Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Rogue One (film)

Ireland

Star Wars: Rogue One (film)

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    At this rate, the Star Wars franchise will be devalued in 3-4 years time.

It does look like a better film than the Force Awakens tho, and that film wasn't bad. It just wasn't good. It's a shame that Disney's treatment of this franchise (treating it as "one film per year"-money machine) will make every new installment less worth than the latest one.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    At this rate, the Star Wars franchise will be devalued in 3-4 years time.

It does look like a better film than the Force Awakens tho, and that film wasn't bad. It just wasn't good. It's a shame that Disney's treatment of this franchise (treating it as "one film per year"-money machine) will make every new installment less worth than the latest one.
    Dude, maybe I could share your pessimism with another film but this one looks too on point. I'd rather give merits or demerits to each movie as it comes along. I'm jazzed for now.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    Dude, maybe I could share your pessimism with another film but this one looks too on point. I'd rather give merits or demerits to each movie as it comes along. I'm jazzed for now.
    Yeah, you're probably right. I think it'll be a fun ride. Nice to see them ditch the Jedi's for abit too.

Super Moderator

UK
    Looks nifty. I'm not super stoked, but I'm certainly interested. I'll probably get more into the vibe nearer the time.

What's pretty cool about it is that it allows the filmmakers to play around in that 'OG Star Wars' world - that 70s/80s era of the franchise with all the old style costumes and tech etc. Whether or not it'll be as gripping as a story we don't know the end to will be another thing - we already know the Death Star gets blown up in A New Hope, so hopefully it won't feel like a damp squib in that regard. Movies have worked where you know what happens at the end (e.g. only idiots don't know the Titanic sinks at the end), so hopefully Rogue One ("a Star Wars story") pulls it off.

One thing - slow piano versions of the themetune - can we stop with this shit in trailers? It's becoming such an irksome cliche. They did the same thing in that nu-Ghostbusters trailer.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Looks nifty. I'm not super stoked, but I'm certainly interested. I'll probably get more into the vibe nearer the time.

What's pretty cool about it is that it allows the filmmakers to play around in that 'OG Star Wars' world - that 70s/80s era of the franchise with all the old style costumes and tech etc. Whether or not it'll be as gripping as a story we don't know the end to will be another thing - we already know the Death Star gets blown up in A New Hope, so hopefully it won't feel like a damp squib in that regard. Movies have worked where you know what happens at the end (e.g. only idiots don't know the Titanic sinks at the end), so hopefully Rogue One ("a Star Wars story") pulls it off.

One thing - slow piano versions of the themetune - can we stop with this shit in trailers? It's becoming such an irksome cliche. They did the same thing in that nu-Ghostbusters trailer.
    I honestly didn't even think about it, but maybe I haven't been exposed to enough trailers where that happens. But there is one thing that's really annoys me; and that is the dweeb trolls who are already out in Force bitching about the female lead. As if there's some feminist conspiracy to inflict a girl power theme upon the clearly macho Star Wars universe. Really dudes? We're only two films into the new series, so get a grip and grow a pair. You're only embarrassing yourselves.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    I honestly didn't even think about it, but maybe I haven't been exposed to enough trailers where that happens. But there is one thing that's really annoys me; and that is the dweeb trolls who are already out in Force bitching about the female lead. As if there's some feminist conspiracy to inflict a girl power theme upon the clearly macho Star Wars universe. Really dudes? We're only two films into the new series, so get a grip and grow a pair. You're only embarrassing yourselves.
    There's a phenomena called the norm of whiteness or something like that. In almost all western produced pieces of entertainment, all straight ordinary people (often the heroes "caught in events out of their control") are white males. It's so entrenched into our culturual mindset that now, recently, when we start seeing female or black "ordinary persons" acting as heroes, people cry out against political correctness gone to far. You don't need to look any further than the upcoming Ghostbusters film. We have a thousand films with white male leads and nobody bats an eye. But as soon as you produce an all-female lead action adventure everyone loses their mind.

I'm glad Disney is going this way.

Ireland
    I clicked on the trailer vid thinking meh. I'm not mad on the idea of these spin off films. But, by the end I was ready for December.

Although there's not much to go on in the trailer, it looks like a bit of a "spy film" set in the Star Wars wars universe. Maybe a little more stealthy and less flash bang.

Plus real Stormtroopers, AT-ATs, Star Destroyers, etc.

All equals Tony being 5 again.

Frankly, I wasn't big on the "story" in 'The Force Awakens'. It was grand seeing a new Star Wars film that didn't suck balls. But that film has a lot of problems IMO, one of them being that I kind of knew the gist of it before the first 10 minutes were over.

But, this trailer has my mind flying off in all sorts of directions.

Oh lad...if I ever hear that kind of shite again it'll be too soon.

Really had enough of it now at this stage.

Although, in fairness, I didn't even notice the first time I watched the trailer.

United States
    It was an odd sensation seeing in the promo an actual film set before Ep.IV with all the familiar set dressing, costumes, vehicles, etc, that has nothing to do w/ the "main" cast & story line.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I can already see all the people just now jumping on the star wars hype going insane with "where's Rey, Finn, and Luke?!?!"

Maybe they'll change it to "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.....seven films ago...."

It does look quite good judging by the trailer, though. I'm still more hyped for Johnson's Episode Eight. I'm already feeling "Empire" levels of awesome just from the possibilities and director.

Super Moderator

United States
    I definitely got goose bumps from the teaser trailer, even the 2nd time I watched it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    So there's talks of loads of reshoots (40% of the film + rewrites)?:-
    - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75345
    - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75352

Indeed my friend who works at Pinewood, say's, "there's lots of activity all of a sudden"
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    That doesn't sound good. 40%.

It's possible that the film was a little bit too gritty for the Disney execs and they want to try a emulate the stupider parts of 'The Force Awakens' and dumb things down with dumb ass "comic relief".

Which will be really unfortunate IMO.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It does seem like quite a lot but at the same time, reshoots are common practice. Especially with big event films, probably even more so expected for the first ever Star Wars spin-off. The rumors were also that JJ Abrams and Christopher McQuarrie were taking over directing duties, but McQuarrie quickly released a statement clearing it up that he was hired to work on the script in the early stages, which continued into filming. They didn't even have a completed script during filming, so reshoots were always factored into the production process, and this is all part of the planned production. He went on to say that Edwards has made a fabulous film and all these rumors are completely false.

It's Star Wars, so it's obviously a big target for online film reporting click bait. The same kind of things were reported for Force Awakens. I personally don't put any stock into these sorts of reports because too many sites use it to stir up the fan drama in an attempt to get more visitors.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I personally don't put any stock into these sorts of reports because too many sites use it to stir up the fan drama in an attempt to get more visitors.
    It's pinch of salt time, isn't it? Perhaps a fairly big pinch.

Frankly, there's plenty of films that have been released that would have benefitted from significant reshoots.

Speaking of TFA - I watched it for the second time last night. Still jolly good fun, lots of tingles. Will be digging into the extra features later on.