumbag Nazis for one thing and it's pretty brief for another. Even the impaled body early on, while gruesome, has more of a spook house element to it and, again, there's a sort of 'karma' to his demise as he betrayed Indy. Doom often has very icky and/or gruesome things happening to innocent people, which is where it strays over the line on occasion by comparison to Raiders. It's not a big leap beyond, but it's just enough to feel different.

Last Crusade might be more of a romp, but it's filled with so much entertainment that is quite fitting of the genre and the shorts that inspired the franchise in the first place, and it has some darker moments - the demise of one of the villains at the end was quite shocking when I first saw it as a kid, and as a grown up the scene at a book burning rally is truly chilling.