Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Rogue One (film)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It's pinch of salt time, isn't it? Perhaps a fairly big pinch.

Frankly, there's plenty of films that have been released that would have benefitted from significant reshoots.

Speaking of TFA - I watched it for the second time last night. Still jolly good fun, lots of tingles. Will be digging into the extra features later on.
    Oh, you should enjoy those! Great documentary that covers the whole project from conception to release.

Undisclosed
    And the trailer is out. Still very hyped about this.

Last edited by wayzim; 12-Aug-2016 at 11:33 PM. Reason: B'cuz

Administrator

England
    Fingers crossed...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Yep, that looks pretty darn groovy ... might even go and check this out at the cinema.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I love that the tone of this one seems to be more serious with a bit less of the fantasy element to keep it light hearted and almost Saving Private Ryan crossed with Empire...

Ireland
    One would hope.

I think the market is there for a more "serious" Star Wars. I only wish that the edits that were ordered by Disney earlier this year to "lighten" the piece doesn't end up wrecking it. There's little worse than tacked on humour, ruining tension and falling flat on its face into the bargain. We may go in expecting 'Wrath of Khan' and get 'The Final Frontier' instead. Yeh, I know that's Trek, but my point is efforts to lighten tone can ruin an otherwise good film.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    I'm getting a Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven vibe from this movie. . . .and I am ok with this. . . .
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Not gonna watch any marketing whatsoever.
    Maybe this will be the film that gets me into SW again?

I like what Im hearing.

Administrator

England
    Well, the reviews seem pretty +ve...

I'll be seeing it on the 27th...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Movie was excellent. Minor flaws but loved it.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Movie was excellent. Minor flaws but loved it.
    Seeing it tomorrow...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Just watched it this afternoon. I rather enjoyed it. Took a bit to get into the vibe of it (particularly as it was almost entirely new characters - and set adjacent to the main thrust of the story we've been used to for forty years), but once I got into the groove I rather dug it.

I even found myself welling up a bit at certain moments (seriously, proper spoilers ahead, they've been tagged and you've been warned - so don't whinge at me )...

e.g. Jyn seeing the hologram message from her father - whom she hadn't seen in so many years after the tragedy of the opening scene ... plus some of the deaths: K-2SO sealing the doors while being over-run with storm troopers, Saw Gerrera standing upright as Jedha's exploding horizon sweeps towards him, the whole bit with Chirrut Îmwe and Baze Malbus and the "I'm one with the Force, the Force is with me" chant ... plus, that final moment as Jyn and Cassian sit there on the tropical beach as brothers in arms, interlink their hands, and suddenly - yet almost transcendently - get swept away in a blaze of white light.

A nice bit of humour dotted throughout - e.g. the 'bag over the head' moment, K-2SO (took a bit of warming up to him, but once I was in I was in) - which was much needed to balance the tone as it is quite dark and gritty at times. It is, as they were saying, kind of like a 'war film' in some regards. Of course, it is set during the very dark days of the Empire/Rebellion balance of power with hope feeling a long way away, so the tone would be dark, but it was good that there were triumphant moments and funny moments to balance things out. It's impressive in its darkness and grim tone for the rest of it, mind.

So yeah - I was quite impressed.

As for you-know-which-baddie getting resurrected via CGI, I didn't find it "offensive" at all (seriously, the precious petals of today's youth/social media need to calm down - besides, surely the estate of you-know-who would have to approve it first), and it worked pretty darn well. There were times when a movement of the eye or mouth seemed a bit too 'smooth' (the imperfection or 'twitchiness' of a real human's face being absent at times) ... but it worked pretty well. The other instance was a little more noticeable, but was brief enough to be pulled off.

Administrator

England
    I thought it was"OK"...

For me, it felt a bit rushed and a bit thin. Forest Whitaker for example, for all the effort put into the character just seemed to come and go, and not really do much. And this was the case with a number of other character too. The plot had no real significant twists or turns too, so overall a good effort, but nothing special IMHO.

So, given the last two films, which were both OK, but that's about all IMHO, I'm losing my interest in the franchise...
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I thought it was"OK"...

For me, it felt a bit rushed and a bit thin. Forest Whitaker for example, for all the effort put into the character just seemed to come and go, and not really do much. And this was the case with a number of other character too. The plot had no real significant twists or turns too, so overall a good effort, but nothing special IMHO.

So, given the last two films, which were both OK, but that's about all IMHO, I'm losing my interest in the franchise...
    Watch it again, give it another go without any hype attached to it. If the prequels didn't sour you this movie definitely shouldn't.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    i was rather unimpressed by this one. i enjoyed the force awakens for what it was, but this film just didn't do it for me. none of the characters were all that likeable, the plot wasn't very original or anything we've not seen in other films, and the call-backs and inclusions of other characters felt forced and nothing but fan-service. vader's costume looked goofy and putting him in the film was a cheap way to get asses in seats.

this will be the first star wars film i won't be adding to my home collection, and unless my kid grows up and wants to watch it one of these days, i doubt i'll ever waste time re-watching it.