Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: TWD 6x16 "Last Day on Earth" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

United States
    Did anyone else pay attention to Dwights mannerisms? Did any of you feel like he wasn't happy or proud to be a part of that event?

Dwights existence makes me hope its not Daryl. I want to see that play out. When he first appeared in TWD he didn't appear to fit Savior ideals. He crossed Daryl but he didn't kill him. Then he shoots Daryl but purposely not to kill him. Minus the Denise event its almost as if he knows Daryl is a good guy and maybe he owes him a life debt? Maybe he knows Negan wouldn't use Lucille on an injured person? Granted he told Daryl his aim was off and Daryl was his target but could he have been lying because he was in front of other saviors?

Or I could be going insane and Dwight having Daryl's crossbow could spell doom for a certain someone. Food for thought.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I understand what you guys are saying and it's a good perspective. I suppose my issue is more to do with the writing and timing which, to me, is way off. Carol's been killing people left right and centre. She's been duplicitous and cautious with regards to enemies. She's fooled a lot of people into false senses of security and has delivered whammos to people on numerous occasions, because her character has grown to accept and even embrace the need to kill or be killed with regards to certain people in this world. And all this has happened over a long period of time in the show too.

But now, all of a sudden, she has a crisis because Mags is up the duff and she found a crucifix?

Nah. It's not a good or convincing story line for her at this stage of the game. Maybe series 7 will expand on it or just drop it. Who knows.

Contrasted with Morgan though, who has found some sort of moral code and has tried really hard to live by it. But circumstances have forced him in a very clear way to see that his code is actually a detriment, by and large, to both him and the people he cares about.

Morgan's transition is being handled fairly well, but Carol's stinks. It smacks of simply having Carol's freak out coincide with Morgan's "awakening".

Sure, Carol has had time to think about things, but her crisis came on too sudden in S06E14 to be really compelling (I actually thought she was faking). Maybe her confrontation with Paula showed a few things up as they seemed to come from a similar abusive background. But it would have much been better to have shown her get to this stage in a slower build up while she was in Alexandria. We're talking about going from a hard ass to rolling around on the ground whining about wanting to die in the space of a few episodes.

It's incredibly jarring.
    Look at it from this perspective. Carol really started breaking down once Sam was killed. She planted all that fear in him that ultimately took him down; his family too. The playback to Carol's voice going through his head as well as the cookie left at his grave wasn't just added for the hell of it. It's there for a reason. Deep down Carol knows she messed with Sam's head and no doubt feels a bit responsible. Was it a bit jarring? Sure, I get that. I see your point and it's completely understandable on your end.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Did anyone else pay attention to Dwights mannerisms? Did any of you feel like he wasn't happy or proud to be a part of that event?

Dwights existence makes me hope its not Daryl. I want to see that play out. When he first appeared in TWD he didn't appear to fit Savior ideals. He crossed Daryl but he didn't kill him. Then he shoots Daryl but purposely not to kill him. Minus the Denise event its almost as if he knows Daryl is a good guy and maybe he owes him a life debt? Maybe he knows Negan wouldn't use Lucille on an injured person? Granted he told Daryl his aim was off and Daryl was his target but could he have been lying because he was in front of other saviors?

Or I could be going insane and Dwight having Daryl's crossbow could spell doom for a certain someone. Food for thought.
    I didn't notice his mannerisms. There is a very interesting story between Daryl and Dwight. It's pretty fascinating considering what goes down in the books. It can go either way really and that has me curious.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Rising

United States

I was a bit puzzled by Dwight too. He did not seem to fit in with the Saviors, that's why he was escaping them. But for some reason that is not clear yet, he is now back in their ranks again. When he reappeared with that burn scar on his face at first I thought he might be acting on his own with some friends, not with the Saviors, but after the season finale it is clear that he is back with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Mmm ... perhaps ... but what's to say they wouldn't get taken in the woods, particularly on their own? You might be fine, but just as easily you might not. Also, even if you did blow them up, you'd still have to clear all the flaming debris out of the road - and with an explosion like that, you'd possibly attract attention from nearby roads. The Saviours likely had walkie talkies and were doing check-ins with each other - as soon as that team didn't check in another group (or more) would come running while Team Rick are scooting searing hot metal and charred bodies out of the way. There's no easy solution to the road blocks.

Interesting that Gimple said, on the 'web only Talking Dead after show' clip, that there were other roadblocks we didn't see in the episode. So these guys really have their shit together now. They got caught with their trousers down to begin with, tried to react in a somewhat haphazard manner that underestimated Team Rick's capabilities, so now they've gone FULL FORCE and have triumphed. Sad times for the Ricktatorship.
    The team member with the RPGs would not go deep into the woods, just enough to be under the cover of the vegetation. He would stay near the road and would proceed cautiously until he is in range of the roadblock, no need to get too close to it either (RPGs have a high probability hit rate even at 100 meters, and at 50 meters hitting the target is almost guaranteed.) The point is to get close enough to deploy the RPGs without being spotted by the people blocking the road. After the deed is done, the team does not need to clear up the flaming vehicles and corpses from the road, they simply pass by the side of the road. There is enough room on the sides of the road for the RV to get through. By the time any other Saviors realize what happened, they would be gone.

From the way those roadblocks are set up, the Saviors obviously have no idea that the Alexandrians are in possession of RPGs, otherwise their barricades would be more protected and they would stand behind them, not in front. The way they stay there in front of their vehicles in closely packed groups waiting for the Alexandrians to show up would be very easy pickings for someone armed with RPGs. One well placed RPG right in their midst would take care of most of them in one single hit. The remaining ones on the periphery who might manage to survive the blast and shrapnel would be gunned down by the rest of the team.

It sure beats the heck out of bouncing from one roadblock to the next, fully realizing that you are being led into a trap (even the guy at the first roadblock already dropped a very blatant hint that all the roads to the Hilltop had been blocked: "OK, friend. Plenty of ways to get to where you're going!", he says in a sarcastic tone; they should have smelled the rat right there and then), and finally getting caught in a hopeless situation where you are at their mercy.

Super Moderator

UK
    Do they not know that Team Rick has an RPG? Some of their men were blown to smithereens in 6x09 - at the time they didn't know it was Team Rick, but now they do - and there's only so many ways you could blow up a gang of bikers with the drop on you. They might not know specifically they have an RPG in their possession, but something like it, or some kind of explosives.

Facestabber - more good points regarding Dwight/Daryl. It could go either way! It's all quite complex, it could be anyone and it could just as easily not be anyone we theorise because of multiple reasons. The only major hurdle they have is keeping it secret - and I'll be particularly surprised if they do manage that. Gimple (or was it Nicotero?) did mention in an interview, or made an allusion, that they've played with the timeline before (so, in other words, they might do that again in Season 7A - so you could have the dead character's actor on-set filming scenes for events that took place beforehand). We'll see, eh?

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Look at it from this perspective. Carol really started breaking down once Sam was killed. She planted all that fear in him that ultimately took him down; his family too. The playback to Carol's voice going through his head as well as the cookie left at his grave wasn't just added for the hell of it. It's there for a reason. Deep down Carol knows she messed with Sam's head and no doubt feels a bit responsible. Was it a bit jarring? Sure, I get that. I see your point and it's completely understandable on your end.
    Actually, I forgot about that little creep. That's a good catch.

I have a few days holliers coming up this month and bugger all to do, so I might do a marathon of series 6. It might make more sense then.

I've always maintained that this show is better when it's run through in bulk. Series 2, for instance, was a whole different ballgame when I watched it in one go.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Actually, I forgot about that little creep. That's a good catch.

I have a few days holliers coming up this month and bugger all to do, so I might do a marathon of series 6. It might make more sense then.

I've always maintained that this show is better when it's run through in bulk. Series 2, for instance, was a whole different ballgame when I watched it in one go.
    Season 2 was so good during a marathon run. I just loved Shane's story and "Pretty Much Dead Already" is perhaps still my favorite episode. Other than Rick, Shane is my favorite character. Bernthal killed it.

As far as the RPG's go, good point as to why they didn't bring it. Knowing the Saviors are still out there and it worked once I'm surprised the thought never crossed their minds. Then again, I could see a situation where Abraham would simply just forget to bring it. It can happen lol.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    I loved season 2. And yes it is much smoother with binge watching. When that last episode aired and it panned up to see a prison in the back ground I was overwhelmed with excitement. That was a peak of excitement for me knowing that this show has people addicted and it was about to explode.

United States
    I loved season 2. And yes it is much smoother with binge watching. When that last episode aired and it panned up to see a prison in the back ground I was overwhelmed with excitement. That was a peak of excitement for me knowing that this show has people addicted and it was about to explode.
    That was my favorite close to a season. Rick laying down the law ("Send me a postcard." Lol) to the tease of the prison. Also lets not forget once Daryl put down Dale and said "Sorry, brother", that was the moment the world fell in love with Daryl.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 08-Apr-2016 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Daryl

United States
    That was my favorite close to a season. Rick laying down the law ("Send me a postcard." Lol) to the tease of the prison. Also lets not forget once Daryl put down Dale and said "Sorry, brother", that was the moment the world fell in love with Daryl.
    Regarding Daryl yes. Remember when Rick thanked him for that and Daryl responds "you shouldn't have to do all the heavy lifting". He had some funny quotes to. "Am I the only one Zen around here".

Super Moderator

UK
    Season 2 was so good during a marathon run. I just loved Shane's story and "Pretty Much Dead Already" is perhaps still my favorite episode. Other than Rick, Shane is my favorite character. Bernthal killed it.
    Regarding Daryl yes. Remember when Rick thanked him for that and Daryl responds "you shouldn't have to do all the heavy lifting". He had some funny quotes to. "Am I the only one Zen around here".
    Yeah, binge watching often makes it easier to see - and appreciate - all the intricate little things that go on across episodes and between episodes. The pace often feels better at times, too - particularly in Season 2, as you folks have been talking about. I agree on Season 2, when binge watched it patches over the very slow page of the first half (which does feel a bit padded out, it must be said), and it's got a great bit of focused character stuff going on between Rick and Shane. The back half had some superb episodes - all-time great episodes. It was good to see Daryl morph a bit during season 2 and become a member of the group after his little sojourn into the woods alone (when he came back with severed ears strung around his neck, just before Andrea shot him) - as mentioned, when he put down Dale that was a really heartfelt moment for Daryl, a real hero moment.

Thinking of Season 2, it's like looking back on the heady days of youth.

United States
    It's amazing going back and watching season 2 and realizing how much of the budget was cut. There would be episodes that would only feature one Walker haha. Also, Daryl calling Lori "Olive Oil" was damn priceless.

It's amazing how far this show has come.

Great Britain

This post got me thinking why did Dwight shoot Daryl, was just a dick move or was there something else to this reason hmm ok on to spoiler zone ish with the idea me and my lass came up with.

Ok as we know from the comics Negan has a bit of a weird morale compass when it come to who meets lucille, it's not normally women, children or the wounded, cause hes wants to show the others prisoners that the strong of the group can't save them and demoralize them even more.

He wont kill Rick as he needs him to work for him, I'm pretty sure the women and Carl are safe due to hes morale compass, Maggie is double safe in my head as a women plus ill, that leave Glenn, Arron, Daryl, Eugene and Abraham, for me my moneys on Abraham cause of the no shit attitude he was giving off.

Anyway enough rambling and on to the Dwight reason for randomly shooting Daryl in the shoulder, did he do it to save him from Negan, hear me out Dwight knows Negan's strategy when it comes to new groups the saviors, one of said group meets lucille I'm guessing a strong member. Does Dwight think he owes Daryl from the first time they met and did this to save him.

God I went on longer then I though it would, this was way shorter in my head, what do you guess think Dwight the jerk or Dwight the savior of Daryl?

Dead

United States
    My gripe was with how scared everyone was in this episode. They've been surviving a long time. Maggie and Carol strolled into that observatory and layed waste to everyone, slowly, methodically. They all faced off with the Gov and his tribe and won. Negan says right off the bat he doesn't want to kill them, he wants them to work. There's the path to salvation. Negan's gonna kill one, they know that. They should've all been staring Negan in the eye like Abraham did!

A side note: The baseball bat to the head was disturbing in itself. When I was younger I had to hit a guy in the head with a bat in self defense. Totally justified, he came into my house attacking my family and friends. But the sound that the bat made when it hit his head still makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it. And that was almost how I felt watching Negan beat (whoever) over the head. The sounds were not realistic though. In reality, it sounds more like a bat hitting a telephone pole, or an old hardwood tree with no bark. With a bit of a hollow sound, which must be from the brain pan. It's a sound you would never think would come from anywhere on the human body.
    It also pushes back against you, meaning the bat bounces off the head enough for it to spring back and hit you with good force.
    Trust me when I say that unless you're a psychopath, the experience of hitting someone in the head with a wooden bat is a mentally traumatic experience for you. I'd say even more mentally traumatic than being the one getting hit.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    My gripe was with how scared everyone was in this episode. They've been surviving a long time. Maggie and Carol strolled into that observatory and layed waste to everyone, slowly, methodically. They all faced off with the Gov and his tribe and won. Negan says right off the bat he doesn't want to kill them, he wants them to work. There's the path to salvation. Negan's gonna kill one, they know that. They should've all been staring Negan in the eye like Abraham did!

A side note: The baseball bat to the head was disturbing in itself. When I was younger I had to hit a guy in the head with a bat in self defense. Totally justified, he came into my house attacking my family and friends. But the sound that the bat made when it hit his head still makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it. And that was almost how I felt watching Negan beat (whoever) over the head. The sounds were not realistic though. In reality, it sounds more like a bat hitting a telephone pole, or an old hardwood tree with no bark. With a bit of a hollow sound, which must be from the brain pan. It's a sound you would never think would come from anywhere on the human body.
    It also pushes back against you, meaning the bat bounces off the head enough for it to spring back and hit you with good force.
    Trust me when I say that unless you're a psychopath, the experience of hitting someone in the head with a wooden bat is a mentally traumatic experience for you. I'd say even more mentally traumatic than being the one getting hit.
    But this isn't a normal bat. Her name is Lucille and she's awesome.

And she has barbwire.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    This post got me thinking why did Dwight shoot Daryl, was just a dick move or was there something else to this reason hmm ok on to spoiler zone ish with the idea me and my lass came up with.

Ok as we know from the comics Negan has a bit of a weird morale compass when it come to who meets lucille, it's not normally women, children or the wounded, cause hes wants to show the others prisoners that the strong of the group can't save them and demoralize them even more.

He wont kill Rick as he needs him to work for him, I'm pretty sure the women and Carl are safe due to hes morale compass, Maggie is double safe in my head as a women plus ill, that leave Glenn, Arron, Daryl, Eugene and Abraham, for me my moneys on Abraham cause of the no shit attitude he was giving off.

Anyway enough rambling and on to the Dwight reason for randomly shooting Daryl in the shoulder, did he do it to save him from Negan, hear me out Dwight knows Negan's strategy when it comes to new groups the saviors, one of said group meets lucille I'm guessing a strong member. Does Dwight think he owes Daryl from the first time they met and did this to save him.

God I went on longer then I though it would, this was way shorter in my head, what do you guess think Dwight the jerk or Dwight the savior of Daryl?
    Excellent theory on Dwight. I wouldn't be surprised if that comes into play.

United States
    It's amazing going back and watching season 2 and realizing how much of the budget was cut. There would be episodes that would only feature one Walker haha. Also, Daryl calling Lori "Olive Oil" was damn priceless.

It's amazing how far this show has come.
    Olive oil. Lol. I was trying to remember that comment. Thanks moon. Great stuff

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post

Holy shit Babomb is back!!!