Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD 6x14 "Twice as Far" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I hated the original comic death so this time I agree with Kirkman. There is no way the showrunner and producers will kill someone like Heath or Tara in this season finale. The whole point of this upcoming death is the impact it has on Rick and vital for the story moving forward. Denise makes sense in this death because now Alexandria is in need of a Doctor. I won't say nothing more about that to avoid spoilers.
    Aren't we supposed to put comic spoilers behind tags. Not everyone is up to date with the comic.
    I am, but some others don't like it.

If Alexandria need a doctor, maybe they can dig up zombie porch dick pete and put him to work Survival of the Dead style!

Administrator

England
    Can anyone remind me of the events where Daryl let Dwight go, and he'd stolen the crossbow!? And his burn? I've forgotten!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Can anyone remind me of the events where Daryl let Dwight go, and he'd stolen the crossbow!? And his burn? I've forgotten!
    In the burnt forest.
    Dwight and his gang had stolen a gas truck and decided to leave the Saviours and planned to escape with it through the burnt forest, when Daryl came across them.
    Daryl spared them and helped them evade the Saviors (for a while at least). Then Dwight dicked Daryl over and stole his Bike and crossbow. Looks like Dwight, in the meantime, was picked back up by the Saviors and burnt as punishment for escaping, and seems to be fully on board with them now.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodanki View Post
    In the burnt forest.
    Dwight and his gang had stolen a gas truck and decided to leave the Saviours and planned to escape with it through the burnt forest, when Daryl came across them.
    Daryl spared them and helped them evade the Saviors (for a while at least). Then Dwight dicked Daryl over and stole his Bike and crossbow. Looks like Dwight, in the meantime, was picked back up by the Saviors and burnt as punishment for escaping, and seems to be fully on board with them now.
    Ta.

Who was Dwight with back then (when Daryl spared him)? Did he ride off alone on Daryl's bike or with someone?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Ta.

Who was Dwight with back then (when Daryl spared him)? Did he ride off alone on Daryl's bike or with someone?
    Was originally with 2 girls, one was killed by the greenhouse zombie. He left with the other chick on Daryls Bike. Lord knows where she is, either killed or back as part of the Saviours again like Dwight.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Ok folks clear something up for me. Watching the scene when Denise entered the room with the baby stuff. I read it as the baby was drowned for mercy and its shoe was sticking out of water but still on the foot. A coworker said the shoe was just there. So then I started questioning what I saw. Stuck at work now so what are your thoughts? If in fact the baby was drowned it would have turned. So with the water bloody, was there more to it? Ofcourse in beginning of outbreak, the virus wasn't immediately airborn as Jenner said that it eventually went airborn. Ok end ramble, what say you?
    I read it that a person and their baby hid in there.
    The person died and turned then ate the baby. Or maybe I am just twisted.
    Yep. I read it that the adult turned first (any food would undoubtedly go to the baby first, as any parent would), but once a walker, the parent/guardian then ate the infact (rather grim!) and all that was left was a lot of old, dry blood and that shoe. VERY GRIM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slayerized View Post
    I thought it was pretty crazy how she was still talking with the crossbow bolt through her head like she didn't even realize it and then just sort of faded off...I had to rewind and watch that a couple of times!
    Indeed! I thought that was a nice touch ... that trailing off of words, the slight confusion, her functions shutting down gradually ... the moment lingered!

You are correct, Andrea was the last.
    So we're overdue for one then! But just goes to show how few OG cast members we've got to play with, and arguably they kind of stuffed it a bit with Andrea's arc towards the end. It undoubtedly had impact, but that back half of season 3 was fairly uneven (some of the best episodes versus some of the weakest).

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Anyone else sense another lame pull back from the edge and killing of more minor or vaguely defined characters people haven't had much of a chance to grow attached to? I hope I'm wrong, but sometimes this show really goes from balls to the walls to utterly feckless.
    If a major player had died in this episode, it would have likely robbed power from a potential major player biting the dust in the finale. We're all assuming a major player will die in the finale - presumably one of the now very rare Season 1 cast members - although we don't know for sure. I would say we're definitely shaping up for a big character to go in the finale, but which big player is another story. I simultaneously look forward to - and dread - finding out in a couple of weeks time.

When it comes to OG Season 1 cast members, there's very few of them left now. Being that in the early seasons the cast was limited in size, and you still needed major players to die, those major deaths were going to come down to season one cast members (several of whom we'd already lost in season one) - so as a result very quickly we found ourselves with a small number of OG cast. Now we've had major players from seasons 2, 3, and 4 biting the dust as we've had time to bed them in and make them front row cast members ... but the point is we've got so few OG cast members, they have to ration their demises.

For me, The Walking Dead is ultimately a father/son story between Rick and Carl - a man shepherding his son, during his formative years, in the zombie apocalypse. In my mind TWD should end with Rick's death - but only once he's safely seen Carl through the apocalypse - and, again in my mind, Rick would be the first person to die post-ZA who wouldn't come back, acting as a signal that the virus has gone. To me, that's the over-riding story arc of the entirety of TWD.

Besides, it would just be daft to have nobody from Season 1 survive to the end of the show!

My money's on Glenn or Carol. They've both had a lot of 'climactic storytelling' going on, and for Glenn he's had a few seriously close calls in the last season's worth of episodes. If I had to pick between Glenn or Carol, as to which OG cast member might leave us in the finale, I'd pick Glenn.

That's assuming they don't knock us for six and do it next week ... but I think it'd much more likely be in the finale for maximum storytelling and "OMFG I can't wait for Season 7!" impact.

I hated the original comic death so this time I agree with Kirkman. There is no way the showrunner and producers will kill someone like Heath or Tara in this season finale. The whole point of this upcoming death is the impact it has on Rick and vital for the story moving forward. Denise makes sense in this death because now Alexandria is in need of a Doctor. I won't say nothing more about that to avoid spoilers.
    Yep. Denise's death, while she may be a relatively new character, does have a huge impact on Alexandria - no Doctor!

As for the original 'arrow in the eye while mid-sentence' death from the comics, it was a big shock - but beyond that, what purpose did it serve, really? They've changed some things and kept many other things, so I think they've struck an ideal balance. At this point the deaths of named characters, main or supporting, should have an impact in some way to the overall story.

He rode off with one of the girls he was with (the other died in that melted greenhouse, remember?). It was two girls and a guy (Dwight) that Daryl encountered in the burned out woods (after he, Sasha, and Abraham had been ambushed in a gunfight - when they were dealing with/had finished dealing with leading the walker herd away from Alexandria in 6A). They were almost on-side when they screwed him over. In the woods Daryl was captured by them, then hung around them for a bit - but when the Saviours came back, Daryl was going to ditch them, but came back and helped them survive. Evidently they didn't trust Daryl enough to go with him and opted for what they knew, regardless of the inevitable punishments that would be waiting for them.

I must admit I'd forgotten, until reminded, that Daryl and Dwight had already met. I've only watched these episodes once, so I don't get burned out on them, and then when I get the Blu-Ray it'll be like they're brand new.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Ahh yes! I thought I remembered him biking off with a girl!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Minion, you're idea on Ricks fate is brilliant!!!!! I've always hoped that Rick survives the ZA but his death signaling the close of ZA and the starting over of life. Count me in. But if Carl is killed off the show before that then I'm gonna need Rick to live.

United States
    Aren't we supposed to put comic spoilers behind tags. Not everyone is up to date with the comic.
    I am, but some others don't like it.

If Alexandria need a doctor, maybe they can dig up zombie porch dick pete and put him to work Survival of the Dead style!
    I didn't spoil anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Minion, you're idea on Ricks fate is brilliant!!!!! I've always hoped that Rick survives the ZA but his death signaling the close of ZA and the starting over of life. Count me in. But if Carl is killed off the show before that then I'm gonna need Rick to live.
    I always visioned Rick eventually dying and Carl taking over; a passing of the torch. I do like Minion's idea, though, I've never heard anything like that before so kudos.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Being Attacked

United States
    I didn't spoil anything.

- - - Updated - - -

I always visioned Rick eventually dying and Carl taking over; a passing of the torch. I do like Minion's idea, though, I've never heard anything like that before so kudos.
    If you ever read "Reign of the Dead" that story had something similar at the end where their main character was bit and then got sick but never turned signaling the end of the zombie apocalypse in that world...Funny I always thought Kirkman stole ideas from Reign of the Dead (among other places) i.e The Prison - but that's for another thread I suppose...

United States
    If you ever read "Reign of the Dead" that story had something similar at the end where their main character was bit and then got sick but never turned signaling the end of the zombie apocalypse in that world...Funny I always thought Kirkman stole ideas from Reign of the Dead (among other places) i.e The Prison - but that's for another thread I suppose...
    If I recall correctly, Kirkman's original idea was a high school before settling on a prison.

I heard of that book, RotD, but I've never read it.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    It's how I would like to see TWD come to an end, let's say ... my ideal vision of how the story would conclude. But yeah, if Carl was ever killed off I would absolutely need Rick to survive. I think out of that paring of father and son one of them must survive the end, and I think the 'next generation' aspect that Carl would engender would be the most sensible route. I really like the idea of Rick shepherding his son not only through his formative years, but through his formative years in a zombie apocalypse, and then ultimately seeing him through it all.

Oh yeah, Reign of the Dead. I read that (and the second book) ... that goes way back now, I can't remember how far. Whether Kirkman would have actually read it is another issue entirely, there's always so much material out there and two writers can have the same idea, or similar ideas, on the same subject. I think a prison, the idea being that it is impenetrable, is something that generally sticks out to numerous fans of the zombie oeuvre as a logical choice as somewhere to hold up. I wrote a zombie short story, many a moon ago now when I was a teenager, that took place in a prison, too.

- - - Updated - - -

If I recall correctly, Kirkman's original idea was a high school before settling on a prison.
    Oh aye? I didn't know that.

Reminds me of my high school, which was built in the 1950s with cold war paranoia and nuclear fear going on - it was built with a wide, straight corridor running down the entire length of it (before various expansions were made over the years) so that it could act as an emergency hospital in the event of a nuclear strike (picturing gurneys on either side with plenty more room to move fast up and down the distance of the building). I pondered a zombie apocalypse in that school building when I was there, but it was just too impractical to defend - too many large, low windows, shoddy old doors, and the like.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Reminds me of my high school, which was built in the 1950s with cold war paranoia and nuclear fear going on - it was built with a wide, straight corridor running down the entire length of it (before various expansions were made over the years) so that it could act as an emergency hospital in the event of a nuclear strike (picturing gurneys on either side with plenty more room to move fast up and down the distance of the building). I pondered a zombie apocalypse in that school building when I was there, but it was just too impractical to defend - too many large, low windows, shoddy old doors, and the like.
    My school was exactly the same, big long corridor going down the middle wide enough for 3 gurneys.
    Also the same full length, low windows and dodgy doors.
    That was when I was there though, these days in the days of child abductions and whatnot, the school looks more like a prison, the entirety of its perimeter is covered in 8 foot high fences with razor wire on the top, and the main doors have been replaced by these big steel things that you have to press a button and get buzzed in to.
    And this is in the UK!
    We haven't gone quite the same route as the US yet with metal detectors and the like, but thats because we don't sell guns in our supermarkets to crazy folk

United States
    Just rewatched it and caught some foreshadowing between Denise and Daryl before the tracks. After comparing Daryl to her brother who she claimed was strong, fearless and sometimes angry which is a dangerous combo. Daryl has the first 2 traits but now has added anger. What does this mean exactly? We are about to find out. I am too emotionally invested in this show and characters and watching has become stressful now. Lol. Talk about a rock and a hard place.

UK
    Just rewatched it and caught some foreshadowing between Denise and Daryl before the tracks. After comparing Daryl to her brother who she claimed was strong, fearless and sometimes angry which is a dangerous combo. Daryl has the first 2 traits but now has added anger. What does this mean exactly? We are about to find out. I am too emotionally invested in this show and characters and watching has become stressful now. Lol. Talk about a rock and a hard place.
    Yup these last two eps are gonna be brutal I bet